Valve Covers Leaking

Old May 24th 05, 09:23 PM
Techsource_Todd

Default Valve Covers Leaking

I have a 94 Dodge Spirit with the 3.0 liter engine. The damn things leak
like a dingy. I have changed the gaskets but no change. I did some
research on the net and found that this particular engine has that problem.

I remember reading something somewhere (I'm still looking) about a kit that
will help apply more equal pressure around the edges of the valve cover.

I have asked my local Dodge dealer about it and the guys there said they had
never heard of anything like that. I am not sure if its just not a common
problem or they have selectively forgotten that tidbit of Dodge knowledge in
order to extract more of the publics money.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old May 25th 05, 12:30 AM
Sarge

"Techsource_Todd" wrote in message: "I have a 94 Dodge Spirit with the 3.0
liter engine. The damn things leak
like a dingy. I have changed the gaskets but no change. I did some
research on the net and found that this particular engine has that problem.
I remember reading something somewhere (I'm still looking) about a kit that
will help apply more equal pressure around the edges of the valve cover.
I have asked my local Dodge dealer about it and the guys there said they had
never heard of anything like that. I am not sure if its just not a common
problem or they have selectively forgotten that tidbit of Dodge knowledge in
order to extract more of the publics money."

I not sure about a kit but make sure when you put the valve cover back on,
you tighten the cover by working in a crisscross pattern. If you just start
on one end you will not have even amount of pressure on the gasket surface
which will lead to leaks. Do not over tighten are you will smash the
gasket. Make sure your valve cover is not warped.

Putting Permatex compound on engine and valve cover will help sometimes. I
usually try not to use it unless I can not get the gasket to seal after
proper installation.

Sarge

Old May 25th 05, 08:00 PM
maxpower

> I have a 94 Dodge Spirit with the 3.0 liter engine. The damn things leak
> like a dingy. I have changed the gaskets but no change. I did some
> research on the net and found that this particular engine has that

problem.

> I remember reading something somewhere (I'm still looking) about a kit

that
> will help apply more equal pressure around the edges of the valve cover.
>
> I have asked my local Dodge dealer about it and the guys there said they

had
> never heard of anything like that. I am not sure if its just not a common
> problem or they have selectively forgotten that tidbit of Dodge knowledge

in
> order to extract more of the publics money.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Assuming that the gaskets did not fall out of place when you were installing
the covers back on the heads they really shouldn't leak, unless they are
warped. as the last poster said, make sure you put a dab of permatex on the
corners of the cam caps.
The other thing could be, the head gaskets/cam seal may actually be causing
the leak and a dye test would confirm that. If the leak is on the passenger
side rear, I would look closely at the head gasket

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old June 8th 05, 02:30 AM
JHI

Just a note of caution: If you clean the surface of old gasket and stuff
don't use a metel scrapper...use plastic or wood. reason...aluminum block.