96 High mounted stop lamp (center brake light)

Old March 15th 05, 02:49 AM
Ratbert

Default 96 High mounted stop lamp (center brake light)

The center brake light is burned out on my 96 Explorer. I went to a
parts store and asked for a bulb. They looked in a book (it wasn't on
their computer) and sold me one that seemed way too small for $1.60.
When I got home, and tried to change it, I realized that I couldn't get
to the bulb without cutting some rivets. At the same time, I determined
that the bulb I got is probably not the right one. I called the parts
counter at the local Ford dealer, and they told me that the light is
sold only as a unit, and it is about $250 for the part. Has anyone here
replaced or repaired the light any cheaper than that? Is there
something else I should check before shelling out big bucks for a new light?
Old March 15th 05, 09:52 AM
Just_Steve

Search Google Groups for "Third Brake Light on 97 Explorer questions". The
'96 uses the same type of system. Looks like you can get it for about $204
at www.fordpartsnetwork.com I've only ordered from them once myself, but
the order came quickly and as promised - no muss, no fuss, much better price
than the local dealers who all charge full list.

Steve

Old March 15th 05, 08:46 PM
lovs2fly

Sorry to say the cost is high. And beware this is a high voltage light.

Old March 15th 05, 09:31 PM
Davenandee

And by high voltage you mean?

Couldn't you just make an LED array?
Dave

--
Diving is life! The rest is just details.
W.W.W.I.

Old March 15th 05, 11:45 PM
Ratbert

Thanks for the tip. On fordpartsnetwork, they list a bulb under "High
mounted stop lamp" for $1.31. What's that?
By the way, fordpartsonline.com lists the High mount lamp for "only"
$182. That's still about $170 more than I'd like to pay to fix this.

Old March 16th 05, 02:25 AM
Fred 2

Your high mount brake light is a neon lamp and uses a high voltage
ballast. Not a common tungsten lamp. These were used on 95-97
Explorers.

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:45:00 GMT, Ratbert

Old March 16th 05, 02:26 AM
Fred 2

It's a "neon" lamp and uses a high voltage ballast. These were used on
95-97 Explorers

Old March 16th 05, 03:40 AM
Ratbert

Thanks. I got it. But what's the cheap bulb listed for sale on the
aforementioned parts web sites? Is it an error?

Old March 16th 05, 04:59 AM
Dave

Also, it can be that the ballast is bad. That happened on my '95. That
only cost $70 a few years back at Ford. You really want to diagnose the
problem before you spend the money for the bulb. It probably won't be
returnable.

Dave

Old March 16th 05, 05:23 AM
Fred 2

Don't know what thats all about. My '95 and '96 service manuals don't
show any type of cheap bulb for this neon high mounted stop lamp

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 02:40:24 GMT, Ratbert