New Mustang Cobra rear suspension

Old March 29th 05, 03:51 PM
Big Al

Default New Mustang Cobra rear suspension

Anyone know if the new Mustang Cobra will have a solid or independent rear
axle? If it ever comes out

Al

Old March 29th 05, 09:50 PM
Chris Shea

supposedly it will be solid

no irs

Old March 30th 05, 12:28 AM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:51:33 -0700, "Big Al" >
wrote:

>Anyone know if the new Mustang Cobra will have a solid or independent rear
>axle? If it ever comes out
>
>Al

****
ford uses CHEAP suspension in all their products
cheap tooooooo
u cant even get 30k on balljoints in a f450

fords idea:
sell the same part in all cars
make them so they dont last

btw if you seen what other auto manufactures use
ford has blown it
they are miles behind in this area

hurc ast
Old March 30th 05, 04:13 AM

Big Al wrote:
> Anyone know if the new Mustang Cobra will have a solid or independent

rear
> axle? If it ever comes out

Al,

It's going to be a solid axle. According to Ford, most Mustang
enthusiasts like to drag race and there's nothing better than a solid
axle for that. Plus, Ford says a solid axle helps keep the price down
by a couple grand.

Personally, I like both reasons.

Patrick
'93 Cobra

Old March 30th 05, 07:14 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

Brent P wrote:
> In article . com>, wrote:
>
>>Big Al wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone know if the new Mustang Cobra will have a solid or independent

>>rear
>>
>>>axle? If it ever comes out

>>Al,
>>
>>It's going to be a solid axle. According to Ford, most Mustang
>>enthusiasts like to drag race and there's nothing better than a solid
>>axle for that. Plus, Ford says a solid axle helps keep the price down
>>by a couple grand.
>>
>>Personally, I like both reasons.

> It's just ford bull****. They can put an IRS in a simple base level family
> sedan in austrailia. Ford can also build one that can hold up to drag
> racing just fine. They simply choose not to do so with the mustang
> because most buyers in the USA won't notice. Then they can pocket the
> money they don't spend on development. And I doubt it keeps the price
> down to us any. The price is what they think the market will bare and
> not a penny less.
>
> The top mustang here in the USA doesn't even get the same consideration as a
> grocery getter in another country. In the USA it's all about marketing
> and getting away with cheapening the product in any way they can.

That grocery getter isn't sporting a 5.4L, DOHC, four valve head,
fordged rotating assembly engine topped with a twin screw blower either.
Nothing is perfect but, IMHO, the GT500 is damn close. In the real
world I bet the difference in performance between the new solid axle
design and an IRS setup is minimal at best.

Old March 30th 05, 08:25 AM
Brent P

In article >, Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
>> It's just ford bull****. They can put an IRS in a simple base level family
>> sedan in austrailia. Ford can also build one that can hold up to drag
>> racing just fine. They simply choose not to do so with the mustang
>> because most buyers in the USA won't notice. Then they can pocket the
>> money they don't spend on development. And I doubt it keeps the price
>> down to us any. The price is what they think the market will bare and
>> not a penny less.
>>
>> The top mustang here in the USA doesn't even get the same consideration as a
>> grocery getter in another country. In the USA it's all about marketing
>> and getting away with cheapening the product in any way they can.

> That grocery getter isn't sporting a 5.4L, DOHC, four valve head,
> fordged rotating assembly engine topped with a twin screw blower either.
> Nothing is perfect but, IMHO, the GT500 is damn close. In the real
> world I bet the difference in performance between the new solid axle
> design and an IRS setup is minimal at best.

So you are going to tell me ford engineers are morons? Come on. They can
do it. In fact, that 'grocery getter' has high performance models as well.
http://www.fpv.com.au/ 388hp from the boss 290 V8...

If ford engineers can't make a proper IRS, then I doubt their ability to
design the rest of the car. That's what makes it a matter of marketeer
and bean-counter will, not one of 'too much horsepower'. Because if they
can't do an IRS, they couldn't do the engine or transmission either.