Brown color of Automatic Transmission Fluid

Old December 19th 04, 08:39 AM
Lawrence Glickman

Default Brown color of Automatic Transmission Fluid

I have a slight problem, dilemma.

I checked my fluid level today on my auto tranny and it looked a
little brown to me, not the pink/red it was when I put it in.

Since I wasn't sure, I put some on a paper towel, and then next to it
a drop or two of New out-of the bottle ATF. Sure enough, the stuff
from the tranny IS brown in comparison with the from-the-bottle stuff.

I have a transmission cooler that came stock with the car, and haven't
abused the vehicle in any way. So I don't understand the color shift,
since this vehicle only has about 13, 600 miles on it altogether.

Question:

Should I take this into dealer for warranty inspection
or
Should I just go ahead and change the fluid myself.

Is there something -wrong- with the transmission that caused this to
occur.

This is a 2003 Vulcan 3.0 Liter with 13,600 original miles on it.

Lg

Old December 19th 04, 09:10 AM
ztip guy

Take it in for warranty work. I would also insist on being there, beside
the mechanic, to see the pan/filter being removed to check for serious
amounts of wear metal. This should not be happening on a brand new car.

Old December 19th 04, 09:16 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 02:10:19 -0600, "ztip guy"
> wrote:

>Take it in for warranty work. I would also insist on being there, beside
>the mechanic, to see the pan/filter being removed to check for serious
>amounts of wear metal. This should not be happening on a brand new car.

Will do Ztip. Thanks for the advice. I could hardly believe my eyes,
that's why I did the side by side test on a white paper towel.

I'll be at their Service Bay first thing monday morning.

Thanks

Lg

.. .

Old December 20th 04, 03:08 AM
Ray

Lawrence Glickman wrote:

> I have a slight problem, dilemma.
>
> I checked my fluid level today on my auto tranny and it looked a
> little brown to me, not the pink/red it was when I put it in.

Does it smell burnt? Brown is not the correct color of any ATF I've
ever seen in an healthy tranny.

Seeing as how it's an '03, that's definitely a warranty thing. Bring
the bottles in you used in case they start giving you a hassle about
using the wrong fluid...

Ray
Old December 20th 04, 03:12 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:08:32 GMT, Ray > wrote:

>Lawrence Glickman wrote:
>>
>> I have a slight problem, dilemma.
>>
>> I checked my fluid level today on my auto tranny and it looked a
>> little brown to me, not the pink/red it was when I put it in.
>>

>Does it smell burnt?

Didn't give it the sniff test, but didn't notice anything other than
color shift.

> Brown is not the correct color of any ATF I've
>ever seen in an healthy tranny.

Same here.

>Seeing as how it's an '03, that's definitely a warranty thing. Bring
>the bottles in you used in case they start giving you a hassle about
>using the wrong fluid...

Will do.
And a paper towel, so I can put a drop of my tranny fluid out of the
bottle next to a drop of tranny fluid out of the car side by side.

The difference is quite starteling. I can hardly believe I'm having
this problem with only 13.6 Kmiles on the dang thing !

>Ray

Lg

Old December 20th 04, 03:47 AM
shiden_kai

Lawrence Glickman wrote:

> The difference is quite starteling. I can hardly believe I'm having
> this problem with only 13.6 Kmiles on the dang thing !

Well, you bought a Ford, live with it!!

Ian

Old December 21st 04, 08:13 AM

>This is a 2003 Vulcan 3.0 Liter with 13,600 original miles on it.<

Kawasaki Vulcans have an integral crankcase/shiftbox. They're entire
housing is filled from one point and it takes engine oil.
Use Mercon, ****face!
**** you!

Plonk!

Transmission Fluid Dan Fraser Dodge 12 August 10th 04 06:08 AM
Transmission fluid avalibility Alan W. Blackmon Dodge 14 July 10th 04 06:17 AM