6 or 4 cylinders for the wrangler ?

Old June 5th 05, 01:27 PM
macanic

get the six the 4 is a dog, a lug, slow

Old June 5th 05, 06:20 PM
attnews

absolutely get the 6; you'll never be sorry....

Old June 5th 05, 07:40 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Except, the six is an unbelievable ten grand more, over the bait
car my brother-in-law bought, in '95:
http://www.billhughes.com/tascher/index.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 5th 05, 10:57 PM
Capt. Purple

Interesting, because when I went to buy another Jeep I specifically looked for the 4 cyl. When I was
in Florida during 1992-6 I was spending $350 - 600 a month on gas and I was getting annoyed and
broke doing that. Going back and forth all over the state with the A/C on was the reason, of course.
Now I have the 4 (no A/C) and it's just fine for my purposes.
Capt. Purple

Old June 5th 05, 11:00 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You must still live where there are no mountains.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 6th 05, 03:02 AM
L.A. Jeepster

Amen that. I've had both 4.0L and 2.5L YJs and the 120 hp I squeezed out of
the 4-banger just didn't cut it, and the savings at the gas pump were
negligible. Off road the lack of power didn't matter, but forget towing
anything and expect to be flipped the bird a lot on a SoCal freeway. Of
course, the new 2.4L boasts 147 hp that could probably be tweaked to put out
even more, but I don't know anything about that.

Old June 6th 05, 04:38 AM

Since the OP is in Europe don't they put the VM in them there?

If I were doing a rebuild here Stateside, I would look at putting
some kind of diesel in, especially on a older Jeep where the
emissionazis have no say. If you put a 4BB1 or a OM 616 in a
flatfender, what could they say?

Old June 6th 05, 08:21 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

Good idea patrick, you won't be sorry. As with any 4x4, you'll eventually
want to put a little bigger tires on, and the extra horses always help.
You can always regear, but $$$$$. RESALE is one major factor. Here in the
USA, NorthWest, the 4 bangers just don't sell, or hold their value as well
as the 6's. Gas milage isn't much different as you've read from everyone's
comments. Also, with the extra horses, there's less stress on the motor,
and it should last a little longer everything being equal (Personal
opinion, no facts to back that one up). But I'm sure you'll be like
everyone else, and want bigger tires, etc....
Nothing looks so cool as your new Jeep sporting a new set of 33"
Mudders.......Go with BFG's. Also, I recomend the hard top as well, as
long as you have a place to store it. It'll probably come off right away,
and you'll go convertible....all you can
I'm a 2 year Jeep owner now........and I'm Lovin it....
sorta like a boat. Bought a trashed 89 YJ, and that was one of the
happiest days in my life. Paid $2000 for it. It wouldn't move, the poor
guy was flat broke and drove it till it wouldn't move anymore. I figured I
couldn't go wrong for 2 grand. Well, I've put in a do it yourself spray
in bedliner, 4 1/2" Rubicon Express lift kit, new carburetor and changed
the dash color from grey to black. Also replaced the Metal piece behind
the dash because the lip goes under the windshield and was rusted. Fixed
all the wiring on the crappy gauges......on and on and on........Your gonna
LOVE YOUR JEEP!!!! Seriously you will. Kinda Like Surfing and buying a
motorcycle. But there are lots of things you need to know being a Jeep
owner, so I'd stay tuned to this website. I don't know much, but there's
lots of people here who are Jeep knowledge GODS and will give you lots of
advice. I'd recomend getting a Undercoating, and pay lots of attention to
the gasket under the windshield if you want your Jeep to last..... You'll
LOVE the 6 cylinder....and all the aftermarket goodies you'll want to add!!!
!!!!!!
ENJOY!!!
Robb

Old June 6th 05, 08:51 AM
Dave Milne

No, they put the VM 2.5 / 2.8 in the XJ, KJ, ZJ,WJ but not the TJ

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
oups.com...