got a few ????

Old May 29th 05, 05:30 PM
kyle2

Default got a few ????

ok my friend has a 1969 bug which has a 71 super beetle motor in it.
i was curious as to what type motor it is and what size.
also the car does not start when i spray starter fluid in to it it
runs sorta but wont when i stop spraying it. im new to aircooled
vw's
where can i find a good service manual for both bugs and ghia's cause
i have a 72 ghia or atleast i think its a 72 thanks

Old May 29th 05, 05:46 PM
Ben Boyle

A '71 should have a 1600 Dual Port, but that doesn't really mean anything. Could have been built bigger, or the engine
wasn't originally from the Super!

Old May 29th 05, 06:05 PM
Remco

kyle2 wrote:
> ok my friend has a 1969 bug which has a 71 super beetle motor in it.
> i was curious as to what type motor it is and what size.
> also the car does not start when i spray starter fluid in to it it
> runs sorta but wont when i stop spraying it. im new to aircooled
> vw's
> where can i find a good service manual for both bugs and ghia's cause
> i have a 72 ghia or atleast i think its a 72 thanks

I'd get a Bentley manual -- the one for bugs is very good. A similar
bentley manual might exist for ghias.

Maybe stating the obvious here, but are you sure you are getting fuel
and your pump is working properly and inlet isn't clogged?
Has it been sitting for a while? From what I've seen in other cars and
engines, sometimes you need to re-prime the pump by putting some clean
fuel in the carb bowl (spray it in through the inlet) to get it going.
It sometimes takes a while to start it.

Remco

Old May 29th 05, 08:58 PM
Joey Tribiani

"kyle2" > wrote in message
> ok my friend has a 1969 bug which has a 71 super beetle motor in it.
> i was curious as to what type motor it is and what size.
> also the car does not start when i spray starter fluid in to it it
> runs sorta but wont when i stop spraying it. im new to aircooled
> vw's
> where can i find a good service manual for both bugs and ghia's cause
> i have a 72 ghia or atleast i think its a 72 thanks

got to this webpage and click on "why won't my engine start"....bookmark the
site it is excellent...the owner of the site is a regular poster here and a
blessing to the aircooled community....if you see "speedy jim" or
"Veedubber" answer a post, read it....save it...know it...

Old May 30th 05, 03:45 AM
David

>Joey Tribiani wrote:

> got to this webpage and click on "why won't my engine
> start"....bookmark the site it is excellent...the owner of the site
> is a regular poster here and a blessing to the aircooled
> community....if you see "speedy jim" or "Veedubber" answer a post,
> read it....save it...know it...

Joey forgot a little something ( the link to the above mentioned ) http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/ it's Speedy Jim's site
David

Old May 30th 05, 09:10 AM
Joey Tribiani

"David" > wrote in message
> >Joey Tribiani wrote:

>> got to this webpage and click on "why won't my engine
>> start"....bookmark the site it is excellent...the owner of the site
>> is a regular poster here and a blessing to the aircooled
>> community....if you see "speedy jim" or "Veedubber" answer a post,
>> read it....save it...know it...

> Joey forgot a little something ( the link to the above mentioned )
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/ it's Speedy Jim's site
> David

thank you david....i'm blushing now...i did pull speedy's site up, however,
it seems, i was too busy trying to stress the importance of bookmarking,
that i didn't post it....i guess it is true, stupid is as stupid does?