Vibrations on a 99 A6 Avant

Old March 12th 06, 01:44 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Vibrations on a 99 A6 Avant

I have a 99 A6 Avant that has developed a shaking in the steering wheel
and the car at high speeds. It starts around 50-60 and reaches its peak
around 70-75 (I can go faster than that and it just pretty much stays
at the same intensity level). I have taken it to my mechanic (who
frequently works on Audis and is also a family member so is
trustworthy) repeatedly and have had a regular balancing, high speed
balancing, and a four wheel alignment performed. The problem has become
slightly less intense, but not significantly. There are 4 new tires on
the car with less than 10000 miles on them.

I don't know if it's related, but the car also has a mysterious
pulsating when the wheel is turned sharply.

Any suggestions for either problem (the high speed vibrating or the
pulsating while turning) would be greatly appreciated. I read something
about a Hunter road force test in another post, but am not sure if it
applies to this situation or not. Thanks!

Old March 12th 06, 08:23 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

On 12 Mar 2006 05:44:39 -0800, "jman" > wrote:

> I have a 99 A6 Avant that has developed a shaking in the steering wheel
> and the car at high speeds. It starts around 50-60 and reaches its peak
> around 70-75 (I can go faster than that and it just pretty much stays
> at the same intensity level). I have taken it to my mechanic (who
> frequently works on Audis and is also a family member so is
> trustworthy) repeatedly and have had a regular balancing, high speed
> balancing, and a four wheel alignment performed. The problem has become
> slightly less intense, but not significantly. There are 4 new tires on
> the car with less than 10000 miles on them.
>
> I don't know if it's related, but the car also has a mysterious
> pulsating when the wheel is turned sharply.
>
> Any suggestions for either problem (the high speed vibrating or the
> pulsating while turning) would be greatly appreciated. I read something
> about a Hunter road force test in another post, but am not sure if it
> applies to this situation or not. Thanks!

Check your tires carefully for a broken belt or the beginnings of some
delamination -- you may have a bad tire. This can cause a shaking of the
steering wheel much like an unbalanced tire, but you should also notice a
slight tendency for the steering wheel to oscillate slightly at low speeds
(with your hands off the wheel). A tire with excessive radial runout will
also cause your symptoms, but they should have caught that when you had the
tires rebalanced.

Looking for A4 Avant lease takeover (Montreal, Canada) Mastermis Audi 0 February 28th 06 03:39 AM
low vibrations and clicking lovs2fly Ford Explorer 0 June 5th 05 03:36 AM
A4 Avant rear window sudden break Magog Audi 6 May 4th 05 02:50 PM
Allroad or A6 Avant Quatro? TK Audi 5 November 19th 04 06:39 PM
Vibrations when idle Lars BMW 2 November 4th 04 12:18 PM