leaks fixed

Old February 25th 10, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Default leaks fixed

hi,

i have been off list for awhile cause i have an issue with firefox and
a new wireless router which sends multiple requests which resmeble
some sort of bot and google groups wasnt letting me on. hopefully my
story will prevent someone else from making similar errors....

well, the leaks i had on a fresh motor in my 95 were due to:

- head: i re-used a head with ~20k miles on it after the rebuild and
thought that maybe the head was warped, so i had the spare head worked
on and while talking to the machinist was told that multi-layer
gaskets requires hi-tack. i did not know, and the instructions which
came with the h.g. did not metion that fact. so i had a fresh head,
gasket and sealer. much better but, first problem solved.

- valve cover gasket: i either killed a new gasket, got a bad one or
reused an old one. i swapped it out and still was leaky so, i got a
new gasket, big antifreeze leak appears.

- the small hose from the thermo which goes to the lower left side of
the motor, was touching the s/c belt...it did not like that. had to
order one and problem solved.

a trip to the car wash after each attempt to correct the leaks, was
getting expensive but proveded useful.

- still had a pretty good oil weep some place up high but could not
find it until the last trip to the car wash...bloody 710 cap, (oil
filler cap). made a rubber seal out of some 60mill sheet i had and
this slowed the weep so the gasket was shot. i thought of just
turning it around but it looks like the gasket is beveled so i used
the cap from the spare block/head i have.

(sidebar: block, (needs machining) and head, (with ~20 k), for sale in
CT together or seperate)

- that seemed to do the trick and swmbo got to drive her car again.
she complained of a sweet smell after returning from work...just as
she pulled into the gargage but at no other time, she said. i checked
te level in both the radiator and tank, both good so i figured it was
just some left over puddle which boiled off and left it at that
until...i drove the car. 25 miles no smell or steam, hours later, i
went to pick her up and was sitting in the rain when i saw an unusual
steam pattern rise up from the hood, popped the hood and smelled
sweetness. it seems to come from the lower front left side but in the
rain hard to say, will have to look closer if it ever stopps raining/
snowing here in CT. . also, it may just be residual, but there is
still a bit of oil in the plug wire galley...at least i am down to
weeps.

hth,
peter
Old February 26th 10, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

peter wrote:
> hi,
>
> i have been off list for awhile cause i have an issue with firefox and
> a new wireless router which sends multiple requests which resmeble
> some sort of bot and google groups wasnt letting me on. hopefully my
> story will prevent someone else from making similar errors....
>
> well, the leaks i had on a fresh motor in my 95 were due to:
>
> - head: i re-used a head with ~20k miles on it after the rebuild and
> thought that maybe the head was warped, so i had the spare head worked
> on and while talking to the machinist was told that multi-layer
> gaskets requires hi-tack. i did not know, and the instructions which
> came with the h.g. did not metion that fact. so i had a fresh head,
> gasket and sealer. much better but, first problem solved.
>
> - valve cover gasket: i either killed a new gasket, got a bad one or
> reused an old one. i swapped it out and still was leaky so, i got a
> new gasket, big antifreeze leak appears.
>
> - the small hose from the thermo which goes to the lower left side of
> the motor, was touching the s/c belt...it did not like that. had to
> order one and problem solved.
>
> a trip to the car wash after each attempt to correct the leaks, was
> getting expensive but proveded useful.
>
> - still had a pretty good oil weep some place up high but could not
> find it until the last trip to the car wash...bloody 710 cap, (oil
> filler cap). made a rubber seal out of some 60mill sheet i had and
> this slowed the weep so the gasket was shot. i thought of just
> turning it around but it looks like the gasket is beveled so i used
> the cap from the spare block/head i have.
>
> (sidebar: block, (needs machining) and head, (with ~20 k), for sale in
> CT together or seperate)
>

