Help with Positive Ground issues

Old March 12th 04, 12:59 AM
thunderbeast

Default Help with Positive Ground issues

I just bought a 55 Nash Metropolitan. The reading I have done tells me that
it is a 12Volt electrical system with positive ground. I had a dead battery
this morning, and thought that with a car this old, and driven infrequently,
that a charge / jump unit with an on-board battery would be really handy. I
looked at a Coleman unit with an air compressor. Just to check first, I
opened the box at the store, found the manual (no mention of positive
ground) and the helpline number. I called them to ask about the use of this
product to jump a positive ground 12volt system.

Their response was no-way, no how. Can't use the product.

I bought a cheaper charger which I used to put a slow charge on the battery
(cables disconnected) though the user guide for it said I could use it on a
positive ground vehicle. It suggested connecting the negative terminal to
the battery and the positive terminal to the chassis (opposite of the
connection recommended for negative ground)

The battery charged, but I am still unclear about whether Coleman knew what
they were talking about.

If I have a dead 12 Volt battery, what are my options to get the car
started? Can I jump it from a negative ground 12Volt car? If I can do
that, why wouldn't the Coleman unit with a pre-charged battery work?

Need advice from someone who has been around this issue.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Old March 12th 04, 03:36 PM
Riteous Right Reverend Mahmoud Bin Changstein

You can jump a positive ground vehicle from any negative ground
vehicle or 12 volt source including the Coleman unit. Unless of course
its one of those plug into the lighter socket jobs in which case it
definately will not work. When jumping simply make certain that you
connect negative to negative and positive to positive.

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:59:47 -0800, "thunderbeast"

Old March 14th 04, 06:10 AM
Roy G. Bragg

Normally you would connect positive to positive and negative to negative,
but with positive ground cars this is reversed. I had a buddy in high
school that I used to jump his old Ford (positve ground) with my dad's Chevy
(negative ground). It worked just fine.
Roy
"Riteous Right Reverend Mahmoud Bin Changstein" > wrote in
message news

Old March 15th 04, 04:02 PM
Riteous Right Reverend Mahmoud Bin Changstein

Jumping a vehicle this way is a recipe for disaster. If it worked then
your buddy's Ford has been changed to negative ground also. Unless you
are willing to risk battery explosion and permanent damage to your
charging system do not connect a positive terminal to negative
....ever! Always go pos to pos and neg to neg and don't let the
vehicles touch each other.

Old March 28th 04, 07:49 AM
Roy G. Bragg

This was a 6 volt system, and this was used also on my uncle's Chrysler
(also 6 volt) without any problem.

Old March 28th 04, 07:51 AM
Roy G. Bragg

I should clarify my statement. I did hook positive to positive and negative
to negative. With positive ground, the positive battery post was hooked to
the ground, not the negative.

C-4 Ground Effects Art Corvette 2 October 17th 04 01:27 PM
Ground Point Locations for 1990 535i mark barron BMW 0 September 29th 04 02:31 AM
1996 Stratus Electrical Issues seeker2k Dodge 0 June 16th 04 08:23 PM
Current Issues Article Archive [AF] Abdulhafid Antique cars 0 October 12th 03 01:52 PM