Problems with 98 accord v6

Old December 13th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
SeanB

Default Problems with 98 accord v6

Yesterday, while taking my car through a touch free car wash the
lights on the information cluster started randomly blinking like a
Christmas tree, eventually stopped blinking and some of the indicator
lights remained on such as the open door indicator, the parking brake
light, and low battery light. The car still ran fine until I left
work, on the way home the radio and heat cut out, the gauge lights
dimmed or even cut off, and weirdly enough even though the car was in
drive the transmission cut out as if it was in neutral and the engine
would just rev when I gave it gas. This lasted for a minute, but the
transmission cut back in and I was able to get home. Once parked
turned the car off and tried to turn it back on, but the ignition
clicked as if the battery was dead. This morning I removed the
positive connection from the battery hoping to reset, didn't
work...then I jumped the car and and it started, but died as soon as I
tried to engage...jumped it again, started, but soon no auxillary
power, engine ran very rough, idled at next to nothing, and the gauges
disengaged and eventually the engine died out. Don't know whats going
on, maybe ECU short, alternator, or simply a battery
problem.....please help, any info would be appreciated
Old December 13th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

SeanB > wrote in news:bf7ea295-ec9f-488b-a8fd-
:

> Yesterday, while taking my car through a touch free car wash the
> lights on the information cluster started randomly blinking like a
> Christmas tree, eventually stopped blinking and some of the indicator
> lights remained on such as the open door indicator, the parking brake
> light, and low battery light. The car still ran fine until I left
> work, on the way home the radio and heat cut out, the gauge lights
> dimmed or even cut off, and weirdly enough even though the car was in
> drive the transmission cut out as if it was in neutral and the engine
> would just rev when I gave it gas. This lasted for a minute, but the
> transmission cut back in and I was able to get home. Once parked
> turned the car off and tried to turn it back on, but the ignition
> clicked as if the battery was dead. This morning I removed the
> positive connection from the battery hoping to reset, didn't
> work...then I jumped the car and and it started, but died as soon as I
> tried to engage...jumped it again, started, but soon no auxillary
> power, engine ran very rough, idled at next to nothing, and the gauges
> disengaged and eventually the engine died out. Don't know whats going
> on, maybe ECU short, alternator, or simply a battery
> problem.....please help, any info would be appreciated

Blown alternators are known to cause such problems, so have that checked.

Does your VIN start with "1" or "J"? If a "1", you may have a Delco
alternator, which is prone to failure.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old December 14th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

SeanB wrote:
> Yesterday, while taking my car through a touch free car wash the
> lights on the information cluster started randomly blinking like a
> Christmas tree, eventually stopped blinking and some of the indicator
> lights remained on such as the open door indicator, the parking brake
> light, and low battery light. The car still ran fine until I left
> work, on the way home the radio and heat cut out, the gauge lights
> dimmed or even cut off, and weirdly enough even though the car was in
> drive the transmission cut out as if it was in neutral and the engine
> would just rev when I gave it gas. This lasted for a minute, but the
> transmission cut back in and I was able to get home. Once parked
> turned the car off and tried to turn it back on, but the ignition
> clicked as if the battery was dead. This morning I removed the
> positive connection from the battery hoping to reset, didn't
> work...then I jumped the car and and it started, but died as soon as I
> tried to engage...jumped it again, started, but soon no auxillary
> power, engine ran very rough, idled at next to nothing, and the gauges
> disengaged and eventually the engine died out. Don't know whats going
> on, maybe ECU short, alternator, or simply a battery
> problem.....please help, any info would be appreciated

------------------------------------

You got water in your ICU . . . This guy had the same problem because
of a leak: > Gene Wagenbreth <genewxxx@isi-OS4> wrote in
:

>> > I posted last week about my 90 accord electrical problem. After a rain
>> > windshield wipers, oil light, parking light, and various buzzers went
>> > on and off at random. When wipers turned on, even pulling the fuse
>> > didnt shut them off. My mechanic said he didnt do this sort of
>> > electrical problem.
>> >
>> > I found a one man shop to look at it. Left lower corner of windshield
>> > leaked. The control unit by the drivers kick panel was wet. The
>> > circuit board had mold and rust. Fixed windshield leak and
>> > replaced control unit and problem is fixed. (I hope. Its supposed to
>> > rain tonight so I will find out.)

> It's called the ICU (Integrated Control Unit). It manages a whole pile of
> miscellaneous electrical stuff. Honda has in recent years given the ICU
> even more jobs to do, and has renamed it the MCU (Multiplex Control Unit).
>
> Your post is interesting in that it explains how a device normally
> well-shielded by weather could become damaged by moistu Rust in the
> windshield pinchweld.

-------------------------

'Curly'
Old December 25th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TE Chea

"SeanB" >|
|.please help

mysterios ( Mr know all ) deserve problems

1995 Honda Accord EX - Brake problems, many problems [email protected] Honda 1 October 19th 07 02:17 AM
1995 Honda Accord EX - Brake problems, many problems queenslacker Honda 0 October 18th 07 07:10 PM
03 Accord problems dede Honda 0 December 1st 06 07:31 PM
93 Honda Accord with problems Imagnat Honda 9 June 6th 06 04:37 AM
Problems with '98 Accord EX... EGR maybe ?? [email protected] Honda 3 November 21st 05 03:21 AM