rFactor.....LFS Killer?

Old November 11th 04, 07:28 PM
Dave Henrie

Default rFactor.....LFS Killer?

"Kyle Roberts" > wrote in

>> http://www.mypage.tsn.cc/wiw_stats/rfactor.jpg
>>

> Looks like they may have only included low res textures in the demo.
> They have released screenshots with higher resolution textures.
>
> Kyle

I tried it for a short while last night...I saw 1 car that looked like a
Baja Dune buggy. Very boxy with exposed wheels and yellow covered cockpit.
Most of the other cars seemed ok, My ping to the server was listed as 0-10
so I'm guessing I was pretty close to the guy, but the other cars generally
showed pings to me in the 1400 range. (don't know if that is good or bad)

dave henrie
Old November 11th 04, 08:25 PM
buster

well SP2 managed to completely **** up my computer, so i cant right
now... SP2 locked up on install on 2 attempts. first time i just left
the computer for about half an hour and when i came back windows had
rebooted... but then windows update said i still hadnt installed SP2 so
i tried again... this time when it locked up i just rebooted the
computer then windows bitched to me that SP2 was halfway installed so
please uninstall it... so i uninstall it and all these warnings come up
listing every program on my comptuer and how they wont work anymore...
so SP2 decided to take all kinds of drivers down with it... sigh
Old November 11th 04, 08:30 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:28:19 -0600, Dave Henrie wrote:

> I tried it for a short while last night...I saw 1 car that looked like a
> Baja Dune buggy. Very boxy with exposed wheels and yellow covered cockpit.
> Most of the other cars seemed ok, My ping to the server was listed as 0-10
> so I'm guessing I was pretty close to the guy, but the other cars generally
> showed pings to me in the 1400 range. (don't know if that is good or bad)

I saw this one, too, only a couple of hours ago on some MP test
server. Maybe one of the ISI guys is pulling our strings / rattling
our cage or whatever ;-)

uwe

--
mail replies to Uwe at schuerkamp dot de ( yahoo address is spambox)
Uwe Schuerkamp //////////////////////////// http://www.schuerkamp.de/
Old November 11th 04, 09:30 PM
buster

Uwe Schürkamp wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:28:19 -0600, Dave Henrie wrote:
>
>> I tried it for a short while last night...I saw 1 car that looked like a
>>Baja Dune buggy. Very boxy with exposed wheels and yellow covered cockpit.
>>Most of the other cars seemed ok, My ping to the server was listed as 0-10
>>so I'm guessing I was pretty close to the guy, but the other cars generally
>>showed pings to me in the 1400 range. (don't know if that is good or bad)
>>

> I saw this one, too, only a couple of hours ago on some MP test
> server. Maybe one of the ISI guys is pulling our strings / rattling
> our cage or whatever ;-)
>
> uwe

The yellow car thing is what prevents the freeze when someone joins the
server. It has that yellow car pre-loaded then when you go to pits it
will load up all the cars of the people that have since joined
Old November 11th 04, 11:46 PM
Spede

the baja buggy's are temporarily loaded then replaced with the drivers
actual car, it is to avoid lockups while a new player joins the race.
...and ISI had AI in SCGT multiplayer in 1999.

Old November 11th 04, 11:54 PM
Andrew MacPherson

In article >,
(Kinesin) wrote:

> here you go.

http://conspiracy.hopto.org:6969/ind...arch=nightmare

Thanks, I did find the streamed versions but the downloaded vids
are easier to watch.

Andrew McP
Old November 12th 04, 02:38 AM
Dave Henrie

"Spede" > wrote in news:1100213214.561042.5790
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> the baja buggy's are temporarily loaded then replaced with the drivers
> actual car, it is to avoid lockups while a new player joins the race.
> ..and ISI had AI in SCGT multiplayer in 1999.

yes, but 4 cars were enough to collapse the online flow...
dh
Old November 12th 04, 03:20 PM
Andrew MacPherson

In article >,
(Remco Moedt) wrote:

> I guess that's the AMD 2200+ CPU?

No, it's a mobile Athlon 2500+ (they're still unlocked I believe) which
overclocks nicely to 2.4-5Ghz for some people. I can squeeze 2300 out of
mine, but to be honest there's no noticeable benefit. 2.2GHz seems like
more than enough to cope with anything I've run on the PC recently (apart
from Lomac, which always eats whatever CPU and vid power you throw at it).

> with a GeForce 3ti200 rFactor, with all settings low, 1024x786x32
> is a slideshow...

That a shame. I guess there must be some major DX9 hardware support used
in rFactor. The GF3's still a good card for many older sims, but maybe the
time's come to start thinking about something a little newer.

Since I had a GF3 in my games box (gave it away to a friend in need) I've
had a 2nd hand ti4200, a second hand 9700Pro, and now a new x800pro (it
was either that or start having driving lessons. So the British roads will
be safe for another year or three ;-)

The ti4200 wasn't a huge improvement over the GF3 in raw frame rate terms,
but it did allow me to run at higher resolutions with more fsaa. The
9700Pro was a very nice upgrade, giving me more of everything and that
increasingly important DX9 hardware support. I'd probably still be using
it if I hadn't been seduced by Doom3's amazing (IMO) use of hardware
lighting.

FWIW I just installed the demo on this email/work box which has an older
KT7a motherboard with 768Mb of pc133 and an Athlon1700+ running at
1680MHz. The vid card is a 9800se (which I bought for the AIW features and
the hope it'd flash to a 9800Pro... it didn't :-) and it handles rFactor
"ok". At 1024x768, auto visual settings, I can tell the frame rate's not
consistent, but it's certainly very drivable. At 800x600, auto, it's
smooth but ugly.

The 9800se is roughly equivalent to a 9600/9600Pro (not a particularly
good buy). I still think the 9800Pro represents excellent value for money.
The trick is raising the money :-)

> how the heck can you take off from a carrier in PF with a
> spitfire without a SPLOOSH sound?

If you look out of the front of the cockpit you'll see some things
sticking out the front of the plane. They're called "propeller blades". If
you can count them, that means the engine is what we pilots called "not
turned on". I advise consulting a trained technician who may be able to
show you how to make these blades spin fast enough to dry what hair you
have left and perhaps also assist in the takeoff process.

;-)

I have no problems taking off in PF. Plenty of throttle, lots of flaps,
just enough back pressure on the stick to take off without risking an
early bath, and it just happens. Landing is a different matter... still
waiting for my first successful trap. I can touch down without problem but
I appear to have aircraft equipped with rubber hooks!

Still, it's far more fun to crash land with the undercarriage up, coming
to a stop balanced on the front of the carrier. To be honest though I get
a far bigger kick out of just sitting on the moving deck with the graphics
in "Perfect" mode. The reflections of the nearby ships and the sense of
motion of the carrier are quite special. But there again, the vid card
helps the experience.

Andrew McP... in essay-writing mode, obviously.