Shakin' 98' Wrangler

Old October 3rd 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Rachel

Default Shakin' 98' Wrangler

I have a 98' Wrangler-manual. He has been pretty good to me thus far.
The only problem I have is when I go over 60 (and when I am aproaching
60) THe car begins to shake uncontrolably. It feels like a washing
machine out of rotation and it seems to be coming from the front center

of the Jeep. I know that Jeeps are loud and not the smoothest ride but

this not just the typical ride of the car.

Normally this would not be a problem but the 4.5 hr drive home from
college is sometimes unbareable. During the duration of this trip the
shaking doesn't occur as much once it is "warmed up". Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated!!
thanks

Old October 3rd 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Rusted[_1_]

Have the tires balanced. It is cheap to have checked and/or redone, and
is very likely the problem.

oups.com...

Old October 3rd 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

That is called the 'death wobble' and can literally shake you off the
road or snap something so you lose control.

Having the tires rotated will fast tell you if it is a bad tire in the
front, but I would be looking at the track bar bushings first.

That is the bar that goes from the driver's side frame down to the
passenger side axle. If you look under and have someone turn the
wheels, you can maybe see play in the bushing down at the axle. It is a
bit harder to see when the drivers side is bad, but if you look close
when someone turns the steering back and forth, you might see it.

If you sit in the drivers seat and get an eyeball on the ground in front
and turn the steering wheel a half turn each way, only the wheels should
turn. If you can see the nose of the Jeep move side to side compared to
the ground in the background, then the track bar is the problem.

You also have a steering stabilizer shock that can go bad, but it only
masks issues, it won't be the cause.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old October 3rd 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_5_]

They put the steering stabilizer on there for a reason. It can mask issues,
for sure, but I have seen vehicles where it is the only thing causing a
problem like this. If it is bad, it may be wet around where the shiny rod
goes into the cylinder.

Earle

Old October 3rd 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I guess I have my front end set up pretty good then... I recently
figured out my 'stabilizer' is nothing but a hollow tube with a rod
flopping around in it. I unhooked it to diagnose a steering jam I had
and realized this. It has never leaked a drop in the 10 years I have
owned it. LOL!

Her description sounds like a dead track bar though. If it was the
stabilizer, she would feel it more in the steering I would think.

Mike

Old October 3rd 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_5_]

Mine (on the YJ) was leaking, but still worked fine. The reason they
originally put them on, was that you could hit a bump "just right", and go
into death wobble. You will want to replace yours with a new shiny white or
red one, because they "look cool" in addition to whatever good they do.

Old October 3rd 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Does that mean if I just spray paint mine it will work better?

What are the colors in rank of 'superiority'?

om...

Old October 3rd 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Steve Foley[_1_]

Best to Worst....

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Lavinder
Indego
Violet

Old October 3rd 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

I wonder if they sell to decals with that pattern in San Francisco, South
Miami, and New York......

I would be concerned that would cause the Jeep to sway back and forth or
sashay....

Old October 4th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

billy billy billy, how shockingly unPC can you be <G>.

Jeff DeWitt (only thing PC about me runs Windows)

billy ray wrote:
> I wonder if they sell to decals with that pattern in San Francisco, South
> Miami, and New York......
>
> I would be concerned that would cause the Jeep to sway back and forth or
> sashay....
>

> "Steve Foley" > wrote in message
>
>>Best to Worst....
>>
>>Red
>>Orange
>>Yellow
>>Green
>>Blue
>>Lavinder
>>Indego
>>Violet
>>
>>"billy ray" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Does that mean if I just spray paint mine it will work better?
>>>
>>>What are the colors in rank of 'superiority'?

s.com...