Oil Leak Found afters yrs, (I hope), 74 bus

Old June 24th 05, 05:31 AM
driver

Default Oil Leak Found afters yrs, (I hope), 74 bus

I have posted here in the past trying to determine why my 74 1800 was
leaking so much oil. Did everything I could and still leaked.

I go put a new 2000 long block in last week and damn it, still leaking.
(Concentrated on the oil filter and cooler. THe pass side of engine stayed
dry)

So I go on a highway road trip and oil every where. On the way home,
pondering this leak over ice cream somewhere in the middle of beautiful PA
countryside, i figured, let me look from above the engine. I know everything
was torqued in that area. I look with a flashlight at the oil pressure
switch. Hmm, lots of oil there.
Start the engine, look and rev the engine. Well there is oil seeping out
from what looks like underneath the oil pressure switch. I know it was not
down all the way, plus the block under it is not smooth. I could not tighten
it so I had to get 4-5 hrs home. And I did.

Days later I remove the switch, clean the area and put it back in with some
gasket sealant and tighten better. Still leaking as I am watching it. Sooo,
what I figured is that oil is not cominf from under the switch but from the
top of it. This switch was new sometime ago when I did a rebiuld. But from
what I could tell, the black plastic part was ever so slightly loose.

I proceeded to put the original switch back in (this one has white plastic
and vw stamped all over it) and tightned it with no gasket sealer.

Well after riding around and getting all the residual oil blown out of the
oil cooler fins...upon my return home tonight, there was NO OIL on teh
bottom of the filter. WOW...I am so relieved. I think it is now dry. Or it
is a heck of a lot dryer than before...(I see no oil come out at rev when
looking at the oil pressure switch.)

Let this be a lesson. Bad or cheap aftermarket oil pressure switches may
blow and you'll never know where the oil is coming from.
Drove me crazy. For all I know, I could have damaged it yrs ago when I
pulled the engine once and turned it upside down without draining the oil.
(I forgot) I could have hit or some surge in oil pressure blew it out.. Who
knows.. All I know (or hope) is that I finnaly have a dry bus. (and pretty
quiet too).

(did the 1 - 1.125 turns on all the lifters, purrs like a kitten)

Steve
'74 Westie, 2L, Weber.
NJ

Old June 24th 05, 05:33 AM
driver

Sorry for the double post

Old June 24th 05, 02:13 PM
Joao Eliseu

"driver" > wrote:
>Sorry for the double post

No problem, the most important is that you found the leak...

Joao

cooling site tim VW air cooled 13 January 27th 05 05:33 AM
O/T virus found and can't delete V \fnugen\ Simulators 4 January 26th 05 02:49 PM
2002 Caravan PS Leak..Help Arthur Moore Chrysler 1 January 19th 05 12:04 PM
4.0 Head Gasket Oil Leak DougW Jeep 8 December 23rd 04 02:42 AM
Oil Leak 1997 SL2 Please note * New Horizon Interlock Saturn 2 July 5th 04 07:01 PM