Rumours about the new (if any) Cobra

Old March 9th 05, 09:21 PM
RichA

Default Rumours about the new (if any) Cobra

That it will have a solid rear axel. Is
this a message that Mustang will be confined
to drag racing and will forgo any attempts
at road racing, does Ford see the market as
wanting it instead of IRS?
-Rich
Old March 9th 05, 11:22 PM
WraithCobra

RichA wrote:
> That it will have a solid rear axel. Is
> this a message that Mustang will be confined
> to drag racing and will forgo any attempts
> at road racing, does Ford see the market as
> wanting it instead of IRS?
> -Rich

The bean counters at Ford think the IRS will cost too much to develop, those
are the rumors anyway. Too bad the new Mustang platform was designed with an
IRS in mind but Ford is going to cheap out and stick with a solid axle
leaving those of us eagerly awaiting something that can actually handle out
in the cold. The Terminator Cobras were the fastest and 2nd best handling
Mustangs released by ford, the Cobra R being the best handler and 2nd
fastest. Some of us were hoping for something from the factory that could
finally keep up with other sport coupes in the twisties, Hau Thai-Tang even
mentioned an "M fighter". I say the "bean counters" are ruining this
country. The Cobra, or what is near final design will be unveiled at the NY
Auto Show at the end of this month.
--
Mike
Silver 10th Anniversary Cobra Coupe

Old March 10th 05, 02:00 AM

I think the real reason is that if they put IRS on the Mustang it
would cheapen the other DEW platform cars, the Lincoln LS and the
Jaguar S-type.

180 Out

Old March 10th 05, 03:17 AM
Brent P

In article >, WraithCobra wrote:

> The bean counters at Ford think the IRS will cost too much to develop, those
> are the rumors anyway. Too bad the new Mustang platform was designed with an
> IRS in mind but Ford is going to cheap out and stick with a solid axle
> leaving those of us eagerly awaiting something that can actually handle out
> in the cold. The Terminator Cobras were the fastest and 2nd best handling
> Mustangs released by ford, the Cobra R being the best handler and 2nd
> fastest. Some of us were hoping for something from the factory that could
> finally keep up with other sport coupes in the twisties, Hau Thai-Tang even
> mentioned an "M fighter". I say the "bean counters" are ruining this
> country. The Cobra, or what is near final design will be unveiled at the NY
> Auto Show at the end of this month.

It's not really bean counters. I think that's the wrong term. It's the
mentality of MBAs and such that run US corporations. They simply think
they can cheat on things like the suspension and nobody will notice. And
for the most part, the moron majority that buys cars in the USA won't.
That's why we get crap in this market compared to what Ford sells
overseas. Nobody can tell me that the Ford 500 is a better car than the
Falcon sold down under. Ford tried to sell the Taurus head to head with
the Falcon and the Taurus was clearly the hunk of crap it is when
compared with a real car.

Ford made a best-they-could IRS for the SN95, a platform that was evolved
from one that never had IRS as a consideration. So that IRS had some
issues for drag racers. Now Ford is going to use that as their excuse to
cheapen the cobra. If the likes of drag racers is really such a big deal,
there's this thing called an option sheet to deal with that. Make one
standard and the other an option. Make the IRS standard and the solid a
no-cost option, charge an extra $500 for the IRS, something. This isn't
rocket science.

I want a car that handles. I don't want to have to buy an aftermarket
rear suspension. I've never gotten around to redoing the rear suspension
on my '97 GT. I want to buy it out of the box, at least to some decent
degree. Between their cheapening of the products and their instant
collectable marketing Ford is sending me a message that they don't want
my business. I'd love it if the new cobra met my standards for my next
new car, but it's just doesn't seem likely that it will. I'll just have
to pony up extra money for a used 911 or a BMW or something. I am not
opposed to 6 cylinders if I can get the performance I want out of the
car. I actually like inline 6s. The cobra is going to boil down to it's
V8, the rest of the car being more-or-less run-of-the-mill mustang the
way things are shaping up.

Old March 11th 05, 04:49 AM
Rein

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:21:31 -0500, RichA > wrote:

>That it will have a solid rear axel. Is
>this a message that Mustang will be confined
>to drag racing and will forgo any attempts
>at road racing, does Ford see the market as
>wanting it instead of IRS?
>-Rich

maybe it's because it has so much horsepower that it can only stay in
one piece with a strong solid axle ?
Hey, the Mustang GT has the best implementation of a solid axle ever
made. They might go one step further with that. who knows. Just stop
the speculation and wait until it's officially released.

Old March 11th 05, 06:54 PM
Brent P

In article >, Rein wrote:

> maybe it's because it has so much horsepower that it can only stay in
> one piece with a strong solid axle ?

Bah. unless we're talking 2000 hp or something here...

> Hey, the Mustang GT has the best implementation of a solid axle ever
> made.

Basis for this statement? I assume you mean an '05, because the SN95
certainly doesn't in stock form.