Yorker running rough, ANY IDEAS? HELP!

Old July 18th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rcjesse

Default Yorker running rough, ANY IDEAS? HELP!

I recently dumped a can of fuel system cleanner on the gas tank to see if
the milage would improve, this was 3 days ago, today I started noticing that
my muffler did not sound even, it sounded as if a spark plug wire came off,
I checked them all, and they are all fine. It wont missfire when Im on the
freeway, it will even speed up to 80+ with no problem, but as soon as I come
to a stop and idle, I can feel a slight shake and the muffler missing a
beat, not smooth. Can this be as the result of the fuel system cleanner?
Please send me any other possibilities so I can check, hope is not my
engine, coz I dont see any smoke out of the muffler. Thanks.

Old July 18th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ken Weitzel

rcjesse wrote:
> I recently dumped a can of fuel system cleanner on the gas tank to see if
> the milage would improve, this was 3 days ago, today I started noticing that
> my muffler did not sound even, it sounded as if a spark plug wire came off,
> I checked them all, and they are all fine. It wont missfire when Im on the
> freeway, it will even speed up to 80+ with no problem, but as soon as I come
> to a stop and idle, I can feel a slight shake and the muffler missing a
> beat, not smooth. Can this be as the result of the fuel system cleanner?
> Please send me any other possibilities so I can check, hope is not my
> engine, coz I dont see any smoke out of the muffler. Thanks.

Hi rcjesse...

Not a mechanic, so take this with a grain of salt, but I experienced
the same thing a few years ago myself.

Dumped a bottle of cleaner in a perfectly operating Olds Regency 3.8
for no good reason at all. Turns out what it did was loosen up all
kinds of guck in the tank. Partially plugged up the filter, and
made it necessary to get the injectors cleaned.

Changed the filter and it got better, but never as good as it was
beforehand. Decided to trade it in rather than clean the injectors.

Hopefully others have better and more qualified help for you.

Take care.

Ken
Old July 18th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rcjesse

That is my fear, that something got stuck in the injectors, and will cost me
more than to buy another car. Its a 94, has 160K on it, but it looks nice
due time I spend polishing it and the wheels and tires I aquired for it. Oh
well, had it for 5 ys, so I wouldn't mind getting a different one. Thanks
for your advice.

Old July 18th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy

check engine lite on???

Old July 18th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

I did that to a intrepid once. But in fuel system cleaner, topped up tank
then let it sit for a week. Took it right away on a trip of 1700 miles. It
road fine till the first fill up. at 11:30 p.m in the middle of nowere
Montana. Then about 5 miles from filling up the engine kept stalling and
bucking occasionally. stalled about three times for about 10 miles. Then ran
a little rough. Stopped in Casper wyoming to have a dealer look at. they
hooked it up, and said there was nothing wrong except one sensor should a
slight varience in readings at one point. They sent me to a dealer in
cheyenne as they had the part in stock. I decided not to go as the car ran
fine after the second fill-up. So I think you will see a better improvement
after a few fillup. It is probably little gummy balls of sludge working
thru.
Old July 18th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rcjesse

No lights yet...

Old July 18th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

You do not provide engine or model year info, but based on what you say, I'd
recommend thoroughly cleaning the throttle body using Chrysler combustion
chamber cleaner or a good commercial throttle body cleaner, toothbrush, and
clean rags.

You also do not mention the brand or say what was in the fuel system
cleaner. I've personally stuck to Dupont Techron and generally had good
results. Good luck and post what you find.

Bob

Old July 19th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rcjesse

Thank you. Yes, I did mentioned it was a 94, with 160K, the engine is the
3.5 V6. Thanks agian.

"rcjesse" > wrote in message
> That is my fear, that something got stuck in the injectors, and will cost
> me more than to buy another car. Its a 94, has 160K on it, but it looks
> nice due time I spend polishing it and the wheels and tires I aquired for
> it. Oh well, had it for 5 ys, so I wouldn't mind getting a different one.
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> "Ken Weitzel" > wrote in message
>> rcjesse wrote:
>>> I recently dumped a can of fuel system cleanner on the gas tank to see
>>> if the milage would improve, this was 3 days ago, today I started
>>> noticing that my muffler did not sound even, it sounded as if a spark
>>> plug wire came off, I checked them all, and they are all fine. It wont
>>> missfire when Im on the freeway, it will even speed up to 80+ with no
>>> problem, but as soon as I come to a stop and idle, I can feel a slight
>>> shake and the muffler missing a beat, not smooth. Can this be as the
>>> result of the fuel system cleanner? Please send me any other
>>> possibilities so I can check, hope is not my engine, coz I dont see any
>>> smoke out of the muffler. Thanks.

>> Hi rcjesse...
>>
>> Not a mechanic, so take this with a grain of salt, but I experienced
>> the same thing a few years ago myself.
>>
>> Dumped a bottle of cleaner in a perfectly operating Olds Regency 3.8
>> for no good reason at all. Turns out what it did was loosen up all
>> kinds of guck in the tank. Partially plugged up the filter, and
>> made it necessary to get the injectors cleaned.
>>
>> Changed the filter and it got better, but never as good as it was
>> beforehand. Decided to trade it in rather than clean the injectors.
>>
>> Hopefully others have better and more qualified help for you.
>>
>> Take care.
>>
>> Ken

E36 318i, Running rough yvette dickerson BMW 2 January 6th 05 07:13 PM
running rough donsilsbee Dodge 0 October 25th 04 08:37 PM
93 Caravan running rough saabturbo Dodge 8 October 17th 04 04:28 AM
Rough running T T Lee Jordan Audi 2 August 1st 04 11:09 AM