> - that seemed to do the trick and swmbo got to drive her car again.
> she complained of a sweet smell after returning from work...just as
> she pulled into the gargage but at no other time, she said. i checked
> te level in both the radiator and tank, both good so i figured it was
> just some left over puddle which boiled off and left it at that
> until...i drove the car. 25 miles no smell or steam, hours later, i
> went to pick her up and was sitting in the rain when i saw an unusual
> steam pattern rise up from the hood, popped the hood and smelled
> sweetness. it seems to come from the lower front left side but in the
> rain hard to say, will have to look closer if it ever stopps raining/
> snowing here in CT. . also, it may just be residual, but there is
> still a bit of oil in the plug wire galley...at least i am down to
> weeps.
>
> hth,
> peter

I have a few "weeps" to take care of myself, both on the Miata and on
the OTM. I may have some questions for you...........

Pat
Old March 1st 10, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

On Feb 25, 8:02*pm, pws > wrote:
> peter wrote:
> > hi,

> > i have been off list for awhile cause i have an issue with firefox and
> > a new wireless router which sends multiple requests which resmeble
> > some sort of bot and google groups wasnt letting me on. *hopefully my
> > story will prevent someone else from making similar errors....

> > well, the leaks i had on a fresh motor in my 95 were due to:

> > - head: *i re-used a head with ~20k miles on it after the rebuild and
> > thought that maybe the head was warped, so i had the spare head worked
> > on and while talking to the machinist was told that multi-layer
> > gaskets requires hi-tack. i did not know, and the instructions which
> > came with the h.g. did not metion that fact. so i had a fresh head,
> > gasket and sealer. *much better but, *first problem solved.

> > - valve cover gasket: *i either killed a new gasket, got a bad one or
> > reused an old one. *i swapped it out and still was leaky so, i got a
> > new gasket, *big antifreeze leak appears.

> > - the small hose from the thermo which goes to the lower left side of
> > the motor, was touching the s/c belt...it did not like that. *had to
> > order one and problem solved.

> > a trip to the car wash after each attempt to correct the leaks, was
> > getting expensive but proveded useful.

> > - still had a pretty good oil weep some place up high but could not
> > find it until the last trip to the car wash...bloody 710 cap, (oil
> > filler cap). * made a rubber seal out of some 60mill sheet i had and
> > this *slowed the weep so the gasket was shot. *i thought of just
> > turning it around but it looks like the gasket is beveled so i used
> > the cap from the spare block/head i have.

> > (sidebar: block, (needs machining) and head, (with ~20 k), for sale in
> > CT together or seperate)

> > - that seemed to do the trick and swmbo got to drive her car again.
> > she complained of a sweet smell after returning from work...just as
> > she pulled into the gargage but at no other time, she said. *i checked
> > te level in both the radiator and tank, both good so i figured it was
> > just some left over puddle which boiled off and left it at that
> > until...i drove the car. *25 miles no smell or steam, hours later, i
> > went to pick her up and was sitting in the rain when i saw an unusual
> > steam pattern rise up from the hood, *popped the hood and smelled
> > sweetness. *it seems to come from the lower front left side but in the
> > rain hard to say, will have to look closer if it ever stopps raining/
> > snowing here in CT. . *also, it may just be residual, but there is
> > still a bit of oil in the plug wire galley...at least i am down to
> > weeps.

> > hth,
> > peter

> I have a few "weeps" to take care of myself, both on the Miata and on
> the OTM. I may have some questions for you...........
>
> Pat

it is best to ping me off list...
i use google mail and
pmXicaza (remove the X) as username

94 Civic LX - Several Oil Leaks! Erik B Honda 3 February 3rd 08 06:58 PM
Oil and Leaks . . . /\\/\\ i k e Audi 6 October 8th 07 07:57 PM
Leaks nichdl1 BMW 1 May 25th 06 08:21 PM
gas guzzling and no leaks [email protected] Technology 0 February 1st 05 05:06 PM
header leaks HomeBrewer Jeep 5 December 21st 04 09:52 PM