Crankshaft pulley bolt on Hondas

Old January 4th 05, 11:55 PM
No name yet

Default Crankshaft pulley bolt on Hondas

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy or borrow one of the 50mm hex socket
wrenches needed to remove the crankshaft pulley on my CRV?

I want to replace the timing belt. These tools appear to be like hens-teeth
to find.

Thanks...

Old January 5th 05, 12:20 AM
Daniel

tried the dealer?

Old January 5th 05, 01:12 AM
John Ings

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:55:39 GMT, "No name yet" >
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Does anyone know where I can buy or borrow one of the 50mm hex socket
>wrenches needed to remove the crankshaft pulley on my CRV?
>
>I want to replace the timing belt. These tools appear to be like hens-teeth
>to find.

50 mm is 1.9685 inches so a 2 inch socket would have about 31 thou of
slop. A 1 &15/16 inch might fit well.

Old January 5th 05, 02:34 AM
motsco_ _

No name yet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know where I can buy or borrow one of the 50mm hex socket
> wrenches needed to remove the crankshaft pulley on my CRV?
>
> I want to replace the timing belt. These tools appear to be like hens-teeth
> to find.
>
> Thanks...

-----------------
NoName,

You can whip one up yourself with a plumbing nipple and a piece of steel
bar. I'll send you a picture. Plumbing part is described as a 2" pipe
fitting, like you use to fit a well water hose onto a large tap. Grind
all 6 faces so it will fit, then weld onto steel bar. Got the idea from
Chilton's manual #30300 page 3-22 (honda dealer)

'Curly'

Old January 5th 05, 04:43 AM
jim beam

John Ings wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:55:39 GMT, "No name yet" >
> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Does anyone know where I can buy or borrow one of the 50mm hex socket
>>wrenches needed to remove the crankshaft pulley on my CRV?
>>
>>I want to replace the timing belt. These tools appear to be like hens-teeth
>>to find.

> 50 mm is 1.9685 inches so a 2 inch socket would have about 31 thou of
> slop. A 1 &15/16 inch might fit well.

needs to fit internally, not externally, so a normal socket won't do it.

Old January 5th 05, 04:43 AM
jim beam

No name yet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know where I can buy or borrow one of the 50mm hex socket
> wrenches needed to remove the crankshaft pulley on my CRV?
>
> I want to replace the timing belt. These tools appear to be like hens-teeth
> to find.
>
> Thanks...

my local dealer has them available for rent.

Old January 5th 05, 02:04 PM
John Ings

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:43:14 -0800, jim beam >
wrote:

>>>Does anyone know where I can buy or borrow one of the 50mm hex socket
>>>wrenches needed to remove the crankshaft pulley on my CRV?
>>>
>>>I want to replace the timing belt. These tools appear to be like hens-teeth
>>>to find.

>> 50 mm is 1.9685 inches so a 2 inch socket would have about 31 thou of
>> slop. A 1 &15/16 inch might fit well.
>>

>needs to fit internally, not externally, so a normal socket won't do it.

Ah! He means the tool to hold the pulley! I wouldn't call that a
socket. Here's a description from the newsgroup FAQ of a homemade one:

"A list denizen who signs himself "jamieson" offered this suggestion-
"I did manage to find a nice way to prevent the pulley from turning.
The local hardware store sells a 1 1/2" threaded plumbing adapter with
a hex flange on one side of it. With a little bit of filing, the hex
flange fits into the 50mm hex depression in the crankshaft pulley.
Then I took a pipe wrench and cranked it down on the plumbing adapter
threads sticking out of the crankshaft pulley. It works just like the
Honda crankshaft pulley holder tool, only costs a lot less."

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#crankbolt

Old January 6th 05, 05:58 AM
jjjsan

I saw a homemade tool on ebay for around $15, looks like it will do the
trick.
search honda crankshaft.