’94 Explorer - engine still dies when driving

Old June 6th 05, 06:37 PM
redcat

Default ’94 Explorer - engine still dies when driving

I had posted in early May that the engine would die while I was
driving. We got some great feedback (thanks so much) and immediately
had the battery replaced and the cables checked (they were ok). The
car is still doing it. The radio will stay on and power windows work,
but the battery light comes on and power steering won’t work while the
car cuts out. We are going to take it to a Ford Dealership to have it
looked at rather than to our regular mechanic. Someone else suggested
a fuel filter, which we will have them look at. Would anyone have any
other ideas?
Thanks!!

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict122506.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=595829
Old June 9th 05, 05:38 AM
Erik

redcat wrote:
> I had posted in early May that the engine would die while I was
> driving. We got some great feedback (thanks so much) and immediately
> had the battery replaced and the cables checked (they were ok). The
> car is still doing it. The radio will stay on and power windows work,
> but the battery light comes on and power steering won't work while the
> car cuts out. We are going to take it to a Ford Dealership to have it
> looked at rather than to our regular mechanic. Someone else suggested
> a fuel filter, which we will have them look at. Would anyone have any
> other ideas?
> Thanks!!

I can't help per se, but I've also got a '94 Ford Explorer. Please
post to this newsgroup when you find out what's going on with your
vehicle. For myself, my explorer is fine driving and idling, but will
die if I turn it off and then back on within a few minutes. If I leave
it alone for, say, half an hour, it starts fine. I've replaced the
battery, spark plug wires, sparkplugs, air filter and fuel filter.
Still does it. Very frustrating.

Best of Luck,
Erik

Old June 9th 05, 01:35 PM
redcat

"Erik" wrote:
> redcat wrote:
> > I had posted in early May that the engine would die while I

> was
> > driving. We got some great feedback (thanks so much) and

> immediately
> > had the battery replaced and the cables checked (they were

> ok). The
> > car is still doing it. The radio will stay on and power

> windows work,
> > but the battery light comes on and power steering won't work

> while the
> > car cuts out. We are going to take it to a Ford Dealership

> to have it
> > looked at rather than to our regular mechanic. Someone else

> suggested
> > a fuel filter, which we will have them look at. Would anyone

> have any
> > other ideas?
> > Thanks!!

> I can't help per se, but I've also got a '94 Ford Explorer.
> Please
> post to this newsgroup when you find out what's going on with
> your
> vehicle. For myself, my explorer is fine driving and idling,
> but will
> die if I turn it off and then back on within a few minutes.
> If I leave
> it alone for, say, half an hour, it starts fine. I've
> replaced the
> battery, spark plug wires, sparkplugs, air filter and fuel
> filter.
> Still does it. Very frustrating.
>
> Best of Luck,
> Erik

We took it to a Ford Dealership last week for diagnostics. They could
not get the engine to stall, but did get it to “not start”. It was
all in the relays. While we were concentrating on the Fuel Pump
Relay, it turned out to be the two located above. They were corroded.
They disassembled the fuse box and cleaned and adjusted the fuse
relays (I’m quoting from their diagnostic sheet). It then retested
ok. They worked on it for 4 hours (trying to figure it out), gave us
a 12 month guarantee, and the whole thing only cost $75!!!! So far,
it’s been running really well. Hope this helps, good luck!

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict122506.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=602516