idler pulley

Old February 27th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default idler pulley

Do a lot of you have/get squeaks on the idler pulley?

Someone commented about using STP on an idler.

My squeak comes and goes with the weather, and it's annoying!
Old February 27th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Scott in Baltimore did pass the time by typing:
> Do a lot of you have/get squeaks on the idler pulley?
>
> Someone commented about using STP on an idler.
>
> My squeak comes and goes with the weather, and it's annoying!

Sure it's the idler and not something else. I had a lot of squeeks
comeing from the power steering pump pulley, turns out the belt was
out of alignmnet. The harmonic balancer started to walk forward because
the rubber ring failed.

You can tell if it's the belt by using a bar of soap. With the engine
running and squeeking, carefully touch the edge of the belt with the
bar of soap. If the squeek goes away then there is a pulley out of line
and you should check the harmonic balancer.

As for STP on an idler, I gues you could. They arn't that expensive
to replace.

--
DougW

Old February 27th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Scott in Baltimore proclaimed:
> Do a lot of you have/get squeaks on the idler pulley?
>
> Someone commented about using STP on an idler.
>
> My squeak comes and goes with the weather, and it's annoying!

I had one that if I ran the thing heavy, as in crossing the sierras...
if I parked it and the next day was overly wet and cold, the idler would
squeak for under a minute on a cold start. I used a mix of STP,
Castrol Syntec, and Marvel Mystery Oil. Mostly STP, with the Castrol
Syntec to thin it down to roughly a 90 weight gear lube consistency.
Then just a couple capfuls of Marvel Mystery to get a bit of quick
penetration.

The hard part is getting the mix into the bearing without getting it on
the serpentine [which would not be a good idea]. I used a piece of
hobby shop brass tube bent just a tad so it could drop just a few small
drops right along the bearing face.

Been quiet ever since the first treatment.

I have a new idler and do plan to replace it, probably when I put in a
new serpentine at 90K. Or if it starts squeaking again.

Old February 27th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I tried to get lubricant into my idler bushing and didn't have much
luck. The thing wobbled anyway.

The bushing, bolt and washer are 3 separate parts that can be ordered
individually. There is no need for the pulley unless it is damaged.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 27th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

All the ones I have seen just had a bronze bushing in them. When they
wear, the bushing and bolt and washer all need replacing.

Mike

Old February 28th 06, 08:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

All the ones I've seen have the ball bearings - jusr replaced one for
my son last week. Damn things sure have gone up in price since I did
the one on my MJ.

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:13:55 UTC "Earle Horton"
> wrote:

> Don't these things have sealed bearings, probably ball bearings?
>
> Earle
>
> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> > I tried to get lubricant into my idler bushing and didn't have much
> > luck. The thing wobbled anyway.
> >
> > The bushing, bolt and washer are 3 separate parts that can be ordered
> > individually. There is no need for the pulley unless it is damaged.
> >
> > Mike
> > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> > Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> > Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
> > (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
> >

> > Scott in Baltimore wrote:
> > >
> > > Do a lot of you have/get squeaks on the idler pulley?
> > >
> > > Someone commented about using STP on an idler.
> > >
> > > My squeak comes and goes with the weather, and it's annoying!

--
Will Honea
Old February 28th 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Will Honea did pass the time by typing:
> All the ones I've seen have the ball bearings - jusr replaced one for
> my son last week. Damn things sure have gone up in price since I did
> the one on my MJ.

how much, if you don't mind.

About two years ago I paid about $18 for an idler at NAPA.

--
DougW

Old February 28th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:09:27 UTC "DougW"
> wrote:

> Will Honea did pass the time by typing:
> > All the ones I've seen have the ball bearings - jusr replaced one for
> > my son last week. Damn things sure have gone up in price since I did
> > the one on my MJ.

> how much, if you don't mind.
>
> About two years ago I paid about $18 for an idler at NAPA.

That's about what they dinged him for the idler. I got mine about 4
years ago for right at $10 - from the dealer yet!

Mike was talking about a bushing rather than a bearing setup - that I
have never seen. I just can't see how a bushing would hold up under
the lateral loading and rpm. I did notice that the original one on
the '88 had metal caps over the bearing while the new ones had a a
seal/cover that were a single piece of plastic.

--
Will Honea
Old February 28th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

You and Jeff Strickland swear by NAPA, it's a last resort for me as
everything is marked up by at least a factor of two. The only receipt I
have have handy is for the same Spicier Universal Joint for half their
price: http://www.billhughes.com/U-Joint.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old February 28th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Will Honea wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:09:27 UTC "DougW"
> > wrote:
>
> > Will Honea did pass the time by typing:
> > > All the ones I've seen have the ball bearings - jusr replaced one for
> > > my son last week. Damn things sure have gone up in price since I did
> > > the one on my MJ.

> > how much, if you don't mind.
> >
> > About two years ago I paid about $18 for an idler at NAPA.

> That's about what they dinged him for the idler. I got mine about 4
> years ago for right at $10 - from the dealer yet!
>
> Mike was talking about a bushing rather than a bearing setup - that I
> have never seen. I just can't see how a bushing would hold up under
> the lateral loading and rpm. I did notice that the original one on
> the '88 had metal caps over the bearing while the new ones had a a
> seal/cover that were a single piece of plastic.
>
> --
> Will Honea

Very strange....

I have changed a few including my 88's and they all were bushings. The
bushing has a big washer or metal cap over the end of it with a bolt
going through the middle. I had to buy all 3 pieces separately.....

I think I have one receipt for the bushing. If so it would be part
#33002201 bushing 24-025-026 and I had to special order it for $2.15.
The pulley would be part #53002905 pulley 07-004-001 and it cost me
$23.99.

I then realized when I got the old one off I also needed the bolt and
washer. Can't put my hands on that receipt...

This was back in 99.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's