Any recommendations for Mechanic schools in South Jersey/Philadelphia

Old September 13th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Any recommendations for Mechanic schools in South Jersey/Philadelphia

Hello,
I am going to be graduating from high school this year and would
like to go to school for auto mechanics. My father wants me to go to
college, so I have found a way of satisfying both. Our local community
college, BCC, offers an associates degree in auto mechanics in
combination with a tech school called BCTI
(http://www.bcit.cc/bcit/site/default.asp). Any comments on this
school? Any comments on this path? I'm looking for the best school
I can go to, that provides the best prospects upon graduation.
My only other option would be going in the service and learn there,
have actual hands on experience, but my father doesn't think that's
such a great idea either. He was in the Navy for 10 years and said it
may take a while before you are actually trusted enough to work on
equipment.
Any advice from people in the trade is most welcomed.

P.S. What is the salary range for starting out and after a few years
experience. My father thinks that becoming an engineer and designing
the engines would be a better path, but I really don't want to design
them, I want to work on them. Thanks.

Old September 13th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
> I am going to be graduating from high school this year and would
>like to go to school for auto mechanics. My father wants me to go to
>college, so I have found a way of satisfying both. Our local community
>college, BCC, offers an associates degree in auto mechanics in
>combination with a tech school called BCTI
>(
http://www.bcit.cc/bcit/site/default.asp). Any comments on this
>school? Any comments on this path? I'm looking for the best school
>I can go to, that provides the best prospects upon graduation.

I don't know it. But I'm going to tell you... if you can cut the math
and physics, you should look higher and go to an engineering school. There
is a serious, serious shortage of people out there who have both good
engineering skills and also know how to actually work on equipment.

> My only other option would be going in the service and learn there,
>have actual hands on experience, but my father doesn't think that's
>such a great idea either. He was in the Navy for 10 years and said it
>may take a while before you are actually trusted enough to work on
>equipment.

I suspect that the military today is a lot different than the way it was
when he and I had experience with it. I know for sure that there is a lot
less emphasis on training folks in actual theory and a lot more emphasis on
parts swapping. When I was a kid, the military electronics training was
second to none and was almost a guarantee of a job when you got out. These
days they teach very little actual theory because electronics repair consists
of swapping out modules at the depot and sending the bad ones to the
manufacturer.

>P.S. What is the salary range for starting out and after a few years
>experience. My father thinks that becoming an engineer and designing
>the engines would be a better path, but I really don't want to design
>them, I want to work on them. Thanks.

Having an engineering degree is not a bad thing in any way, and it sure
doesn't keep you from working on them. Hell, my local independant BMW
mechanic has an ME degree from Clarkson. I suspect you _need_ one these
days to understand what's going on with some of the control systems...
--scott
Old September 13th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
RayV

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
> > I am going to be graduating from high school this year and would
> >like to go to school for auto mechanics. My father wants me to go to
> >college, so I have found a way of satisfying both. Our local community
> >college, BCC, offers an associates degree in auto mechanics in
> >combination with a tech school called BCTI
> >(
http://www.bcit.cc/bcit/site/default.asp). Any comments on this
> >school? Any comments on this path? I'm looking for the best school
> >I can go to, that provides the best prospects upon graduation.

> I don't know it. But I'm going to tell you... if you can cut the math
> and physics, you should look higher and go to an engineering school. There
> is a serious, serious shortage of people out there who have both good
> engineering skills and also know how to actually work on equipment.
>
> > My only other option would be going in the service and learn there,
> >have actual hands on experience, but my father doesn't think that's
> >such a great idea either. He was in the Navy for 10 years and said it
> >may take a while before you are actually trusted enough to work on
> >equipment.

> I suspect that the military today is a lot different than the way it was
> when he and I had experience with it. I know for sure that there is a lot
> less emphasis on training folks in actual theory and a lot more emphasis on
> parts swapping. When I was a kid, the military electronics training was
> second to none and was almost a guarantee of a job when you got out. These
> days they teach very little actual theory because electronics repair consists
> of swapping out modules at the depot and sending the bad ones to the
> manufacturer.
>
> >P.S. What is the salary range for starting out and after a few years
> >experience. My father thinks that becoming an engineer and designing
> >the engines would be a better path, but I really don't want to design
> >them, I want to work on them. Thanks.

> Having an engineering degree is not a bad thing in any way, and it sure
> doesn't keep you from working on them. Hell, my local independant BMW
> mechanic has an ME degree from Clarkson. I suspect you _need_ one these
> days to understand what's going on with some of the control systems...
> --scott

Good advice from Scott and your dad.

I was a jet mechanic in the military from 85 to 91 and the work was a
lot of R&R. Take out the bad part and replace with a new part per the
troubleshooting guide. I did get all of the the theoretical training
but put little of it to use. That said, military experience on your
resume goes a long way in showing dedication and dependability.

I worked as a mechanic when I got out in Mercer Co (Hamilton &
Princeton). One job paid me 40% of the total repair bill for cars I
fixed. The other paid me 35% of labor and 5% of parts. The money was
great for a young single guy just out of the military, but...
No benefits, No pension, No security
What if I got sick?
What happens when I'm 50 and lifting a transmission is no longer fun?
What if it is a slow week and no customers come in? (40% of zero sucks)
What if I broke my hand on the weekend?
I got out pretty quick and took a job that paid less but had benefits
and a retirement plan. Eventually it turned out to be a much better
career for the money also.

If you are determined to become a mechanic Lincoln Tech is a good
school. My BIL went there years ago and got a job with a utility
company right after graduating. A friend of mine is an instructor
there and says they have a great program.

Good luck and thank your dad for his service