Power Steering Fluid vs Slick 50?

Old March 15th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Power Steering Fluid vs Slick 50?

Barbara Harris wrote:

> is it possible to substitute power steering fluid for a synthetic brand oil
> additive e.g., slick 50, prolong, duralube?
>
> Larry Von

I would say that if you HAVE to put some kind of crap in your oil, then
power steering fluid is a less damaging crap than slick 50, prolong, or
duralube.

Of course putting horse crap in the oil is probably less damaging than
slick 50, prolong, and duralube.... :-/

But why crap in the oil at all?
Old March 15th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Barbara Harris wrote:

> is it possible to substitute power steering fluid for a synthetic brand oil
> additive e.g., slick 50, prolong, duralube?

NO, NO, NO. You'll end up with ring wear from the PS fluid's detergent
washing away the varnish and then the oil from the cylinder walls.

Also stay away from Slick50, Prolong, Duralube, and anything else
marketed to morons who think that major brand motor oils lack additives
to protect their engines.

Old March 15th 06, 11:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Steve wrote:

> I would say that if you HAVE to put some kind of crap in your oil, then
> power steering fluid is a less damaging crap than slick 50, prolong, or
> duralube.

I don't mean to defend those additives, but they'll probably be less
harmful because most power steering fluids will put too much detergent
into the engine oil.