Bright red light in bumper

Old May 4th 05, 03:14 AM
Old Wolf

Default Bright red light in bumper

I have seen a handful of cars recently that have a bright red
light in their rear bumper, at night. It is usually about 1/3
of the way in from the right-hand side of the bumper. This light
is brighter than the car's brake lights and even causes me some
glare problems sometimes. What is the purpose of this light
exactly, and is there a legal brightness or direction limit
for taillights, like there is for headlights?

Old May 4th 05, 04:16 AM
C.H.

On Tue, 03 May 2005 19:14:14 -0700, Old Wolf wrote:

> I have seen a handful of cars recently that have a bright red
> light in their rear bumper, at night. It is usually about 1/3
> of the way in from the right-hand side of the bumper. This light
> is brighter than the car's brake lights and even causes me some
> glare problems sometimes. What is the purpose of this light
> exactly, and is there a legal brightness or direction limit
> for taillights, like there is for headlights?

It's a rear foglight. In Europe it is mandatory, but only legal for use
in fog when visibility is less than 150 feet. Over here some bozos either
have no idea their vehicle is equipped with this annoying device or don't
care and just drive around with it on all the time.

Chris
Old May 4th 05, 04:42 AM
Ad absurdum per aspera

Just one, red, off center and apart from the others, usually on the
driver's side? Sounds like a rear fog lamp.

People are supposed to use it only in actual fog. Alas (at least here
in the US) even using the front ones appropriately seems to be asking
too much, so maybe it's just as well that the thing is rarely fitted
hereabouts.

Cheers,
--Joe

Old May 4th 05, 05:35 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Old Wolf wrote:

> I have seen a handful of cars recently that have a bright red light in
> their rear bumper, at night. It is usually about 1/3 of the way in from
> the right-hand side of the bumper. This light is brighter than the car's
> brake lights and even causes me some glare problems sometimes. What is
> the purpose of this light exactly, and is there a legal brightness or
> direction limit for taillights, like there is for headlights?

Rear Fog Lamps. Mandatory in Europe, optional in North America. This
article explains them: http://lighting.articles.mbz.org/rearfogs/

Proper implementation is a single lamp (duals mimic brake lamps); proper
placement of a single lamp is on the driver's side of the car.

The problem is that people misuse them (leave them on all the time) or
just aren't even aware their car has them. Present wiring/switching
requirements fail to prevent this; proposed new ones in Europe certainly
will.

And yes, there are legal intensity minimum and maximum, angular spread,
color and other requirements for all exterior lighting functions including
rear fog.

DS
Old May 4th 05, 10:06 AM
Nate Nagel

Old Wolf wrote:

> I have seen a handful of cars recently that have a bright red
> light in their rear bumper, at night. It is usually about 1/3
> of the way in from the right-hand side of the bumper. This light
> is brighter than the car's brake lights and even causes me some
> glare problems sometimes. What is the purpose of this light
> exactly, and is there a legal brightness or direction limit
> for taillights, like there is for headlights?

Rear fog light. Only to be used in heavy fog, theoretically.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old May 4th 05, 04:02 PM
Kevin Rhodes

>Rear fog light. Only to be used in heavy fog, theoretically.
>
>nate

Though I think they are very helpful in heavy rain\spray and snow as well,
particularly during the day.

Kevin
Old May 5th 05, 02:27 AM
Ulf

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Old Wolf wrote:
>
>> I have seen a handful of cars recently that have a bright red
>> light in their rear bumper, at night. It is usually about 1/3
>> of the way in from the right-hand side of the bumper. This light
>> is brighter than the car's brake lights and even causes me some
>> glare problems sometimes. What is the purpose of this light
>> exactly, and is there a legal brightness or direction limit
>> for taillights, like there is for headlights?
>>

> Rear fog light. Only to be used in heavy fog, theoretically.

I wonder if the people who drive with the rear fog lights on all the
time ever wonder what that orange light on the dash means. Likewise, if
a red warning light lit up, would they even notice?

> nate

Ulf
Old May 5th 05, 10:15 AM
Mot Adv-NSW

"Doug Warner" > wrote in message
news Ulf > wrote:

>I wonder if the people who drive with the rear fog lights on all the
>time ever wonder what that orange light on the dash means. Likewise, if
>a red warning light lit up, would they even notice?

Some keep the front fogs on all the time, because, for some odd
reason, they want to see what's 10 feet in front of their car at 60
MPH. The rear fog comes on with it.

The rear fog light has its own independant switch sire with a yellow pilot
lamp. It should operate if the front fogs are lit, and/or if the low or
high-beam is lit.

To minimize the glare, I raise the overall light level while following
these cars, by turning my high beams on. When I finally pass them, I
give them a long flash of my rear fog.

Understandable, one problem faced by the US is that only one State mentions
them in their driver manual, NYS:
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmanual...r10-manual.htm