Pedal cluster

Old July 6th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
zigford

Default Pedal cluster

Hey hey. I just recieved my "Heater channel replacement "Bug me
video". I am going to bring some vw's back to life.

The bug me video's show how to remove the pedal cluster for a US left
hand drive, which looks pretty simple.

However, living in Australia, I have right hand drive bugs.
Instead of relocating the accelerator cable in the tunnel, the pedal
cluster has a shaft which goes through the tunnel to the left hand side
and works as normal there.

I have taken out the master cylinder thingy and undone the bolts on the
pan and tunnel on the left hand side.

I have even removed the arm that holds the accelerator cable, but there
is still a plate that attaches to the shaft, which I need to remove and
I don't know how (Bang it harder?)

Anyways I guess its hard to imaging exactly what I'm talking about, but
if you have a left hand drive bug, you might know what I'm talking
about.

Cheers for any help.

Old July 6th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Remco[_1_]

zigford wrote:
> Hey hey. I just recieved my "Heater channel replacement "Bug me
> video". I am going to bring some vw's back to life.
>
> The bug me video's show how to remove the pedal cluster for a US left
> hand drive, which looks pretty simple.
>
> However, living in Australia, I have right hand drive bugs.
> Instead of relocating the accelerator cable in the tunnel, the pedal
> cluster has a shaft which goes through the tunnel to the left hand side
> and works as normal there.
>
> I have taken out the master cylinder thingy and undone the bolts on the
> pan and tunnel on the left hand side.
>
> I have even removed the arm that holds the accelerator cable, but there
> is still a plate that attaches to the shaft, which I need to remove and
> I don't know how (Bang it harder?)
>
> Anyways I guess its hard to imaging exactly what I'm talking about, but
> if you have a left hand drive bug, you might know what I'm talking
> about.
>
> Cheers for any help.

I don't even claim to know how to take a RHD cluster out, but was
curious exactly how it would work. Never gave it thought until just now
but figured they had different chassis, which I now see is not true.

Found some pictures that may come in handy to figure out how to take it
apart or for further discussion he
http://www.oldbeetle.com/pcat/T1_61.jpg
http://www.oldbeetle.com/pcat/T1_60.jpg
(the one of top seems to be LHD, the one on the bottom RHD)

It almost looks like there's a clip (18) that has to come off in order
to remove that accelerator arm (9).

Remco

Old July 6th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky

Ive done it on a 75 super RHD so should be about the same.

With the help of the info Remco (Hi Remco!) gave can you describe more what
wont budge and I'll see if I can remember

I didn't have any problems getting mine out. Back in was a different thing !

Make sure you have removed any circlips !

Rich

oups.com...

Old July 6th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
zigford

tricky wrote:
> With the help of the info Remco (Hi Remco!) gave can you describe more what
> wont budge and I'll see if I can remember

> Rich

Ok. Mine is a 63 beetle and it differs abit from the pictures, but is
fundamentally the same.

I will refer to the numbers in Remco's pictu
http://www.oldbeetle.com/pcat/T1_61.jpg

No. 18 does not exist. There was no circlip

The shaft on No. 16, is very long and extends all the way through the
pipe next to it (No number).

It appears that this pipe is stuck on the plate connected to the tunnel
(Although in my case it is loose from the tunnel - This plate has no
Number and is on the right of No. 27)

I have removed the accelarator arm (No. 9) but plate is still on there.
Am I trying to remove this from the wrong side? Should I try and take
all the pedals off?

Thanks for the assistance.

Old July 7th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Grahame Rumballe[_1_]

"zigford" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> tricky wrote:
> > With the help of the info Remco (Hi Remco!) gave can you describe more

what
> > wont budge and I'll see if I can remember

> > Rich

> Ok. Mine is a 63 beetle and it differs abit from the pictures, but is
> fundamentally the same.
>
> I will refer to the numbers in Remco's pictu
> http://www.oldbeetle.com/pcat/T1_61.jpg
>
> No. 18 does not exist. There was no circlip
>
> The shaft on No. 16, is very long and extends all the way through the
> pipe next to it (No number).
>
> It appears that this pipe is stuck on the plate connected to the tunnel
> (Although in my case it is loose from the tunnel - This plate has no
> Number and is on the right of No. 27)
>
> I have removed the accelarator arm (No. 9) but plate is still on there.
> Am I trying to remove this from the wrong side? Should I try and take
> all the pedals off?
>
> Thanks for the assistance.

Zigford,

The plate behind the arm(9) must come off - it's just stuck to the main
shaft.
Try some penetrating fluid and a bit more persuasion.

On some models there is a similar plate on the RHS of the tunnel, that
slips off vertically.

Grahame
from Australia

Old July 7th 06, 10:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky

"Grahame Rumballe" > wrote in
message ...

> "zigford" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> tricky wrote:
>> > With the help of the info Remco (Hi Remco!) gave can you describe more

> what
>> > wont budge and I'll see if I can remember

>> > Rich

>> Ok. Mine is a 63 beetle and it differs abit from the pictures, but is
>> fundamentally the same.
>>
>> I will refer to the numbers in Remco's pictu
>> http://www.oldbeetle.com/pcat/T1_61.jpg
>>
>> No. 18 does not exist. There was no circlip
>>
>> The shaft on No. 16, is very long and extends all the way through the
>> pipe next to it (No number).
>>
>> It appears that this pipe is stuck on the plate connected to the tunnel
>> (Although in my case it is loose from the tunnel - This plate has no
>> Number and is on the right of No. 27)
>>
>> I have removed the accelarator arm (No. 9) but plate is still on there.
>> Am I trying to remove this from the wrong side? Should I try and take
>> all the pedals off?
>>
>> Thanks for the assistance.
>>

> Zigford,
>
> The plate behind the arm(9) must come off - it's just stuck to the main
> shaft.
> Try some penetrating fluid and a bit more persuasion.
>
> On some models there is a similar plate on the RHS of the tunnel, that
> slips off vertically.
>
> Grahame
> from Australia

Yes, all bolts - both sides must come out and the plates must come off
before the whole pedal assembly can be taken out to the right.

What was holding the arm 9 in place, if there was no clip ? .
On picture 60 you can see that whel plate 30 is off, you can see clip 8.
plate 31 is the one Grahame mentioned that slide over the shaft from above.
Also braket 22 will hold the whole assembly on the right.
See clip 8 on the very rich too !

When you take the assembly apart, watch out for spring 14 - remember how it
goes back on before you take it off ! Everythin else should be obvious.

You still need to take the pedal cluster out as a whole as I remember.

All this is from memory only - someone please correct me if I got something
wrong.

Rich

Old July 8th 06, 11:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
zigford

Thanks all for your posts.

Grahame, I tried as you said and got it.

Abit of lube and some elbow greese and it popped right off.

Then I ran into another problem (Which I've already solved)

In the RHD version of the beetle the clutch cable is virtually
impossible to remove because a shaft running right through the tunnel
which prevents you from bringing the cluct cable out. Removing this
shaft is the key, shaft is held by a circlip.

Cheers