Interior Ventilation

Old September 10th 06, 01:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
jores59

Default Interior Ventilation

I own a 1999 323i and the interior windows/glass of the car fogs up
something awful. Far worse than one would think to be 'normal'.
The defrost, particularly in winter or when raining (I live in
Massachusetts) cannot even do an adequate job of keeping the windows
totally clear. I have not had it checked out, but I believe it began
after I had the windshield replaced a few years back, though I cannot
be totally certain. (I can also mention that the headlight lamps also
fog up some though I find it difficult to believe that this is
connected.) It only has 30K miles and I plan to sell it, but would
like this problem fixed first. Still, don't feel like bringing it to
BMW dealer or repair unless I have some insight to what the problem
might be. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old September 10th 06, 02:26 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"jores59" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I own a 1999 323i and the interior windows/glass of the car fogs up
> something awful. Far worse than one would think to be 'normal'.
> The defrost, particularly in winter or when raining (I live in
> Massachusetts) cannot even do an adequate job of keeping the windows
> totally clear. I have not had it checked out, but I believe it began
> after I had the windshield replaced a few years back, though I cannot
> be totally certain. (I can also mention that the headlight lamps also
> fog up some though I find it difficult to believe that this is
> connected.) It only has 30K miles and I plan to sell it, but would
> like this problem fixed first. Still, don't feel like bringing it to
> BMW dealer or repair unless I have some insight to what the problem
> might be. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Put the AC on.

Old September 10th 06, 05:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Richard Sexton

In article . com>,
jores59 > wrote:
>I own a 1999 323i and the interior windows/glass of the car fogs up
>something awful. Far worse than one would think to be 'normal'.
>The defrost, particularly in winter or when raining (I live in
>Massachusetts) cannot even do an adequate job of keeping the windows
>totally clear. I have not had it checked out, but I believe it began
>after I had the windshield replaced a few years back, though I cannot
>be totally certain. (I can also mention that the headlight lamps also
>fog up some though I find it difficult to believe that this is
>connected.) It only has 30K miles and I plan to sell it, but would
>like this problem fixed first. Still, don't feel like bringing it to
>BMW dealer or repair unless I have some insight to what the problem
>might be. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Your car is haunted.

(Rain-X makes a product that supposedly eliminated fogging I've never
tried it. Have you tried having a window open a crack?)

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old September 10th 06, 10:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com>,
jores59 > wrote:
> own a 1999 323i and the interior windows/glass of the car fogs up
> something awful. Far worse than one would think to be 'normal'.
> The defrost, particularly in winter or when raining (I live in
> Massachusetts) cannot even do an adequate job of keeping the windows
> totally clear. I have not had it checked out, but I believe it began
> after I had the windshield replaced a few years back, though I cannot
> be totally certain.

Sounds like water is getting into the car. Lift carpets and check the
floor. Do the same in the boot.

--
*Procrastinate now

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old September 11th 06, 12:40 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Wm. B.

Make sure the ventilation system isn't in Recirc mode.

Old September 12th 06, 01:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
DG888

Biker Geek wrote:
> On 10 Sep 2006 05:45:09 -0700, jores59 > wrote:
> > I own a 1999 323i and the interior windows/glass of the car fogs up
> > something awful.

> When was the last time you cleaned the insides of the windows?
> Outgassing from interior plastics deposits gunk on the insides of
> the windows, and that makes it easier for fog to form by
> providing nucleation sites for condensing water vapor. It's
> worst in new cars but it happens to older ones too.
>
> --
> Bill D. >

I second Bill's opinion. Same thing happens in my car if i do not
clean the windshield from the inside properly.