Radiator Drain on 99 Concorde?

Old August 23rd 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DLH1[_1_]

Default Radiator Drain on 99 Concorde?

Where is the drain plug/petcock for the radiator on a 99 Concorde?
There is an unanswered question regarding this on the FAQ page. If any
one knows, please respond here. Thanks

--
DLH1
DLH1's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=396815

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old August 24th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"DLH1" > wrote in message
news

> Where is the drain plug/petcock for the radiator on a 99 Concorde?
> There is an unanswered question regarding this on the FAQ page. If any
> one knows, please respond here. Thanks
>

> --
> DLH1
> DLH1's Profile:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=396815
> View this thread:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=610044

> http://www.automotiveforums.com

I believe on that model it is located on the inside radiator at the
passenger side corner.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old August 24th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

maxpower wrote:
> "DLH1" > wrote in message
> news >
>>Where is the drain plug/petcock for the radiator on a 99 Concorde?
>>There is an unanswered question regarding this on the FAQ page. If any
>>one knows, please respond here. Thanks
>>

>>--
>>DLH1
>>DLH1's Profile:

> http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=396815
>
>>View this thread:

> http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=610044
>
>>http://www.automotiveforums.com
>>

> I believe on that model it is located on the inside radiator at the
> passenger side corner.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Yep - and they are a PITA. Many start leaking or people can't get them
to drain and over-turn them and end up having to replace them. They
also are in a very difficult spot to reach (as on most cars these days).

My understanding is they turn CCW a little over 90° and pull out just a
little to start draining. I couldn't get mine to start draining, and
learned later on the 300M Club forums that they have to come out a
little after being turned. Also the o-rings go bad on them. I ended up
just flushing thru the radiator hoses. Will probably do the same thing
again next time to avoid damaging it or the o-ring start leaking. Very
poor design.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old August 24th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DLH1

thanks, Guys. I will look for it in that location the next opportunity
I have.

That turn and pull type petcock is vintage chrysler. I would have
thought they would have gone to something better and more reliable by
now, but I guess not. Thanks.

Old August 24th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

I do what Bill does and carefully pull the lower radiator hose to flush on
all my Chryslers.

Bob

. ..

Old August 24th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

maxpower wrote:

> What normally happens when you try to turn the pet cock is the seal (o-ring)
> rips inside and you don't realize that it has until you go thru the trouble
> of trying to bleed the air out. Looking down you see coolant dripping out.
> Now you have to drain it again and replace the valve (o-ring).
> What I do is soak the valve with a good penetrating oil and as you turn
> (counterclockwise) pull out on it until it starts to flow. The other thing
> to do is purchase a new valve and replace it at the same time. The part
> number is 4758290, probably about 10 bucks
>
> Glenn

You pretty much have to pull the radiator out to have enough room to
replace the drain valve, don't you Glenn? I've not done it - but that
appears to be the consensus on the 300M Club forums. Perhaps if you're
into the timing belt. etc., that would be a convenient time (along with
the accessory belt tensioners, etc.).

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old August 25th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> maxpower wrote:
>
> > What normally happens when you try to turn the pet cock is the seal

(o-ring)
> > rips inside and you don't realize that it has until you go thru the

trouble
> > of trying to bleed the air out. Looking down you see coolant dripping

out.
> > Now you have to drain it again and replace the valve (o-ring).
> > What I do is soak the valve with a good penetrating oil and as you turn
> > (counterclockwise) pull out on it until it starts to flow. The other

thing
> > to do is purchase a new valve and replace it at the same time. The part
> > number is 4758290, probably about 10 bucks
> >
> > Glenn

> You pretty much have to pull the radiator out to have enough room to
> replace the drain valve, don't you Glenn? I've not done it - but that
> appears to be the consensus on the 300M Club forums. Perhaps if you're
> into the timing belt. etc., that would be a convenient time (along with
> the accessory belt tensioners, etc.).
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

There are so many different locations for the pet cocks on all of the
models. Off hand I cant remember which ones have to have the radiator loose
until I look at em.

Glenn

Old August 25th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy

i have this cool tool from airlift company and i hooks it up to a air source and
then the raditor cap and it pulls all the coolant out and when the systen is under
vacumm pulls the new fluid in

Old August 25th 06, 11:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

philthy wrote:

> i have this cool tool from airlift company and i hooks it up to a air source and
> then the raditor cap and it pulls all the coolant out and when the systen is under
> vacumm pulls the new fluid in

Not as thorough a flush as manually flushing, but when you have to make
a profit, that would be better for the shop with labor costs, so-called
"environmental" concerns, etc.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

1994 Chrysler Concorde downshift problem.(air vacuum sensor? STREETL1FE Chrysler 1 August 21st 05 10:49 PM
98 Concorde LXI Turnsignals and Parking lights tim bur Chrysler 2 August 5th 05 10:34 PM
2001 300m passenger door handle(inside) Fiberman Chrysler 19 March 27th 05 08:33 PM
97 Concorde steering issues Chrysler 9 March 20th 05 10:37 PM
2000 Concorde LXi Tranmission John Gregory Chrysler 63 March 12th 05 03:10 PM