Check engine light

Old July 7th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

Default Check engine light

Hi All,

How do I turn off the check engine light? The car won't pass inspection
with it on. I tried disconnecting the battery but nothing happened. I
found sone on EBay here http://stores.ebay.com/OneSmartMove

Has anyone tried similar one?

Thanks,

Old July 7th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
damnnickname

fix the problem that is causing the lite to stay on!!!

Glenn beasley
Chrysler tech

Old July 10th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Omegasupreme

damnnickname wrote:
> fix the problem that is causing the lite to stay on!!!
>
> Glenn beasley
> Chrysler tech

One common problem with a check engine light is that its a bad or loose
gas cap try replaceing that or make sure its sealing tight. If its not
that then I supose you could depending on the make and year remove the
dash cover and disconnect the led to the check engine light light.

however in some cars this may afect the computer. if its an older style
one that has a light bulb behind it simpley take the bulb out or
disconnect the wires and reconnect them later. Like I said depending on
the year it can be 100% ok or may cause problems. I would disconnect it
drive the car for a bit and if you notice no problems get it inspected
the reconnect later.

THEN fix the problem thats causeing the light to come on.

I tend to avoid dealers like the plauge they over charge you for
everything and for the most part are a rip off. like $100 to change
spark plugs. Get MOPAR parts but do it yourself. The dealer shop is
evil I tell you evil......

oh Im rambleing

Starscream

Old July 10th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Omegasupreme wrote:

> ...I would disconnect it
> drive the car for a bit and if you notice no problems get it inspected
> the reconnect later.

Except if the shop is doing the inspection right, they will turn the key
to the run position without starting to check for the lights to come on.
If they don't see all the lights, they know it's either burnt out or
removed - then they inform you after-the-fact that they just put a
rejection sticker on your car.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old July 10th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mark

Try turning the ignition on and off 3 times to see if there are any codes;
otherwise, when you disconnect the battery to reset it make sure you leave
it disconnected long enough. I have had to leave mine disconnected for
several minutes for it to reset.

Mark

oups.com...

Old July 15th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Isaiah Beard

wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How do I turn off the check engine light? The car won't pass inspection
> with it on. I tried disconnecting the battery but nothing happened. I
> found sone on EBay here
http://stores.ebay.com/OneSmartMove

One other thing to note is that in many states, if you just disconnect
the battery to clear the code, the car STILL won't pass inspection.
When they hook up the scanner, the OBD diagnostics will report that it
has been reset and has not had enough operating hours to evaluate the
engine and emissions. That's an automatic fail, and you'll be told to
come back after the car's been running for a bit longer. Of course, if
the problem that threw the Check Engine Light on hasn't been fixed, then
by the time the car is ready to be inspected, your light will be on again.

The inspections are done for a reason. If there's a problem, then fix
it! Then your car should pass.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Old July 16th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Greg Houston

Bill Putney wrote:

> Omegasupreme wrote:
>
> > ...I would disconnect it
> > drive the car for a bit and if you notice no problems get it inspected
> > the reconnect later.

> Except if the shop is doing the inspection right, they will turn the key
> to the run position without starting to check for the lights to come on.
> If they don't see all the lights, they know it's either burnt out or
> removed - then they inform you after-the-fact that they just put a
> rejection sticker on your car.

Around here, they don't even bother looking at the light. The inspector
just plugs the inspection computer into your car's OBD II jack. Any codes
are downloaded, and if the car isn't ready to be tested (e.g. you just
disconnected the battery and not enough drive cycles have elapsed since),
you will have to come back later to complete the test. The test report
includes any trouble codes that have been set which are relevant to
emissions. This is the case for vehicles 'model years 94 or '96 and later.
Earlier vehicles get the standard tailpipe + dyno test at various power
settings.

If the light is on, there must be a code set. Find out what that code is,
and find out what needs to be done to fix it. If you're stuck, post the
code here. It might be a loose gas cap, it might be a simple oxygen sensor,
it might be a misfiring spark plug. Who knows until you get the code. Your
car will be better off if the problem can be resolved, regardless of the
emissions test. If you need help getting the code, post your vehicle model
and year here. Certain vehicles can display the code to you on their own,
and some stores, such as Autozone will obtain your diagnostic codes for no
charge.

Hope this helps.