Plastic winddhields

Old August 20th 04, 02:48 PM
Elaine again ^,,^

Default Plastic winddhields

Are Saturn windshields plastic?

Old August 20th 04, 04:21 PM
Tenzo

"Elaine again ^,,^" > wrote in message
> Are Saturn windshields plastic?

Yes, all components are plastic

Old August 20th 04, 06:20 PM
C. E. White

"Elaine again ^,,^" wrote:

> Are Saturn windshields plastic?

No, they are laminated safety glass, just like all other US
production vehicles. Laminated safety glass has two layers
of glass sandwiching a layer of thin plastic. See
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question508.htm .

Ed
Old August 20th 04, 06:21 PM
C. E. White

Tenzo wrote:

> "Elaine again ^,,^" > wrote in message
> > Are Saturn windshields plastic?
> >

> Yes, all components are plastic

LOL - yeah right.

Ed
Old August 20th 04, 09:58 PM
Elaine again ^,,^

I think my '95 has a plastic windshield. When you touch glass it's cool,
when I touch my windshield it's not. I see the path the wipers make, it
can't be removed with Windex. Maybe with a non-abrasive kitchen sink
cleaner?

Old August 21st 04, 01:46 AM
marx404

ROTFLMAO!!!!! You should try a soft brillo pad, lol! Ok, I just had to add
to this rediculous post before setting this poor lady straight, you guys are
so bad! (or was this a joke post all along?)

NO, Saturn windshields are GLASS! If your windshield is pitted or grooved,
it is caused by dirty or worn windshield wipers, or from cleaning the glass
with anything not made specifically to clean glass. The dirt will embed into
the glass and scratch it, which is what happened to you. I suggest that you
take your car to an auto glass repair shop and have the scratches repaired
then immediately replace your windshield wipers. You should replace your
wiper blades every 6 months or when you feel that they are dry or cracked.
If you use them longer than that, or without wiper fluid, you will
ultimately scratch the glass.

Lastly, it is only the side body panels and bumpers that are made of
polymer, not the whole car, lol.
marx404

Old August 21st 04, 03:22 PM
Elaine again ^,,^

Thanks for setting me straight Marx.

Old August 22nd 04, 03:03 PM
Dana Rohleder

It is also very likely you have a nasty film of road grime, that virtually
nothing can get off. Two things can work for this - a really strong solvent
that they use in body shops to remove waxes & oils from the surface before
they paint it, and the other is a mild abrasive designed for glass. Rain-X
makes a cleaning product that works fairly well that is designed to clean
filmy windshields. I forget the name, but I have used it and it cleans well,
but it should be used only occasionally, as it will likely create a haze
similar to what you would get from using copper wool (NOT a brillo pad!!).

If your windshield is actually scratched, you likely caused the damage by
running your wipers dry - without using washer fluid. Make sure you never
run your wipers unless the windshield is wet. Even when it just starts to
sprinkle, spray your washers when you first turn on the wipers. This lifts
the dust/grit and keeps the wipers from grinding it into the glass like
sandpaper.

Dana Rohleder
Port Kent, NY

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop
thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do
we."
G.W. Bush - Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

Old August 22nd 04, 06:45 PM
marx404

Elaine, I use an inexpensive wiper brand called Rainy Day wipers. I get mine
at Bennet Auto or Rose here in FL. They are only about $3.00 a pair, or you
can just get your wipers at Saturn in the parts dept. Either one is good. I
also use a wet chamois to clear any road grime off of my windshield before I
drive so that I am not grinding it ito my windshield. You are right, they do
scratch easily, btu simple preventive maintenence will help.

Cheers!
marx404

Old August 22nd 04, 10:48 PM
Philip Nasadowski

I haven't tried this, but a friend of mine polished his windshield quite
a bit until it was really really smooth. The end result? Rain beads up
and rolls off, or even bounces off. It's far better than any rain X
type product I've ever seen, and once polished, the effects last a long
long time. I saw a first hand demo of this the otherday in HEAVY rain
in upstate NY, and it was impressive.

The theory is blindingly simple - water doesn't stick to glass really,
but because of the various microcraters on a windshield, it does anyway.
By polishing these away, they're gone, and water won't stick to the
glass...