Recharging A/C on 1999 Dodge Caravan

Old July 21st 05, 01:49 AM
epeart

Default Recharging A/C on 1999 Dodge Caravan

I tried Recharging the A/C on my girlfriends 1999 Dodge Caravan Sport today I got the kit " charger hose and 3 cans of 134a. my end result It blows nothing but hot air. It was cooler before I tried to recharge it. It would only take half a can and it's the small can so decided to bleed out what was left inthe line by pressing in the valve it still would only take half and it is the right connection it can only fit one way am I doing something wrong? please help before my girlfriend kills me

--
epeart

View this thread: http://www.carstalk.net/viewtopic-332601.html

Send from http://www.carstalk.net

Old July 21st 05, 05:39 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, epeart wrote:

> I tried Recharging the A/C on my girlfriends 1999 Dodge Caravan Sport
> today I got the kit " charger hose and 3 cans of 134a. my end result It
> blows nothing but hot air. It was cooler before I tried to recharge it.
> It would only take half a can and it's the small can so decided to bleed
> out what was left inthe line by pressing in the valve it still would
> take half and it is the right connection it can only fit one way am I
> only doing something wrong?

Yes, you're doing something wrong: ****in' around with your girlfriend's
vehicle without knowing what you're doing.

> please help before my girlfriend kills me

Count yourself fortunate you didn't kill yourself; A/C work is dangerous
when you don't know what you're doing or how to do it.
Old July 21st 05, 06:27 PM
Steve B.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:49:38 +0200, epeart

#1 Venting the refrigerant from your system is a federal crime (a
violation of the clear air act) . Even if you don't care about the
environment it probably isn't the best idea to admit to a federal
crime on a world wide public newsgroup.

While you are trying to charge is the compressor turning? The
refrigerant carries the oil through the system. If the refrigerant
gets low the oil isn't distributed and the compressor dies. To
prevent this from happening the manufacturer puts a low pressure drop
out switch on the system that turns off the compressor under low
pressure situations.

Check to make sure the compressor is energized ( the front disk
spinning as well as the pulley). If it isn't energized locate the low
pressure switch and jump it out so the compressor will spin then
charge the system. If it still won't take more than half a can you
need to check the high and low side pressures and get back to us.

In all honesty you are probably in over your head on this one. After
venting the system the dryer really should be replaced and the system
vacuumed. Your also dealing with a $400 compressor that you can
easily ruin by adding an improper amount of refrigerant or oil.

Good luck. I hope that couch is comfortable ;-)
Steve B.

Old July 21st 05, 10:46 PM
Coasty

Well with out a proper set of gauges not the one gage check method, filling
as per manufacturer instructions, checking pressure chart based on ambient
temperature, checking the super heat temp, a proper leak test, properly
evacuated the system because all the refrigerant was gone or had air
entrainment, more than likely not having been trained in automotive HVAC or
licensed as per the EPA you have screwed the pooch and you are lucky you
have not blown your compressor up and injured yourself. Any one of the
above is your problem besides knowing when to quit and get things done by a
professional.

--
Coasty
SEMPER PARATUS

Remove The SPOOGE To Reply

Old July 22nd 05, 03:30 AM
pawn

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, epeart wrote:
>

>>I tried Recharging the A/C on my girlfriends 1999 Dodge Caravan Sport
>>today I got the kit " charger hose and 3 cans of 134a. my end result It
>>blows nothing but hot air. It was cooler before I tried to recharge it.
>>It would only take half a can and it's the small can so decided to bleed
>>out what was left inthe line by pressing in the valve it still would
>>take half and it is the right connection it can only fit one way am I
>>only doing something wrong?

> Yes, you're doing something wrong: ****in' around with your girlfriend's
> vehicle without knowing what you're doing.
>

>>please help before my girlfriend kills me

> Count yourself fortunate you didn't kill yourself; A/C work is dangerous
> when you don't know what you're doing or how to do it.

I realize every group has a guy like you, but the question still begs to
be asked: why do you feel the need to be such a dickhead? The second
responder made the same point without the childishness, why do you need
to demonstrate you're a complete social buffoon with every response that
you happen to know something about? Grow the **** up.

Old July 22nd 05, 07:18 AM
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

pawn wrote:

> > Count yourself fortunate you didn't kill yourself; A/C work is dangerous
> > when you don't know what you're doing or how to do it.

> I realize every group has a guy like you, but the question still begs to
> be asked: why do you feel the need to be such a dickhead? The second
> responder made the same point without the childishness, why do you need
> to demonstrate you're a complete social buffoon with every response that
> you happen to know something about? Grow the **** up.

Hey now, don't be so hasty. Don't you know that there's an epidemic of
air conditioning related deaths sweeping the nation? Think of all of
the grief stricken mothers of those unfortunate tattooed, unshaven,
snaggle-toothed shade tree mechanics, and how your callous words stab
these poor ladies like flying pieces of R134A shrapnel. Have some
respect. At least Mr. Stern is doing his part to help the hopelessly
stupid portion of our society to avoid killing themselves at least for
one more day. You should just be glad that somebody is willing to do
all of that thinking that the rest of us are unwilling or unable to do
for ourselves.

