Stalls after fixed time - second go 'round

Old June 11th 05, 04:20 AM
Tom Del Rosso

"Winston" > wrote in message

> This sounds like an ignitor bug, but we need more info.
> Looking forward to the results of your 'timing light' test, Tom.

Oh well, it's back to intermittent. Today was cooler and the mechanic said
it started right up. I let him drive it home so he could have it long
enough to make it stall.

There is no longer any doubt that it is a fuel problem and not ignition.
Ever hear of a brand new fuel pump that stops after running for a while, or
when it's over 80 degrees?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.

Old June 11th 05, 07:24 AM
Winston

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> "Winston" > wrote in message
>
>>This sounds like an ignitor bug, but we need more info.
>>Looking forward to the results of your 'timing light' test, Tom.

> Oh well, it's back to intermittent. Today was cooler and the mechanic said
> it started right up. I let him drive it home so he could have it long
> enough to make it stall.
>
> There is no longer any doubt that it is a fuel problem and not ignition.
> Ever hear of a brand new fuel pump that stops after running for a while, or
> when it's over 80 degrees?

Not I.

Good work with the starting fluid! That's troubleshooting!

> Tuesday night I had it towed back to the shop that replaced the fuel pump
> just days before this problem started.

Ah! Looks like I forgot to ask 'what happened just before the symptom
appeared?'. Sounds like you have some gunk in the fuel line that expands
with temperature, cutting off fuel.

Or something.

How's your fuel filter look, hmmm?

--Winston
Old June 12th 05, 02:42 AM
Daniel J. Stern

I'm beginning to wonder about a potentially flaky injector.

Old June 13th 05, 02:10 AM
Tom Del Rosso

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
.umich.edu...

> I'm beginning to wonder about a potentially flaky injector.

The fuel pump and filter were replaced for $605, and a week later the Hall
effect sensor for $180.

My mechanic offered to put the old Hall effect switch back in and refund
that, but I'm worried that the old pump might have been good too. He
determined the pump was bad because it had voltage at its terminals but
there was no fuel pressure. An injector didn't cause that, but is it
possible there could be a blockage that is temperature sensitive?

Old June 13th 05, 02:58 AM
Winston

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
> .umich.edu...
>
>>I'm beginning to wonder about a potentially flaky injector.

> The fuel pump and filter were replaced for $605,

Quoting you 6/5 at 9:03 PM:
> "When replacing the pump he checked the filter,
> then after a few days I noticed this behavior."

Gas filter was *checked?* How?
A flow test outside the car?
Did your mechanic *replace* the filter after checking it?

Or not?

> An injector didn't cause that, but is it
> possible there could be a blockage that is temperature sensitive?

Could be.
The most logical place for that to happen is the fuel filter, no?

--Winston
Old June 13th 05, 11:31 AM
Tom Del Rosso

"Winston" > wrote in message

> Quoting you 6/5 at 9:03 PM:
> > "When replacing the pump he checked the filter,
> > then after a few days I noticed this behavior."

> Gas filter was *checked?* How?
> A flow test outside the car?
> Did your mechanic *replace* the filter after checking it?

He did replace the filter. I forgot that until I referred back to the
invoice. So it's not the filter either. Can the intake in the tank get
clogged, or the line before the filter?

Old June 13th 05, 03:56 PM
Bruce Chang

"Tom Del Rosso" > wrote in message
> "Winston" > wrote in message
>>
>> Quoting you 6/5 at 9:03 PM:
>> > "When replacing the pump he checked the filter,
>> > then after a few days I noticed this behavior."

>> Gas filter was *checked?* How?
>> A flow test outside the car?
>> Did your mechanic *replace* the filter after checking it?

> He did replace the filter. I forgot that until I referred back to the
> invoice. So it's not the filter either. Can the intake in the tank get
> clogged, or the line before the filter?

Replacement parts can be bad too.

-Bruce

Old June 13th 05, 04:25 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Tom Del Rosso wrote:

> > I'm beginning to wonder about a potentially flaky injector.

> The fuel pump and filter were replaced for $605, and a week later the Hall
> effect sensor for $180.

From where I sit, you are being rather grossly overcharged.

> My mechanic offered to put the old Hall effect switch back in and refund
> that, but I'm worried that the old pump might have been good too.

Same here. It sounds as if he is using the "shotgun" approach rather than
properly diagnosing the fault.

I'm still wondering about a potentially flaky injector, but as with all
the other responses you've gotten, this is just conjecture. The only sure
way to find and fix the fault is to get the car to a competent
diagnostician.

Old June 13th 05, 10:53 PM
Tom Del Rosso

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>
> > The fuel pump and filter were replaced for $605, and a week later the

Hall
> > effect sensor for $180.

> From where I sit, you are being rather grossly overcharged.

Here are the items before tax.

$268.90 fuel pump
$32.70 filter
$210 labor (drop the tank, etc)
$45 tow

$78.90 Hall effect sensor:
$75 labor

> > My mechanic offered to put the old Hall effect switch back in and refund
> > that, but I'm worried that the old pump might have been good too.

> Same here. It sounds as if he is using the "shotgun" approach rather than
> properly diagnosing the fault.
>
> I'm still wondering about a potentially flaky injector, but as with all
> the other responses you've gotten, this is just conjecture. The only sure
> way to find and fix the fault is to get the car to a competent
> diagnostician.

Before the new pump, he said there was no fuel pressure.

Old June 14th 05, 03:20 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Tom Del Rosso wrote:

> $268.90 fuel pump
> $32.70 filter
> $210 labor (drop the tank, etc)
> $45 tow

H'mm...nothing too terribly grossly out of line here, I don't suppose. I
might quibble with $210 worth of labor, but I don't have a flat-rate book
in front of me and I don't know your guy's labor rate, either.

> $78.90 Hall effect sensor:
> $75 labor

TILT. That is a $30 to $40 part that takes all of 10 minutes to install.
Let's assume he's really slow and give him 30 minutes. That makes his
labor rate about $157/hr. Bzzt.

> > I'm still wondering about a potentially flaky injector, but as with
> > all the other responses you've gotten, this is just conjecture. The
> > only sure way to find and fix the fault is to get the car to a
> > competent diagnostician.

> Before the new pump, he said there was no fuel pressure.

Exactly my point. There are lots of reasons why there might be no fuel
pressure. It points to a problem with the fuel pump *or its extensive
control circuit which includes several relays, a great deal of wire, a
control computer and several switches and sensors* or the fuel pressure
regulator.