1999 JCS Engine Misfires in Reverse

Old September 22nd 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PhilsTV[_1_]

Default 1999 JCS Engine Misfires in Reverse

Cylinder #1 floods when it's put in reverse. Hesitates occasionally in
drive.
ECM was replaced, same problem
Any ideas?

Old September 22nd 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

What engine?

I would be looking for a harness that was too close to the exhaust or
was really tight I think. When you put it in reverse, the engine moves
which could cause a harness to hit the exhaust or be pulled on even,
especially if you had a weak engine mount.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 22nd 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Perhaps a leaking injector? You say it only leaks in reverse?

lkaboutautos.com...

Old September 23rd 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike

"PhilsTV" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Cylinder #1 floods when it's put in reverse. Hesitates occasionally in
> drive.
> ECM was replaced, same problem
> Any ideas?

The injectors have power applied all the time with the key on. The ECM
controls the ground to the injectors. Follow the ground wire from the #1
injector back to the ECM. Wire should be White/ Dk Blue. Look for the wiring
harness being pinched/chafed when vehicle is put into reverse. The ground
wire is most likely being shorted to ground which causes the injector to
stay open.

Old September 23rd 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

It's a 99 Jeep Cherokee Sport so probably the 4.0

Calr

Old September 24th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PhilsTV

The engine is a 4.0

Old October 10th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PhilsTV

The mechanic that replaced the ECM, replaced the White/Blue wire from the
socket to the injector back the the socket for the ECM and all is well so
far. It's been two weeks and seems to work great.

Thanks for your help.

Phil