Not only that, but you should observe some newsgroup etiquette
yourself. You asked an unrelated question in the thread. It should
have been put under its own subject line, such as "Why is Stern such a
dickhead?", or perhaps a teaser such as "The shocking truth about Daniel
J. Stern!"

I hope you won't be quite so quick to dive in next time without
carefully considering what you are saying.
Old July 22nd 05, 09:58 PM
maxpower

"pawn" > wrote in message
news
> Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, epeart wrote:
> >

> >>I tried Recharging the A/C on my girlfriends 1999 Dodge Caravan Sport
> >>today I got the kit " charger hose and 3 cans of 134a. my end result It
> >>blows nothing but hot air. It was cooler before I tried to recharge it.
> >>It would only take half a can and it's the small can so decided to bleed
> >>out what was left inthe line by pressing in the valve it still would
> >>take half and it is the right connection it can only fit one way am I
> >>only doing something wrong?

> > Yes, you're doing something wrong: ****in' around with your girlfriend's
> > vehicle without knowing what you're doing.
> >

> >>please help before my girlfriend kills me

> > Count yourself fortunate you didn't kill yourself; A/C work is dangerous
> > when you don't know what you're doing or how to do it.

> I realize every group has a guy like you, but the question still begs to
> be asked: why do you feel the need to be such a dickhead? The second
> responder made the same point without the childishness, why do you need
> to demonstrate you're a complete social buffoon with every response that
> you happen to know something about? Grow the **** up.

Hey , don't let him bother you, its the way he was raised, Its just a big
Ego trip for ole lite bulb Stern.
Just because your system is blowing warm air does not mean it is low on
freon, you could have fault codes, you could have blend air door problems or
anything. If you system is fully charged and you add more to it, that will
cause more problems.
I would have the system recovered and charged up with the proper amount,
check and recalibrate the system and see what the evap temp is after that.
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler tech

Old July 22nd 05, 09:59 PM
maxpower

"Robbie and Laura Reynolds" > wrote in message

> pawn wrote:
>
> > > Count yourself fortunate you didn't kill yourself; A/C work is

dangerous
> > > when you don't know what you're doing or how to do it.

> > I realize every group has a guy like you, but the question still begs to
> > be asked: why do you feel the need to be such a dickhead? The second
> > responder made the same point without the childishness, why do you need
> > to demonstrate you're a complete social buffoon with every response that
> > you happen to know something about? Grow the **** up.

> Hey now, don't be so hasty. Don't you know that there's an epidemic of
> air conditioning related deaths sweeping the nation? Think of all of
> the grief stricken mothers of those unfortunate tattooed, unshaven,
> snaggle-toothed shade tree mechanics, and how your callous words stab
> these poor ladies like flying pieces of R134A shrapnel. Have some
> respect. At least Mr. Stern is doing his part to help the hopelessly
> stupid portion of our society to avoid killing themselves at least for
> one more day. You should just be glad that somebody is willing to do
> all of that thinking that the rest of us are unwilling or unable to do
> for ourselves.
>
> Not only that, but you should observe some newsgroup etiquette
> yourself. You asked an unrelated question in the thread. It should
> have been put under its own subject line, such as "Why is Stern such a
> dickhead?", or perhaps a teaser such as "The shocking truth about Daniel
> J. Stern!"
>
> I hope you won't be quite so quick to dive in next time without
> carefully considering what you are saying.

I needed a good laugh like that today. GOOD ONE!!

Old July 22nd 05, 10:33 PM
epeart

All I did was ask a simple question on installing the R134a, I've installed Superchargers, Turbos fuel injection units rearends entire brake systems mostly on euro cars and yes I don't know much about A/C refridgeration But I've recharged BMW"s Nnd Audi's all 2000 and newer. So don't be immature little asses when someone is asking for legitimate help. This is what this forum is supposed to be about. I did take it to my friends A/C shop and I was doing it correctly I just never vented out the gas like I thought I did.

Old July 23rd 05, 01:50 AM
tim bur

how about we help you before you kill yourself by blowing up one of those cans
u have a leak and i would bet money the evap.coil is bad unless you have followed a gravel hauler lately the system needs to be evacuated then a dye added and then recharged and again checked for leaks with the ultravoilet lite at least

epeart wrote:

> I tried Recharging the A/C on my girlfriends 1999 Dodge Caravan Sport today I got the kit " charger hose and 3 cans of 134a. my end result It blows nothing but hot air. It was cooler before I tried to recharge it. It would only take half a can and it's the small can so decided to bleed out what was left inthe line by pressing in the valve it still would only take half and it is the right connection it can only fit one way am I doing something wrong? please help before my girlfriend kills me
>
> --
> epeart

> View this thread: http://www.carstalk.net/viewtopic-332601.html
>
> Send from http://www.carstalk.net

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101 HeadlessHorseman Dodge 0 January 5th 05 03:49 PM
1999 Dodge Grand Caravan zoom16v Dodge 8 October 17th 04 12:55 PM
LF - Hubcap for 1999 Dodge Caravan gjong Dodge 0 June 4th 04 09:51 PM