Right outside mirror

Old July 12th 04, 08:27 PM
Graham

Default Right outside mirror

Just knocked the RH power mirror off my LS2 2000
when driving into the garage & getting distracted
momentarily. Been going in there in various cars for 45 years
without a mishap til now.
Anyway, it looked like the mirror was made to
pop off with little damage. The only damage was
to the plastic mounting plate on the car body.
Turns out that even though the mirror, casing & motors were sound
& controllable, with only a scrape mark on the paint.
the whole assembly had to be replaced at a cost of
CDN $300.

Old July 12th 04, 10:21 PM
richard hornsby

Graham wrote:
> Just knocked the RH power mirror off my LS2 2000
> when driving into the garage & getting distracted
> momentarily. Been going in there in various cars for 45 years
> without a mishap til now.
> Anyway, it looked like the mirror was made to
> pop off with little damage. The only damage was
> to the plastic mounting plate on the car body.
> Turns out that even though the mirror, casing & motors were sound
> & controllable, with only a scrape mark on the paint.
> the whole assembly had to be replaced at a cost of
> CDN $300.

ouch. 140$US for a power mirror on a 98SL2. I tried going around a
goof (two lanes, one usually had parked cars tho) riding his brakes
doing 15 in a 35 one morning (I was late) and clocked one of those big
green trashcans that was too close to the road with my passenger side
mirror. Left a permanent mark in the pass. side door glass.

The entire unit had to be replaced, even tho it was fine except for the
mirror housing's threaded plastic bolt mounting receptacles were snapped
- as it appeared to be designed to do to prevent serious damage to the
vehicle. Took about a 1/2 (.5) second to destroy, 5 minutes and 140$ to
replace. Figures.

-rj
98SL2
Old July 13th 04, 01:17 AM
Graham

Please tell me more about JB.
=======================

Old July 13th 04, 01:21 AM
Glomis

Graham:

You can get it at any Canadian Tire. Usually in the epoxy and adhesives
section. It's a really good all-purpose bonding agent.

Cheers!

Glomis

Old July 13th 04, 04:08 PM
Ron Herfurth

"Graham" > wrote in message
ogers.com...
> Just knocked the RH power mirror off my LS2 2000
> when driving into the garage & getting distracted
> momentarily. Been going in there in various cars for 45 years
> without a mishap til now.
> Anyway, it looked like the mirror was made to
> pop off with little damage. The only damage was
> to the plastic mounting plate on the car body.
> Turns out that even though the mirror, casing & motors were sound
> & controllable, with only a scrape mark on the paint.
> the whole assembly had to be replaced at a cost of
> CDN $300.

I used a friends mailbox to knock the right mirror off of my 94 SL1. The
plastic "box" that holds the mirror has (or "had" I should say) 3 studs that
hold it to the car. Most of the box broke off leaving the 3 studs on the
car. I glued a scrap of wood on the inside of the box across the opening
where the piece with the studs broke out, glued the piece with the studs on,
and then ran 2 small screws through the piece with the studs and the scrap
of wood. Yes, it was a real live pain to hold the little nuts and washers in
side the box but it's held for a couple of years now. Please don't knock on
wood, I don't know how much of a hard knock that little scrap of wood will
take.

ron

Old July 13th 04, 08:00 PM
Graham

Thanks, Glomis
Graham

Old July 15th 04, 04:13 AM
Bob Shuman

Replacement mirror is usually about $15 at the salvage (junk) yard.

Bob

Old July 15th 04, 02:07 PM
C. E. White

Graham wrote:

> Just knocked the RH power mirror off my LS2 2000
> when driving into the garage & getting distracted
> momentarily. Been going in there in various cars for 45 years
> without a mishap til now.
> Anyway, it looked like the mirror was made to
> pop off with little damage. The only damage was
> to the plastic mounting plate on the car body.
> Turns out that even though the mirror, casing & motors were sound
> & controllable, with only a scrape mark on the paint.
> the whole assembly had to be replaced at a cost of
> CDN $300.

When my Sister knocked the mirror off Her Escort, her comprehensive
glass coverage paid to have it replaced. THe agent told her to file the
claim under the glass coverage provision since the mirror is "glass."

Ed

TJ mirror loose Rich M Jeep 3 January 17th 05 05:00 AM
2002 Honda Odyssey Side View Mirror Switch Failure Hand Honda 15 December 4th 04 07:03 PM
300M mirror gone berserk Minnie Bannister Chrysler 1 November 18th 04 08:27 PM
Replacing mirror in 97 Stratus Tracey Chrysler 2 October 16th 04 03:48 PM