Maryland State Emissions test failure-any suggestions?

Old December 9th 04, 02:22 PM
old school bmw owner

Michael, thanks for replying. Only 1 spark plug was oil-fouled. The
other 5 were worn with what looks like carbon deposits. I was hoping
for advice other than it's time to surrender the car, but you're
probably correct, the time has come. I just hate to junk this car. It
drives great, it starts up every time and it does exactly what I need
it to do. Do you think that a new costlier cat will reduce emissions,
or is that just wasting money? Thanks again.

Old December 9th 04, 02:24 PM
old school bmw owner

Rita, thanks for the support. Actually in MD it's $450

Old December 9th 04, 02:30 PM
old school bmw owner

Thanks for replying Dan. I flushed the cooling system and installed new
hoses and thermostat last year. I don't think I have an EGR system. Do
you think that the universal cat is my problem and that I should
replace it with a better grade, more expensive cat? The temp. in MD
yesterday was 60 degrees. Would a brand new O2 sensor reduce my HC and
NOx?

Old December 9th 04, 02:31 PM
old school bmw owner

This is where my head starts spinning

Old December 9th 04, 02:35 PM
old school bmw owner

Hey Daniel, why are you getting so nasty? I posted a question hoping
that you guys/gals with this type of knowledge could help me as I have
helped others in my area of expertise. Don't get so upset with me ok?

Old December 9th 04, 02:37 PM
old school bmw owner

Hey James make an offer on the car, ha ha. In MD it's $450 in
emissions costs for a 2 yr waiver.

Old December 9th 04, 02:40 PM
old school bmw owner

Thanks, but what would have caused my HC to pass the first time and
fail after I did what I did? My Nox went down a little and my Hc went
up. I don't have an EGR system nor a carb, my car is fuel injected.

Old December 9th 04, 03:24 PM

I know people who have gotten a new engine for their car because of
failed emissions. And I do live in Maryland. I have a Jasper rebuilt
engine and after 3 years it's still doing just fine and passes
emissions easier than the original engine that came with the car.

Old December 9th 04, 04:27 PM
ed

I have the same issue (my one car I drive for fun is 86 Jag Xj6), I am
currently trying one thing at a time until I nail the problem as my time
allows, but in the mean time I am paying 14 bucks a month for the tests,
which right now is cheaper than getting the 450 dollar waiver for me. Add it
up.

Old December 9th 04, 04:32 PM
ed

so are you saying a car is more likely to pass on a warmer day?

Maryland State Emissions test failure-any suggestions? old school bmw owner BMW 55 December 14th 04 11:40 PM
Drive Clean, old A2s, and NOx emissions Garry Tarr VW water cooled 1 November 9th 04 12:18 PM
Integra Emissions Failure Dkakd Honda 13 November 8th 04 09:14 AM
HELP! 88 Suzuki Samurai Won't pass emissions test BIG TIME! xyzzy 4x4 8 April 1st 04 05:48 PM