Pinched at the Pump

Old July 16th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Chuck Whealton

Default Pinched at the Pump

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> http://ktla.trb.com/news/la-fi-gashu...newsspecial3-1
>
> >Pinched at the Pump
> >
> >High fuel prices are pushing some drivers to the financial brink-
> >and to the pawnshop for gas money. Low-wage earners are feeling
> >the most pain.
> >
> >By Elizabeth Douglass, Times Staff Writer
> >
> >July 16, 2006
> >
> >Stopping for gas on a recent evening commute, Joseph Godino
> >paused to make a call before feeding his credit card into the
> >pump's built-in reader.
> >
> >He listened as a recorded voice delivered welcome news: His
> >card still had $88 of credit available.
> >
> >The gas-up was a go.
> >
> >"I had to phone up to find out if I had enough credit on
> >there to fill up," said Godino, 58, whose workday round-trip
> >commute is a whopping 200 miles.

> 200 miles? That's ****ing INSANE! Clearly this guy has issues well
> beyond the price of gasoline...
>
> >"The gas is just really hurting me. I don't know what to do.... I
> >can't quit my job or I'd lose my house."
> >Godino, an Apple Valley resident whose truck driving job is based in
> >Buena Park, signed up for extra shifts and financial counseling, and
> >his wife went back to work to add income. But he has fallen further
> >behind. With his gas cards maxed out, Godino has switched to filling
> >his tank using a Visa card.

> Here's all the financial counseling you need: SELL the ****ing house
> and move to Texas, where gas is cheaper, housing is cheaper, and the
> cost of living is cheaper. Let's face it, you don't have sufficient
> marketable skills to be able to afford to live in SoCal. Sorry!
>
> The good news is, they need Truckers in Texas, too, the houses cost
> $100,000, and gas costs $2.99/gallon. So stop calling VISA and start
> calling Allied Van Lines.
>
> >California's sky-high gasoline prices are slamming Godino and other
> >motorists who had been barely getting by. Californians, saddled with
> >the nation's priciest gasoline outside of Hawaii, are paying more than
> >70 cents a gallon extra compared with a year ago and nearly $1 more
> >than two summers back.
> >
> >The wallop is worsened by interest rates that are at their highest
> >levels in more than five years, boosting adjustable-rate mortgages
> >and credit card bills and jacking up the minimum payments on most
> >credit cards.

> Really? Gee, I hadn't noticed. I guess that's because I pay my bill in
> full every month and never pay interest, let alone the minimum
> payment.
>
> >Economists largely have shrugged off the financial effect of higher
> >fuel costs on consumers. They say that gasoline demand and road
> >vacations continue to rise and that today's pump prices only recently
> >approached the record-high retail prices that forced drivers to pay
> >the inflation-adjusted equivalent of $3 a gallon for gas for a short
> >time in 1981.
> >
> >But as Godino's plight illustrates, the fiscal fallout already is
> [...]

I have to agree. Texas is much more reasonably priced than California.
Heck, even more reasonably priced than Arizona now is.

I'd probably suggest the same thing - get out of California. I mean
it's a nice place, but it's WAY too expensive.

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com