Otocinclus life-span

Old December 28th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Otavio Exel

Default Otocinclus life-span

hello everybody!

it's been a long time...
I used to post here a lot some 4 years ago!

What's the expected life-span of the Otocinclus? I remember reading it
was 2.5 years; today, google'ing around I read someone mention 3 to 10
years!!!

The reason I ask is because I have one single Oto left from a batch of
7 I bought on 10/oct/2002, so the little guy is more than 5 years old!
Is this normal?

I plan to get him some mates shortly; I must admit I'm afraid to scare
him (he got used to living alone during all those years);

[]s & TIA,

--
Otavio Exel /\oo/\
Old December 28th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
AquariumFatasies[_2_]

On Dec 28, 7:39*am, Otavio Exel wrote:
hello everybody!

it's been a long time...
I used to post here a lot some 4 years ago!

What's the expected life-span of the Otocinclus? I remember reading it
was 2.5 years; today, google'ing around I read someone mention 3 to 10
years!!!

The reason I ask is because I have one single Oto left from a batch of
7 I bought on 10/oct/2002, so the little guy is more than 5 years old!
Is this normal?

I plan to get him some mates shortly; I must admit I'm afraid to scare
him (he got used to living alone during all those years);

[]s & TIA,

--
Otavio Exel /\oo/\

The ones I have are from 4 to 6 years of age..................and
thats by going on when I got them and how long I have had them. No
clue how old they were initially when I bought them.
Old December 28th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
carlrs

On Dec 28, 5:39*am, Otavio Exel wrote:
hello everybody!

it's been a long time...
I used to post here a lot some 4 years ago!

What's the expected life-span of the Otocinclus? I remember reading it
was 2.5 years; today, google'ing around I read someone mention 3 to 10
years!!!

The reason I ask is because I have one single Oto left from a batch of
7 I bought on 10/oct/2002, so the little guy is more than 5 years old!
Is this normal?

I plan to get him some mates shortly; I must admit I'm afraid to scare
him (he got used to living alone during all those years);

[]s & TIA,

--
Otavio Exel /\oo/\

My experience has been around 5 years with these catfish, so I think
you are doing about normal.

This site may be of some help to you as well: http://www.fishlore.com/profiles_otocinclus.htm

Carl
Old December 28th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Reel McKoi[_10_]

"Otavio Exel" wrote in message
r...
hello everybody!

it's been a long time...
I used to post here a lot some 4 years ago!

What's the expected life-span of the Otocinclus? I remember reading it
was 2.5 years; today, google'ing around I read someone mention 3 to 10
years!!!

Mine last around 3 years but there is no way to know their age when you buy
them. The last ones I bought I asked for the smallest ones hoping they were
the youngest.

The reason I ask is because I have one single Oto left from a batch of
7 I bought on 10/oct/2002, so the little guy is more than 5 years old!
Is this normal?

Wow! You must have some healthy algae in your tank and excellent water
conditions. :-)

I plan to get him some mates shortly; I must admit I'm afraid to scare
him (he got used to living alone during all those years);

--

RM....
Zone 6. Middle TN USA
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(

Old December 28th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
AquariumFatasies[_2_]

On Dec 28, 12:38*pm, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:
[...]

~~~~ *}((((* *~~~ * }{{{{(

Otocincs are easy if you ensure they have enough algae. They are
quite hardy. I never had any that really did well on algae wafers.
They prefer algae thats fresh and growing. While I must say the link
that Carls was usefull for a change and did not point to his online
spam store, there is m uch easier ways once setup to ensure a supply
of nice algae for these fish as well as others that like it and it doe
snot involve any work once its all setup and in place. Just like
eliminating or reducing algae with lighting schedule its the same
basic principal used to grow algae and confine it to an area. I can
justabout always find my Oto's in my designated algae growiing area,
doing what Oto's do best.easting algae. NORI algae sheets also work
better than algae wafers.........don;pt buty it in petstores but buyt
it at oriental food stores or other grocery stores that has imported
type foods. Its found in the oriental food sections and Otos as well
as any other algae eating fish love it...........but make sure yu get
the green sheets not the red or brown.........$1.00 will get you a
dozen or so 8 x 11 inch sheets in a pack that will last quite a long
time........or spend about $10 for a few 4 x 10 inch strips in a LFS

Still nothing beats fresh grown algae in an inconspicuous spot in the
tank (mine is in the back right bottom and grows a nice patch of
algae of approx 8" x 12")

Oh and Carls, lets see if you can keep up with the good posts that do
not include yur china made crap ok? Your doing good so far and this
makes 3 IIRC posts without spam. I know once a spammer always a
spammer and its hard to break old habits.............Tynk is a perfect
example of this statement.............so prove me wrong dude....leave
the spam out of this group..and things will be a lot more peacefull
overall.
Old December 28th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Reel McKoi[_10_]

"AquariumFatasies" wrote in message

...........but make sure yu get
the green sheets not the red or brown.........$1.00 will get you a
dozen or so 8 x 11 inch sheets in a pack that will last quite a long
time
=================
I remember you mentioning this some time back. So far my little guys have
had enough algae without extras.
--

RM....
Zone 6. Middle TN USA

Tiger Barb life span Bill Stock General 2 March 27th 06 12:39 AM
Life span of Fluval internal filter? Paddy General 3 May 22nd 05 10:56 PM
zebra otocinclus lisacush General 7 February 19th 04 05:13 PM
Otocinclus affinis David J. Braunegg General 15 January 23rd 04 04:11 PM
heater life span Pete General 2 September 18th 03 03:51 AM