Aura XR V-6 Oil change question

Old December 1st 09, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jack Mack

Default Aura XR V-6 Oil change question

I just bought an Aura XR V-6 and am already thinking ahead to the
first
oil change. Looking under the hood, it looks like the only way to get
the
oil filter off is to remove the air cleaner to intake manifold plastic
snorkel, unless
there is another way to get at it, like from underneath, but it
doesn't look like that's
possible in a driveway.

Am I right or do I need to look at this again?

Thanks

Old December 2nd 09, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Jack Mack" > wrote in message
>I just bought an Aura XR V-6 and am already thinking ahead to the
> first
> oil change. Looking under the hood, it looks like the only way to get
> the
> oil filter off is to remove the air cleaner to intake manifold plastic
> snorkel, unless
> there is another way to get at it, like from underneath, but it
> doesn't look like that's
> possible in a driveway.
>
> Am I right or do I need to look at this again?
>

> Thanks

Im going to have to find out what an Aura is ;>)

Old December 2nd 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_2_]

hls wrote:

> "Jack Mack" > wrote in message
>> I just bought an Aura XR V-6 and am already thinking ahead to the
>> first
>> oil change. Looking under the hood, it looks like the only way to get
>> the
>> oil filter off is to remove the air cleaner to intake manifold plastic
>> snorkel, unless
>> there is another way to get at it, like from underneath, but it
>> doesn't look like that's
>> possible in a driveway.
>>
>> Am I right or do I need to look at this again?
>>

>> Thanks

> Im going to have to find out what an Aura is ;>)

More like what an Aura was. :-)
Old December 2nd 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"dsi1" > wrote in message news:74kRm.35722

>> Im going to have to find out what an Aura is ;>)

> More like what an Aura was. :-)

ROTFLMAO....exactly...now I know ;>)
Saturn doesnt run rings around much these days, does it
Old December 3rd 09, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jack Mack

On Dec 1, 9:45*pm, "hls" > wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message news:74kRm.35722
>
> >> Im going to have to find out what an Aura is ;>)

> > More like what an Aura was. :-)

> ROTFLMAO....exactly...now I know ;>)
> Saturn doesnt run rings around much these days, does it

Thanks so much for all the helpful posts.
Old December 3rd 09, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"jack mack" > wrote in message
On Dec 1, 9:45 pm, "hls" > wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message news:74kRm.35722
>
> >> Im going to have to find out what an Aura is ;>)

> > More like what an Aura was. :-)

> ROTFLMAO....exactly...now I know ;>)
> Saturn doesnt run rings around much these days, does it

Thanks so much for all the helpful posts.

*********
Sorry we got off into this dialogue.
Maybe you can find a manual for this vehicle at the auto parts store or at
your
local library.
I tried to look it up in the Autozone repair guides, but they dont have this
car in their files.

Old December 3rd 09, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"hls" > wrote in message

> "jack mack" > wrote in message
> On Dec 1, 9:45 pm, "hls" > wrote:
>> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>> > More like what an Aura was. :-)

>> ROTFLMAO....exactly...now I know ;>)
>> Saturn doesnt run rings around much these days, does it

> Thanks so much for all the helpful posts.
>
> *********
> Sorry we got off into this dialogue.
> Maybe you can find a manual for this vehicle at the auto parts store or at
> your
> local library.
> I tried to look it up in the Autozone repair guides, but they dont have
> this
> car in their files.

I looked at some supplier sites and found that the V6 uses a standard spin
on
filter. There were some 4 cyl engines that apparently used a replaceable
cartridge
type filter.

I did read the the filter on the 4 cyl is accessed from the top of the
engine,but
dont know about the V6. Since it is a spin-on it shouldnt be a big trick to
spot
it, although you may have to crawl under the vehicle.

Sorry

Old December 3rd 09, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Harry Face

Jackie Mack,

Chances are the oil filter is accessed from underneath the vehicle. I
haven't been able to remove an oil filter from the top side since I got
rid of my 68 Buick.

If its a typical AC Filter, it should look like a blue can.

Good Luck, and watch out for oil running all over the place if the oil
flow path is obstructed by a frame rail.

harryface
91 Bonneville 320,747
05 Park Avenue 92,656

Old December 3rd 09, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jack Mack

On Dec 3, 11:23*am, (Harry Face) wrote:
> Jackie Mack,
>
> Chances are the oil filter is accessed from underneath the vehicle. *I
> haven't been able to remove an oil filter from the top side since I got
> rid of my 68 Buick.
>
> If its a typical AC Filter, it should look like *a blue can.
>
> Good Luck, and watch out for oil running all over the place if the oil
> flow path is obstructed by a frame rail.
>
> harryface
> 91 Bonneville 320,747
> 05 Park Avenue 92,656

Thanks all....I've been changing oil now on my cars for close to 25
years. I've never had to remove any engine
component to reach an OF. There is no Haynes or Chilton's manual out
on this car since the first Aura came out in 07.
The owner's manual never tells you how to access an oil filter, but
usually it tells you which one your car takes
dittow for spark plugs and Air Filter and this manual does not, even
in the specs section. No biggie since I've already
looked both up in the AP store.

The reason I asked this question is just to find out if anyone who has
this car with the V-6 is removing the filter
from the top given how high it sits on the engine block. This would
require removing the air cleaner snorkel.

Aura XR V-6 Oil change question Tegger[_2_] Technology 0 December 2nd 09 01:36 AM
New Civic Oil Change Question Wayne[_7_] Honda 6 September 10th 08 05:13 AM
Question about Aura [email protected] Saturn 2 April 4th 07 04:33 PM
ATF / Oil Change Question jaco Jeep 1 September 18th 05 07:15 PM
slightly different oil-change question steve eddy Honda 9 December 13th 04 10:59 PM