Toyota stalling may be linked to on-board computers, electroniccontrol module

Old December 8th 09, 12:25 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_2_]

Default Toyota stalling may be linked to on-board computers, electroniccontrol module

dr_jeff wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> Vic Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I'm stilling driving a '90 Corsica 2.2 with TB. Just recently it's
>>> started bogging on heavy acceleration. Could be the TB, but likely
>>> just needs a plenum cleaning. I'm about to give it away or junk it,
>>> so I'll probably never find out.
>>> Drove a '85 Cav 2.0 with TB for years and never had a problem with the
>>> TB.

>> My 84 Cavalier was a pretty good car too. I could never understand how
>> it could get 27 MPG. All of my other cars since never get anything
>> above 21. Weird. The cost of parts for that Chevy a mind-blower too. I
>> could get repair parts so cheaply, you'd think they were stolen. How
>> often does that happen? :-)

> It happens every day. People take the cars and take them apart for the
> parts.

The parts I'm talking about weren't used - just the usual stuff you get
at NAPA. I did buy a front bumper and the those energy absorbing bumper
thingies from a junkyard though. My wife crashed into a car and pushed
it into another car. The Cavalier sustained minor damage. I was a bit
shocked to find that the G forces were enough to bent the filament
backwards on the bumper mounted lights. That was a pretty good bumper.

> With my car, I get around 35 mpg on the highway, depending on the
> weather. And how fast I drive.

Most anybody would get better MPG than me - I don't take long trips.

Old December 8th 09, 12:35 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
dr_jeff

dsi1 wrote:
> dr_jeff wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> My 84 Cavalier was a pretty good car too. I could never understand
>>> how it could get 27 MPG. All of my other cars since never get
>>> anything above 21. Weird. The cost of parts for that Chevy a
>>> mind-blower too. I could get repair parts so cheaply, you'd think
>>> they were stolen. How often does that happen? :-)

>> It happens every day. People take the cars and take them apart for the
>> parts.

> The parts I'm talking about weren't used - just the usual stuff you get
> at NAPA. I did buy a front bumper and the those energy absorbing bumper
> thingies from a junkyard though. My wife crashed into a car and pushed
> it into another car. The Cavalier sustained minor damage. I was a bit
> shocked to find that the G forces were enough to bent the filament
> backwards on the bumper mounted lights. That was a pretty good bumper.

Yeah, I know. I just left off the sarcasm marks. Couldn't resist. ;-)

Old December 8th 09, 01:04 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_2_]

dr_jeff wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> dr_jeff wrote:

>>> It happens every day. People take the cars and take them apart for
>>> the parts.

>> The parts I'm talking about weren't used - just the usual stuff you
>> get at NAPA. I did buy a front bumper and the those energy absorbing
>> bumper thingies from a junkyard though. My wife crashed into a car and
>> pushed it into another car. The Cavalier sustained minor damage. I was
>> a bit shocked to find that the G forces were enough to bent the
>> filament backwards on the bumper mounted lights. That was a pretty
>> good bumper.

> Yeah, I know. I just left off the sarcasm marks. Couldn't resist. ;-)

Well, that's my fault - I tend to take things literally. That's the
breaks. :-)

Old December 8th 09, 01:23 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.trucks
hls

"dr_jeff" > wrote in message news:EPKdnV-
> They used more fuel than was needed.

The question was "why".

And the answer is complicated.
You can do a lot with carburetors, but you cant get the instantaneous
corrections
on many levels that you can get with computerized fuel injection.

In addition, the engine, transmission, etc all have to be working together
to get
the best mileage, a feat that was not normally common to simple carbureted
systems.

Old December 8th 09, 01:38 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.trucks
Tegger[_2_]

dr_jeff > wrote in
:

> Yet, while the pedal traditionally operates the throttle, for many
> years, the engines have still be controlled by a computer. So,
> controlling one other thing is not such a big deal.

The throttle chokes off the air to the engine. If there is no air, the
engine can't make power, no matter what else happens.

If you entrust air delivery to the computer and something goes wrong and
excessive air is admitted, all the other inputs will adjust to suit so that
the mixture remains correct. That means more power when power is not
wanted.

A simple cable connection is the safest and most reliable way to control
the power of any road-going automobile engine. Don't want power? Take your
foot off the gas.

And I don't care if airplanes have had wire-everything for the last 50-
years or whatever. Road-going passenger cars are given none of the sort of
scrutiny and highly-competent maintenance and inspection that airplanes are
given regularly.

--
Tegger