different terms for a soft-top car

Old August 15th 04, 07:53 PM
Andy Fish

Default different terms for a soft-top car

Hi,

There seem to be a lot of terms used to describe soft-top cars (e.g.
convertible, cabriolet, roadster, spider) but I can't find anything
that explains the difference between these terms.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Andy
Old August 15th 04, 08:51 PM
Steve Knight

> There seem to be a lot of terms used to describe soft-top cars (e.g.
> convertible, cabriolet, roadster, spider) but I can't find anything
> that explains the difference between these terms.

There is no difference.

--
Remove Xs to reply direct

Old August 15th 04, 10:16 PM
SteveH

Steve Knight > wrote:

> > There seem to be a lot of terms used to describe soft-top cars (e.g.
> > convertible, cabriolet, roadster, spider) but I can't find anything
> > that explains the difference between these terms.

> There is no difference.

Well, I beg to differ.

Convertible / Cabriolet tend to be used to refer to rag top versions of
tin top cars - think Escort / Golf / Punto rag tops etc.

Roadster is normally used to describe a 'proper' ragtop sportscar, such
as an MGB / Spriget / Spitfire / MX5 etc.

Spider is the term used to describe an Italian roadster.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old August 15th 04, 11:34 PM
Tim S Kemp

Andy Fish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There seem to be a lot of terms used to describe soft-top cars (e.g.
> convertible, cabriolet, roadster, spider) but I can't find anything
> that explains the difference between these terms.

Convertible - anything that can be roof up or roof down
Cabriolet - cloth top
Roadster - 2 seat convertible
Spider - unsure, tends to apply to italian roadsters.

---
surely you understand the fundamental questionability of Pre-Crime
methodology

Old August 16th 04, 05:42 AM
Ben Blaney

SteveH wrote:

>Convertible / Cabriolet tend to be used to refer to rag top versions of
>tin top cars - think Escort / Golf / Punto rag tops etc.

I thought that there was some arcane difference, so I had a little
google.

http://www.answerbag.com/c_view.php/342

A cabriolet is described as a convertible coupe. A convertible
describes a vehicle with a convertible top. The difference is the word
coupe (2 doors). A convertible top vehicle can have 2 or 4 doors.

But there's also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convertible
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabriolet

Hmm. Less than conclusive.

--
Ben Blaney
Old August 16th 04, 08:20 PM
Sla#s

"Andy Fish" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> There seem to be a lot of terms used to describe soft-top cars (e.g.
> convertible, cabriolet, roadster, spider) but I can't find anything
> that explains the difference between these terms.
>
> Can anyone enlighten me?
>
> Andy

Strictly speaking a "roadster" should not have wind up windows but a
cabriolet does.
So a Lotus 7 is a roadster and a MX5 is a cabriolet.
A phaeton is a four seat roadster and a convertible is a four seat
cabriolet.
That was from an old thirties Coachworks book we use to have at work years
ago.
There is also the Torpedo which has two separate roadster style compartments
both with screens and the Speedster which is a roadster with a streamlined
tail.

Slatts

Old August 17th 04, 08:52 AM
Andy Fish

Ben Blaney > wrote in message >. ..

> Hmm. Less than conclusive.

I just found this one to add to the mix...

www.100megsfree4.com/dictionary/car-dicc.htm

which even seems to contradict itself.

I think my conclusion would be that there is probably no bullet proof
distinction between cabriolet and convertible but that cabriolet is a
european term. spider is italian and roadster/speedster/would be 2
seats. drophead coupe would be 2 doors but could have 4 seats.

oh well, at least I know that there isn't a simple answer.

What started me off on the whole thing was when I was at a vintage car
show and one of the exhibitors said that such and such a maker were
famous for convertible cars but never made a cabriolet. I didn't want
to appear dumb by asking the difference so I just stuck it in the back
of my mind...

thanks for your help

Andy