Miata Front License Plate holder

Old January 4th 05, 06:20 PM
Bitu

Default Miata Front License Plate holder

I personally believeall this crap is a matter of collecting more
revenue. Police officer operated speed traps are being replaced by
speed light cameras and red light cameras at an alarming rate.
If is as advertised this product called PHOTO BLOCKER SPRAY is our
salvation. They claim that it was tested by the media on their website
www.phantomplate.com On the videos it shows the police saying that it
really works by making your license plate invisible to traffic cameras.
Can anybody tell me if this is true?
www.photoblocker.com please let me know what you think.

Old January 4th 05, 09:08 PM
Jim

"Bitu" > wrote in
oups.com:

> I personally believeall this crap is a matter of collecting more
> revenue. Police officer operated speed traps are being replaced by
> speed light cameras and red light cameras at an alarming rate.
> If is as advertised this product called PHOTO BLOCKER SPRAY is our
> salvation. They claim that it was tested by the media on their website
> www.phantomplate.com On the videos it shows the police saying that it
> really works by making your license plate invisible to traffic
> cameras. Can anybody tell me if this is true?
> www.photoblocker.com please let me know what you think.

What do I think? Other than the fact that this is a shameless plug by
someone who stands to profit from this product, I think it's more likely
to be a Miata driver's death than "salvation". When people stop
stopping for red lights, the little guy gets squished and I can promise
you that in our litiguous society the manufacturer of this product will
be screwed when someone gets killed.

Old January 4th 05, 09:18 PM
Frank Berger

"Bitu" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I personally believeall this crap is a matter of collecting more
> revenue. Police officer operated speed traps are being replaced by
> speed light cameras and red light cameras at an alarming rate.
> If is as advertised this product called PHOTO BLOCKER SPRAY is our
> salvation. They claim that it was tested by the media on their website
> www.phantomplate.com On the videos it shows the police saying that it
> really works by making your license plate invisible to traffic cameras.
> Can anybody tell me if this is true?
> www.photoblocker.com please let me know what you think.

If true, it would be illegal, probably. In Texas it's illegal to obscure
your license plate in any way. Even the dealer-supplied license-plate
frames are technically illegal if they cover one iota of text, even if the
license # itself is not covered, though this isn't being rigidly enforced,
apparently. Even if the product "only" obscures the plate to cameras
(somehow), I imagine it would be illegal.

Do you think everyone should be able to speed and run red lights at will, or
only you, I wonder?

Old January 4th 05, 09:55 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-01-04, Frank Berger > wrote:

> If true, it would be illegal, probably.

Definitely. In any state that requires front license plates.

> In Texas it's illegal to obscure your license plate in any
> way. Even the dealer-supplied license-plate frames are
> technically illegal if they cover one iota of text, even if
> the license # itself is not covered, though this isn't being
> rigidly enforced, apparently. Even if the product "only"
> obscures the plate to cameras (somehow), I imagine it would be
> illegal.
>
> Do you think everyone should be able to speed and run red
> lights at will, or only you, I wonder?

I think every single intersection ought to have red-light
cameras. It's getting pretty bad when after you get a green
light, you've got to wait for 2-3 cars to run the red light
before you can enter the intersection.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. does your DRESSING
at ROOM have enough ASPARAGUS?
Old January 4th 05, 10:57 PM
Ken Lyons

"Grant Edwards" > wrote
> I think every single intersection ought to have red-light
> cameras.

Unfortunately, the Virginia legislature doesn't agree and has not renewed
the law allowing localities to use red light cameras. It seems they go out
of their way to irritate me.
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway in Virginia, "400 Years of History Unhampered by

Old January 5th 05, 12:07 AM
South Ocean Drive

"Alex Rodriguez" > wrote in message
> In article >, says...
>
> >I think every single intersection ought to have red-light
> >cameras. It's getting pretty bad when after you get a green
> >light, you've got to wait for 2-3 cars to run the red light
> >before you can enter the intersection.

> The proper solution is not a camera. A camera is not going to stop an
> accident from happening or call for help after an accident occurs. What
> needs to happen is that an engineer needs to examine the intersection and
> see why so many drivers are running red lights. He can then make
> recommendations on what modifications need to be made to the intersection
> to make it safer. That will also save a lot of money since accidents cost
> everyone one a lot of time and money.
> --------------
> Alex

Spoken like a typical 'cause-and-effect' pointy-headed engineering solution

Most people run red lights BECAUSE THEY CAN. Restriping the roadways,
inventing new traffic control devices, installing speed-bumps -- all address
the symptoms. The cause is almost always uniformly lax enforcement of
existing laws. Change the timing of the lights, provide a longer left turn
lead, build a fly-over -- none of these addresses the jerk in the Bimmer
that runs the light because he CAN.

And couple these jerks with service level F roadways -- and you've got a
recipe for virtual anarchy. "I've waited through three light changes.
There's no way I'm waiting through any more!"

Old January 5th 05, 02:00 AM
Leon van Dommelen

Alex Rodriguez > wrote:

>In article >, says...
>
>>I think every single intersection ought to have red-light
>>cameras. It's getting pretty bad when after you get a green
>>light, you've got to wait for 2-3 cars to run the red light
>>before you can enter the intersection.

>The proper solution is not a camera. A camera is not going to stop an
>accident from happening or call for help after an accident occurs.

True.

> What
>needs to happen is that an engineer needs to examine the intersection and
>see why so many drivers are running red lights.

What needs to happen that a psychologist examines the drivers and
determines what deters them from doing it.

> He can then make
>recommendations on what modifications need to be made to the intersection
>to make it safer.

Such as position a police car at it?

Red light running was *very bad* in Tallahassee. People would
shoot through as a matter of routine when the intersection traffic
was already moving. Sometimes even behind intersecting traffic.
At *every* intersection in town.

Then the police started enforcing the law. Maybe because the local
newspaper (we have only one) made too much noise. Anyway, we went
from "Everyone is doing it at every intersection every time..." to
"Is this guy going through a red light??"

> That will also save a lot of money since accidents cost
>everyone one a lot of time and money.

Not to mention lives. But to save these and the pot of money,
you have to address the actual problem, not a made-up one.

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old January 5th 05, 04:42 AM
Jerry

In some Texas towns the use of intersection decoys seem to fix the problem.
The local policing authority will park a patrol unit off to the side of the
intersection for a day or two with a Dummy positioned behind the wheel. From
time to time through out the day a real donut warrior will appear behind the
wheel of the cruiser and write a few tickets. After a couple of hours at
that intersection he or she will move to another, where a decoy has been
parked. Very effective.....The worst thing to happen so far is the kids are
putting donuts on the antennas of the cars. :-)

Jerry