Any way to stop surface rusting?

Old February 12th 05, 04:44 PM
Mike C.

Default Any way to stop surface rusting?

Hey guys,

I got my car back from the mechanic recently and I know know what happened
while it was there for over a month but something tells me they were putting
stuff on top of the car as there are all these super tiny sratches on the
original paint that are now starting to show signs of rust. I swear it
looks like they took some sort of steel wool and just scraped the car.
Anyway, i can't afford a totally new body of the pan paint job just yet. Is
there any way to stave off the rust for now without getting the whole car
painted to same shade of sky blue??

thanks for any advice...

Mike

Old February 13th 05, 12:13 AM
AXL

well, I am not an expert Mike,, but I have found that using a scotchbrite
pad, and scuffing the rust off, then wiping with thinner, and taking a small
bit of original paint, or touch-up paint, and/or primer, thinning it out,
and dropping it on the mark, then wiping, let tack, then doing it a few
times, keeps it away for a while,, but as you may have heard,, rust never
sleeps,, get it fixed the right way a.s.a.p!!!!!!
ink.net...

Old February 13th 05, 02:11 AM
jjs

"Mike C." > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Hey guys,
>
> I got my car back from the mechanic recently and I know know what happened
> while it was there for over a month but something tells me they were
> putting stuff on top of the car as there are all these super tiny sratches
> on the original paint that are now starting to show signs of rust.

That's inexcusable, if true. A good shop would never do that. In fact, my
favorite shop sprays the whole car with a 'body condom' (laugh, it's pretty
funny) - a spray of latex or something that covers all the car except the
part they are working on.

Anyway, try rubbing it out with a Meguiars product. See their literature.
They are the best in the world. Then hit it with some match paint.