`71 Ghia Convertible Restoration

Old February 12th 05, 06:36 AM
Alex Gilblom

Default `71 Ghia Convertible Restoration

Hi All,

I read here all the time both for VW tips and for the ongoing comedy. I'm
very greatful for the nuggets of wisdom I've already received, and I'm sure
I'll be coming back with more questions, but I wondered if there's anything
that strikes anyone about starting a `71 Ghia restoration that they'd like
to tell me before I start it tomorrow. I've done a bit of VW work here and
there on engines and the like, but never a big job like this. It's my dad's,
he's the original owner. I do plan on posting pictures tomorrow, but
basically, it's in the shape any car would be that's been parked for 15
years that had shot brakes, electrical, and various dings. The engine was
running like a champ the last time it was on though. Like I said, it hasn't
been on in 15 years. Actually, it's 2005 now....make that 16 years. My goal
for now is to get the engine to turn over, and worry about the rest later.
I'll be having a pro do the body work, brakes, and paint, as well as any
transmission work.

I've read here for almost a year now and learned a lot, so I'm not asking
for a comprehensive guide, but any last minute tips from people who've gone
through this would be much appreciated. I've got the Bentley manual, muir
manual, how to rebuild a VW aircooled engine...and plenty more. Also
planning to order the BugMe videos. My shop is set up with a new engine
stand, jack, jack stands, and a creeper. I'm raring to go first thing
tomorrow.

Thanks!

-Alex

---
`69 Sunroof Bug
`71 Ghia Convertible (undergoing restoration)
---

Old February 12th 05, 08:51 AM
ThaDriver

Yeah: Prepare to spend about 7 to 20 grand, depending on how much you can
do yourself. If you want a pro to do the work, I'm available above
Atlanta. 30 yrs. exp.; semi-retired with my own shop so no overhead. I'm
not greedy & can save you probably 35% to 50% of what any other shop would
charge for the same quality work (top quality work using top quality
materials).
I can do everything you don't want to do from the ground up. Well actually
I wouldn't do the convertible top - you should get a *good* upholstery shop
for that (but it's the last thing you'll want to do).
You can email me at imthadriver at yahoo.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Old February 12th 05, 08:48 PM
Mike C.

Whatever you do, do it with love
Mike

lkaboutautos.com...

Old February 13th 05, 05:55 AM
Busman

Take lots of digital pics as you disassemble for reference. I'd also look
for parts in advance of when you need them. I recall having trouble finding
front brake parts for my 71 Ghia as they are 1 or 2 year only parts.
Andy

Old February 14th 05, 01:31 AM
Mel P.

See my website for lots of photos of my 70 KG.

Buy mechanical stuff from BFY, Real Source et al. Buy Ghia only parts from
KGPR.

Email with questions and I'll try to help. I did it all myself, even the
top. Take it slow and do it right.
The body work took the biggest percentage of time on my resto.

--
Mel

77 Revived Bug & 70 Ghia Cabriolet
www.geocities.com/mpernice
PARTS FOR SALE: http://www.geocities.com/njvwclub/vwparts/index.htm
"Alex Gilblom" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I read here all the time both for VW tips and for the ongoing comedy. I'm
> very greatful for the nuggets of wisdom I've already received, and I'm

sure
> I'll be coming back with more questions, but I wondered if there's

anything
> that strikes anyone about starting a `71 Ghia restoration that they'd like
> to tell me before I start it tomorrow. I've done a bit of VW work here and
> there on engines and the like, but never a big job like this. It's my

dad's,
> he's the original owner. I do plan on posting pictures tomorrow, but
> basically, it's in the shape any car would be that's been parked for 15
> years that had shot brakes, electrical, and various dings. The engine was
> running like a champ the last time it was on though. Like I said, it

hasn't
> been on in 15 years. Actually, it's 2005 now....make that 16 years. My

goal
> for now is to get the engine to turn over, and worry about the rest later.
> I'll be having a pro do the body work, brakes, and paint, as well as any
> transmission work.
>
> I've read here for almost a year now and learned a lot, so I'm not asking
> for a comprehensive guide, but any last minute tips from people who've

gone
> through this would be much appreciated. I've got the Bentley manual, muir
> manual, how to rebuild a VW aircooled engine...and plenty more. Also
> planning to order the BugMe videos. My shop is set up with a new engine
> stand, jack, jack stands, and a creeper. I'm raring to go first thing
> tomorrow.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Alex
>
> ---
> `69 Sunroof Bug
> `71 Ghia Convertible (undergoing restoration)
> ---

News==----

Newsgroups