cats and cars

Old August 30th 04, 02:55 AM
tonyrama

Default cats and cars

Hi all
Does anybody have any ideas on how to keep cats away from cars? Is there
anything that can be done?

Tonyrama

Old August 30th 04, 04:10 AM
Expmiata

>Hi all
> Does anybody have any ideas on how to keep cats away from cars? Is there
>anything that can be done?
>
>Tonyrama

I just have to keep my car cover on. Otherwise, cat paws all over the
place....geeze.

~Cissy
Old August 30th 04, 05:11 AM
Dana Myers

Expmiata wrote:

>>Hi all
>>Does anybody have any ideas on how to keep cats away from cars? Is there
>>anything that can be done?

Nothing I've found, except maybe keep a big dog near the car (which
has problems, too).

> I just have to keep my car cover on. Otherwise, cat paws all over the
> place....geeze.

Tell me about it. Our cats love the warm hoods when we drive the
car into the garage - even in summer when it's warm out - and they
love the warmth of the driver's seat ('cause it smells like me, I'm
sure) if I leave the top down, and they love the top if I put it up.

Paw-prints everywhere. The nice thing is, paw-prints come off really
easily with a Quick Detail spray and a soft towel, so your car can
always be shiny after a few minutes.

Dana
Old August 31st 04, 01:08 AM
Tom Howlin

12 gauge, #8 if you want them to die a slow death, buckshot if you're
merciful. Seriously, I've tried mothballs, pet repellant, even a propane
cannon hooked up to an electric eye that would fire off if it was
tripped. Scared that s... out of me at 2 in the morning but didn't seem
to deter the cat. The cats belong to neighbors and don't just leave paw
prints, they like to use the top as a scratch post. I have tried
putting mousetraps on top of the car but then I've got to take them off
when I want to drive and end up setting off one or two. It really seems
the only long term solution was my first suggestion and then you want to
let them clear the car first (obviously).

Tom (cat hater)
92 Red

Old August 31st 04, 01:49 AM
Leon van Dommelen

Tom Howlin > wrote:

>12 gauge, #8 if you want them to die a slow death, buckshot if you're
>merciful. Seriously, I've tried mothballs, pet repellant, even a propane
>cannon hooked up to an electric eye that would fire off if it was
>tripped. Scared that s... out of me at 2 in the morning but didn't seem
>to deter the cat. The cats belong to neighbors and don't just leave paw
>prints, they like to use the top as a scratch post.

It helps to get an evolution IV car cover, and then after a bit replace
it with duralon. The cats will be so ****ed at you that they will
absolutely refuse to partake of any more of your hospitality. Though
I must say there is one weak-willed one who I have seen on my duralon
cover anyway.

Leon

> I have tried
>putting mousetraps on top of the car but then I've got to take them off
>when I want to drive and end up setting off one or two. It really seems
>the only long term solution was my first suggestion and then you want to
>let them clear the car first (obviously).
>
>Tom (cat hater)
>92 Red
>tonyrama wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>> Does anybody have any ideas on how to keep cats away from cars? Is there
>> anything that can be done?
>>
>> Tonyrama

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old August 31st 04, 09:46 PM
tonyrama

"Tom Howlin" > wrote in message
> 12 gauge, #8 if you want them to die a slow death, buckshot if you're
> merciful. Seriously, I've tried mothballs, pet repellant, even a propane
> cannon hooked up to an electric eye that would fire off if it was
> tripped. Scared that s... out of me at 2 in the morning but didn't seem
> to deter the cat. The cats belong to neighbors and don't just leave paw
> prints, they like to use the top as a scratch post. I have tried
> putting mousetraps on top of the car but then I've got to take them off
> when I want to drive and end up setting off one or two. It really seems
> the only long term solution was my first suggestion and then you want to
> let them clear the car first (obviously).
>
> Tom (cat hater)
> 92 Red
> tonyrama wrote:

I had hoped there were less lethal alternatives, though I had considered
leaving out some antifreeze or something like that. If I leave the top up,
they walk all over it. If I leave it down, they knit and sit on the window
protector. At this point, I'd rather the protector be ruined than the top.
But it's a little annoying having all that sand in the car from when they
come in muddy.

Tonyrama

Old August 31st 04, 11:50 PM
Iva

tonyrama wrote:

> I had hoped there were less lethal alternatives, though I had

considered
> leaving out some antifreeze or something like that. If I leave

the top up,
> they walk all over it. If I leave it down, they knit and sit on

the window
> protector. At this point, I'd rather the protector be ruined

than the top.
> But it's a little annoying having all that sand in the car from

when they
> come in muddy.

Antifreeze is still lethal - and a *very* ugly death for a cat or
dog.

Have you considered double-sided tape? I think it's manufactured
under the name "Sticky Paws". My four cats absolutely hate
walking on the stuff and avoid it at all costs.

--
Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Old September 1st 04, 12:37 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"tonyrama" > wrote:

>"Tom Howlin" > wrote in message
>> 12 gauge, #8 if you want them to die a slow death, buckshot if you're
>> merciful. Seriously, I've tried mothballs, pet repellant, even a propane
>> cannon hooked up to an electric eye that would fire off if it was
>> tripped. Scared that s... out of me at 2 in the morning but didn't seem
>> to deter the cat. The cats belong to neighbors and don't just leave paw
>> prints, they like to use the top as a scratch post. I have tried
>> putting mousetraps on top of the car but then I've got to take them off
>> when I want to drive and end up setting off one or two. It really seems
>> the only long term solution was my first suggestion and then you want to
>> let them clear the car first (obviously).
>>
>> Tom (cat hater)
>> 92 Red
>> tonyrama wrote:

>I had hoped there were less lethal alternatives, though I had considered
>leaving out some antifreeze or something like that. If I leave the top up,
>they walk all over it. If I leave it down, they knit and sit on the window
>protector. At this point, I'd rather the protector be ruined than the top.
>But it's a little annoying having all that sand in the car from when they
>come in muddy.

How about a cockpit cover? They are relatively inexpensive and easy to
deal with.

Leon

Old September 1st 04, 07:13 AM
HardwareLust

Iva wrote:

> Have you considered double-sided tape? I think it's manufactured
> under the name "Sticky Paws". My four cats absolutely hate
> walking on the stuff and avoid it at all costs.

Yup, I'll vouch for that stuff. Stops 'em cold. They hate it. That, and
aluminum foil too.

Regards,
H.

Old September 1st 04, 11:49 PM
Gary Fuchs

My cats hate the smell of Chap Stick and similar products. Some rubbed
into the top seams might do it without harming anything, or being
perceptible to you.

If you can wait with a hose and spray them right as they jump they might
get the idea. We use a squirt bottle for this in the house for keeping
them off tables, counters, etc.

Those are only possibilities though. I haven't actually tried these
methods to keep cats away from the car. Driving somewhere (start slowly)
is the only way that's worked reliably for me. Sometimes I have to do it
throughout the day because the cars are so stubborn.

Gary Fuchs