why why WHY?

Old April 16th 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default why why WHY?

I was taken aback when I read what was written on page 53 of the
California Drivers Handbook 2006. The book as an arial photograph of
the golden gate bridge in San Francisco.

"It is against the law to follow within 300 feet of any emergency
vehicle which is answering an emergency call."

I passed through Atlanta Georgia once ealier this year and on their
freeway I actually saw emergency vehicles. It was crazy to see an
abulance going down the freeway but it was Georgia. Cars behind the
ambulance were following close behind taking advantage of the
ambulances right of way.

I got the Idea from the Georgians. Ever since wittnessing that I have
been tailing all the firetrucks that I could back in CA. It's fun.
All the cars have to move out of the way and I can go fast. I will not
follow an emergency vehicle through a red light or on the wrong side of
the road however. So I only follow the emergency vehicles up to a
certain extent and at the time I didn't think I was breaking any laws.

It's just nice to take advantage of the sirens moving all the other
cars out of the way. I can't understand why CA would make this an
illegal driving practic.

CA should appeal that stupid law. What I saw in Georgia made a lot of
sense.

O2-