C4 Question

Old May 27th 05, 07:59 PM
YT

Default C4 Question

Hi,

I've been looking at a C4 Convertible from 86 to buy. Its in a reasonable
condition.

What are the things to watch out for ?

A question I have is : i pulled the radiatorcap and there seemed to be some
pressure on the cooling system. Is this normal ?

Thanks

YT

Old May 28th 05, 09:23 PM
Scubabix

I'll let more experienced Vette owners answer the what to watch for. As far
as the cooling system having pressure, that's what the caps for. By keeping
the system under pressure, it prevents the coolant boiling over at lower
temps.

Rob

.nl...

Old May 31st 05, 04:18 PM

> A question I have is : i pulled the radiatorcap and there seemed to be some
> pressure on the cooling system. Is this normal ?

Are you serious?

I suggest you take someone with you that knows about cars instead of
trying to figure it out yourself.

Old June 1st 05, 05:05 PM
Tom in Missouri

Maybe he should wait until the temperature gauge reads about 210 before
pulling the cap off. ha ha

There will be pressure - lots of it - and a lot of very hot coolant spraying
out all over you the hotter the car is. People get seriously hurt by doing
what you did. Count yourself lucky. NEVER remove a radiator cap if the car
is hot or warm.

To start with, I suggest you read the owner's manual from cover to cover.
Most never do, because they already know how to operate a car, but if you
are pulling radiator caps off and don't know there is pressure there, you'd
better start on page 1.

ups.com...

Old June 1st 05, 05:16 PM

Tom in Missouri wrote:
> Maybe he should wait until the temperature gauge reads about 210 before
> pulling the cap off. ha ha

I think I finally know why there are warning labels on hair dryers.

Old June 1st 05, 05:25 PM
Tom in Missouri

It goes along with the lawn mower warnings - Do Not Place Hands under Here
when Running.

Let's see, it cuts grass, but it won't hurt my fingers????

It is a shame- it would help clean up the gene pool if there weren't so many
warnings to protect the, well how do I get "politically correct" on this,
stupid. The dumb and dumber continue to grow and breed and make even dumber
ones.

oups.com...

Old June 1st 05, 06:51 PM
Greg

Not everyone knows a lot about cars, he was just asking a question.
My suggestion is to take the car to a professional wrench that is
familiar with Corvettes and have him do a pre purchase inspection. if
it is a late 86 with aluminum heads you might want him to do a
chemical test to see if there is any presence of combustion chamber
gases in the cooling system.
make sure all of the switches ie if it has the sport seats, do the
lumbar supports still inflate? and do lights work and there are no
diagnostic trouble codes set.
Greg

Old June 1st 05, 08:16 PM
JOEVET

Good point: do the lights work? That one cost me some time and money
before I figured it out. Seems easy now,but at the time I also was an
amatuer Vette owner. It may have been a stupid question but he sure knows
the answer now.

Old June 1st 05, 08:53 PM
RicSeyler

hehehe, you guys are ruthless :-)

I was thinking he might know enough to think the "pressure"
was bubbles flowing in the coolant (ie head gasket blown) but if he
knew bubbles flowing was something to look out for, he should already
be aware of a head gasket causing it. <shrugs shoulders> :-)

Anyone remember the outdoor game JARTS? From the 60's.....
Can you imagine that being sold now? LOLOL
Lets get a group of kids together and have them hurl 2 pound metal
sharpened projectiles at each other.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old June 2nd 05, 03:02 PM
lab~rat

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:53:24 -0500, RicSeyler >
puked:

>hehehe, you guys are ruthless :-)
>
>I was thinking he might know enough to think the "pressure"
>was bubbles flowing in the coolant (ie head gasket blown) but if he
>knew bubbles flowing was something to look out for, he should already
>be aware of a head gasket causing it. <shrugs shoulders> :-)
>
>Anyone remember the outdoor game JARTS? From the 60's.....
>Can you imagine that being sold now? LOLOL
>Lets get a group of kids together and have them hurl 2 pound metal
>sharpened projectiles at each other.

I have a set of those at home. I guess they're collector items...
--
lab~rat >:-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?