Watering down the brand

Old May 31st 05, 03:56 AM
MidnightDad

I feel compelled to say this about Paul >'s comments:

>On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:36:07 -0400, MidnightDad , said the following in
>rec.autos.driving...
>
>> Assuming they're aimed correctly, what's wrong with using foglights on
>> a clear night?

>Key words: "aimed correctly." Most of what end up in my eyes are
>obviously not properly aimed. If they were, they should not be blinding
>like highbeams. Those are the ones I am referring to.

But your rant was directed at those people (pretentious you called
them) who use their foglights on a clear night. Even on a foggy
night, improperly aimed lights would be in your eyes. So which is it
- pretentious on a clear night or misaligned on a foggy one? I think
you're confused.
Old May 31st 05, 04:33 AM
Gudmundur

In article >, says...

>I feel compelled to say this about Paul >'s comments:
>
>>On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:38:34 -0000, Gudmundur , said the following in
>>rec.autos.driving...
>>
>>> Or it means you are to self important to use turn signals, and to
>>> f--king stupid to turn off your fog lamps in traffic when it isn't
>>> foggy. What kind of a jackass drives with H.I.D. headlamps, and fog
>>> lamps lit, in traffic, on a clear night???

>>The jackass with the mentality that "I paid for the things, so I'm going
>>to use them." I just wish the cops had the spine enough to ticket some of
>>these jerkwads like I have when I throw my highbeams back at them. Just
>>once, I'd like to get one of those Nite-Sun assemblies that they put on
>>helicopters and use it on one of these pretentious foglight-on-a-clear-
>>night using dicks.
>>

>Assuming they're aimed correctly, what's wrong with using foglights on
>a clear night?

Because it is to damn much light to oncoming traffic, and offense glare
in the rear view. Because they are called FOG lamps, and not STUPID ****S
USE THEM ALL THE TIME LAMPS, and because if it isn't foggy, snowing, raining
or smokey, then you are using them as AUXILLIARY LAMPS, and that is
forbidden under section 725 of Pennsylvania Law, except where use of
high beams would also be proper. Why don't you understand that fog lights
on clear nights being used in traffic indicates you are a Darwinian moron????

Old May 31st 05, 12:53 PM
Paul

On Mon, 30 May 2005 22:56:05 -0400, MidnightDad , said the following in
rec.autos.driving...

> But your rant was directed at those people (pretentious you called
> them) who use their foglights on a clear night. Even on a foggy
> night, improperly aimed lights would be in your eyes. So which is it
> - pretentious on a clear night or misaligned on a foggy one? I think
> you're confused.

Both are equally annoying. People who have to show off that they have fog
lights by using them on a clear night (The "Hey, look at me!! I gots fog
lights," mentality) are of little to no use to me. And the people who
have the misaligned fog lights just plain scare me (while simultaneously
blinding me) as it says loads about how they drive/maintain the rest of
their vehicle. And off hand, I'd say that there is a lot of overlap in
the two groups.
Old May 31st 05, 07:45 PM
Dan J.S.

"MidnightDad" > wrote in message
> Why do car manufacturers insist on watering down their brand? Owning
> a Mercedes, Porsche, or BMW used to mean something. It used to mean
> that you were in an elite class of people who were successful enough
> to own a top of the line machine. The cost of these cars put them
> above the reach of the vast majority. Now, anyone with $30K can have
> one. Granted, it's a watered down version of the original auto that
> made the brand significant, but nonetheless, you get to call yourself
> a BMW-owner (for example). I can just imaging the ire of the person
> who finally reaches a position in life where they can afford to buy a
> $90,000 911 only to pull up next to some dick in a Boxster who just
> graduated college. Don't these manufacturers realize they are
> sacrificing the long-term reputation and legend of their brand for the
> short-term infusion of cash?

Why don't manufacturers of BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover and other exotics
brands actually start making reliable cars?! I can afford one, but I end up
driving bland looking Lexuses because BMWs spend more time in the shop than
on the road!

Old June 1st 05, 09:27 PM
223rem

MidnightDad wrote:

> Assuming they're aimed correctly, what's wrong with using foglights on
> a clear night?

Or during the day. Absoultely nothing. What the hell, you paid good money for
those fancy lights!I hope your rear fog light is on at all times too.
Old June 1st 05, 09:29 PM
Ignasi Palou-Rivera

223rem > writes:
> MidnightDad wrote:
> >
> > Assuming they're aimed correctly, what's wrong with using foglights
> > on
> > a clear night?

> Or during the day. Absoultely nothing. What the hell, you paid good money for
> those fancy lights!I hope your rear fog light is on at all times too.

Absolutely. Announcing one's stupidity to the world is always a good idea.

--
Ignasi.
(using SPAM trap e-mail address)
Old June 1st 05, 09:30 PM
223rem

Gudmundur wrote:

> I like, my truck cost me under $5000 to hand build from stuff I found
> in my grandfather's back yard. Tell me again why he paid over 50K????

Top-notch handling, traction control, stability control,
Power and torque arent everything, you know.

> I get less miles per gallon, but way more fun per dollar!!!!

More fun than taking that Merc on a twisty mountain road?
Old January 14th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Watering down the brand

MidnightDad wrote:
> Why do car manufacturers insist on watering down their brand?

More owners = more sales.

More sales = expanding market share

Expanding market share in theory = higher stock price

Higher stsock price = execs can move up their own career ladders

Any other questions?

John

Old January 14th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

C.H. wrote:

> But if you need to complain about that you are not rich enough to afford
> top-of-the-line anyways. People, who are that rich, don't care about the
> Boxster, they may even have one in the garage for the girlfriend or wife.

Or both!

John

Old January 14th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Paul wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 22:56:05 -0400, MidnightDad , said the following in
> rec.autos.driving...
>

>> But your rant was directed at those people (pretentious you called
>> them) who use their foglights on a clear night. Even on a foggy
>> night, improperly aimed lights would be in your eyes. So which is it
>> - pretentious on a clear night or misaligned on a foggy one? I think
>> you're confused.

> Both are equally annoying. People who have to show off that they have fog
> lights by using them on a clear night (The "Hey, look at me!! I gots fog
> lights," mentality) are of little to no use to me.

How do you know that's why they're doing it? Can you read their minds, too.

You sound like the self-impressed full-of-crap one who is of no use to
anyone.

John