Change to D2, 1992 Saturn, in Austria.

Old May 31st 05, 02:22 PM
TER

Default Change to D2, 1992 Saturn, in Austria.

I'm in Europe,Austria, with a 92 Saturn SL1. The began to lose power.
Indicator light said Shift to D2. That helped a bit but the car
continued to lose power. Battery went dead. I had it towed to a
garage and they said they have no way to diagnose it, can't fix it.
Help. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old June 1st 05, 12:21 AM
Philip Nasadowski

In article .com>,
"TER" > wrote:

> That helped a bit but the car continued to lose power.
> Battery went dead.

I bet the alternator's bad. It's common on Saturns and it's preceeded
by the transmission acting funny.

Often, automatic transmission problems are a sign the
alternator/charging system is going bad.

Replace the alternator AND the battery. Put a new belt on too if the
old one's old. It's an easy job through the wheelwell on the engine
side of the car. You need jackstands to lift the front up off the
ground a foot or two, too.
Old June 1st 05, 07:38 PM

> Indicator light said Shift to D2.
> That helped a bit but the car
> continued to lose power.
> Battery went dead.

Alternator has gone bad. It's a "standard" GM/Delco alternator
available at any auto parts store here in the US but don't know where
to get one in Austria.

> garage and they said they have no way to diagnose it

That's pretty sad. "Shift to D2" is a red herring that might confuse
them, though.

Tim.