Ford to tntroduce new compacts next week

Old December 2nd 09, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default Ford to tntroduce new compacts next week

http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?sid=572279
cuhulin

Old December 2nd 09, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
phaeton

On Dec 2, 7:41*am, wrote:
> http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?sid=572279
> cuhulin

Call me a communist, but I think that a lot of the cars in Europe
(including ones made or partnered by our domestic automakers) are
kinda neat.

-J
Old December 2nd 09, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I like the looks of the Ford Transit van.I am hanging on to my big old
1978 Dodge van and my 1983 Dodge van though.
cuhulin

Old December 2nd 09, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"phaeton" > wrote in message
On Dec 2, 7:41 am, wrote:
> http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?sid=572279
> cuhulin

Call me a communist, but I think that a lot of the cars in Europe
(including ones made or partnered by our domestic automakers) are
kinda neat.

*******
I agree with you. The Chevrolet Impala (new) and the older Ford 500 (now a
freaking
Taurus) have some clean lines.

Old December 2nd 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
M.M.

phaeton wrote:
> On Dec 2, 7:41 am, wrote:
>> http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?sid=572279
>> cuhulin

> Call me a communist, but I think that a lot of the cars in Europe
> (including ones made or partnered by our domestic automakers) are
> kinda neat.
>
> -J

Why, pray tell, would that make you a communist?
Old December 2nd 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

phaeton > wrote in news:b05dac3a-bc71-4882-b3c8-
:

> On Dec 2, 7:41*am, wrote:

http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?sid=572279
>> cuhulin

> Call me a communist, but I think that a lot of the cars in Europe
> (including ones made or partnered by our domestic automakers) are
> kinda neat.

I recently read in Forbes magazine (in Steve Forbes's own column) that
foreign-built cars don't count towards American automakers' CAFE numbers.
If they did, you'd probably find more of those European cars making it over
here under domestic brand names.

--
Tegger

Old December 3rd 09, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
phaeton

On Dec 2, 1:31*pm, "M.M." > wrote:
> phaeton wrote:
> > On Dec 2, 7:41 am, wrote:
> >>http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?sid=572279
> >> cuhulin

> > Call me a communist, but I think that a lot of the cars in Europe
> > (including ones made or partnered by our domestic automakers) are
> > kinda neat.

> > -J

> Why, pray tell, would that make you a communist?

My bad, It won't make me a communist. I'm overreacting to something
else, that had nothing to do with this ng or anyone in it.

But I'd love something like this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3125/...e2f8ab277d.jpg

-J
Old December 3rd 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> phaeton > wrote in
> :

> I recently read in Forbes magazine (in Steve Forbes's own column)
> that
> foreign-built cars don't count towards American automakers' CAFE
> numbers.
> If they did, you'd probably find more of those European cars making
> it over
> here under domestic brand names.

They do if they are built Canada and Mexico. [Forgive me for
implying that people who live in Canada and Mexico aren't Americans.
Since both Mexico and Canada are part of the American contient,
citizens of those two countries (and all of Central and South America)
can call themselves "Americans." However, I am sure that you meant USA
based car makers.]

Ford cars imported from Europe, or Toyota cars imported from Japan go
into a different pools of vehicles from domestic cars for calculating
CAFE numbers. I saw a few years back that Nissan asked that some
import and domestically built models to be counted together but I
don't recall the details or the outcome.

Fords or Toyotas built in Canada and Mexico may be counted as
domestic vehicles.

From
http://www.aiam.org/public/aiam/medi...s.aspx?PRID=75

"Under current law, manufacturers must divide their fleets of vehicles
into two sub-fleets, based on the domestic content levels of those
fleets. See 49 U.S.C. 32904(b). This requirement divides fleets using
a 75 percent domestic content criterion, with each sub-fleet (vehicles
having high U.S. content and those with low U.S. content levels) being
treated as if produced by separate companies for standards compliance
purposes. The requirement was originally intended (as part of the
original CAFE statute) to assure that U.S.-based companies did not
simply import large numbers of fuel-efficient vehicles from overseas
in order to comply with standards. However, recent years� experience
has shown that the principal effect of the provision has been to act
as a disincentive to increasing U.S. parts content for foreign-based
companies and to encourage U.S. companies to reduce the U.S. content
of their less fuel-efficient models."

Read the actual law at
http://vlex.com/vid/sec-calculation-...onomy-19259510 .
Let me know if you understand it all...

"....In this subsection, a passenger automobile is deemed to be
manufactured domestically in a model year, as provided in subparagraph
(B) of this paragraph, if at least 75 percent of the cost to the
manufacturer is attributable to value added in the United States,
Canada, or Mexico, unless the assembly of the automobile is completed
in Canada or Mexico and the automobile is imported into the United
States more than 30 days after the end of the model year. (B)
Subparagraph (A) of this paragraph applies to automobiles manufactured
by a manufacturer and sold in the United States, regardless of the
place of assembly, as follows: (i) A manufacturer that began
assembling automobiles in Mexico before model year 1992 may elect,
during the period from January 1, 1997, through January 1, 2004, to
have subparagraph (A) of this paragraph apply to all automobiles
manufactured by that manufacturer beginning with the model year that
begins after the date of the election. (ii) For a manufacturer that
began assembling automobiles in Mexico after model year 1991,
subparagraph (A) of this paragraph applies to all automobiles
manufactured by that manufacturer beginning with the model year that
begins after January 1, 1994, or the model year beginning after the
date the manufacturer begins assembling automobiles in Mexico,
whichever is later. (iii) A manufacturer not described in clause (i)
or (ii) of this subparagraph that assembles automobiles in the United
States or Canada, but not in Mexico, may elect, during the period from
January 1, 1997, through January 1, 2004, to have subparagraph (A) of
this paragraph apply to all automobiles manufactured by that
manufacturer beginning with the model year that begins after the date
of the election...."

To many ands, ifs, or ors for me...

Ed

Old December 4th 09, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

"C. E. White" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> phaeton > wrote in
>> :

>> I recently read in Forbes magazine (in Steve Forbes's own column)
>> that
>> foreign-built cars don't count towards American automakers' CAFE
>> numbers.
>> If they did, you'd probably find more of those European cars making
>> it over
>> here under domestic brand names.

> They do if they are built Canada and Mexico. [Forgive me for
> implying that people who live in Canada and Mexico aren't Americans.

For the purposes of auto manufacture, Canada hasn't been considered
"foreign" since the Auto Pact of 1965. Prior to that, it was another
story indeed.

> From
http://www.aiam.org/public/aiam/medi...s.aspx?PRID=75

> "Under current law,

Blah, blah, mumble, blah, bull****, backscratching, union-pleasing, more
blah. Jeez. How can anybody be a politician or government bureaucrat and
be able to sleep at night knowing the sort of **** they do?

> To many ands, ifs, or ors for me...

When a government's employees have power, that power will be used and
abused by all who stand to gain from the manipulation of that power.

--
Tegger

How Would You Like To Become A MILLIONAIRE In Just A Few WEEK!!! [email protected] Technology 0 March 10th 08 06:04 PM
Bad week John Bradley Auto Photos 7 February 27th 08 03:09 AM
TLC week for 93 ZJ Curtis Jeep 2 June 20th 06 12:43 AM
This Week On Motorweek... Mustang GT and Ford GT!! [email protected] Ford Mustang 4 September 1st 05 11:37 AM
LFS S2 next week? Fillyourboots Simulators 1 October 26th 04 11:52 PM