Radiator leak

Old January 11th 05, 03:07 AM
Deputy Dog

Default Radiator leak

I discovered that I have a small radiator leak. its on the passenger side
bottom portion. on a seam. The leak looses very little, enough to leave a
6inch damp spot under the car on days or nights when the temp goes under
30degrees.(temp above 30, no leak) Is there some type of stop leak stuff I
can add to the coolant or is the radiator up for replacement or repair?

--
Dave
96 Rio Red GTS with a few goodies

Old January 11th 05, 03:13 AM
.boB

Deputy Dog wrote:

> I discovered that I have a small radiator leak. its on the passenger side
> bottom portion. on a seam. The leak looses very little, enough to leave a
> 6inch damp spot under the car on days or nights when the temp goes under
> 30degrees.(temp above 30, no leak) Is there some type of stop leak stuff I
> can add to the coolant or is the radiator up for replacement or repair?

Your cheapest option is to take it to a shop and
have it repaired. But, it will probably spring another
leak somewhere else in the near future.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Old January 11th 05, 03:42 AM
Cory Dunkle

JB-Weld works wonders. I've used it on radiators and it has held 'till I
sold the cars. Putting stuff in your radiator is only asking for engine
trouble...

Old January 11th 05, 04:00 AM

I'm not sure how hot a radiator gets... and while I realize JB Weld has its
limits.. I'd try it out. Of course, if the radiator is old.. you could end
up getting another leak elsewhere. Make sure you let the JB Weld fully
cure... and btw, don't ever put the radiator stop leak crap in your radiator
:P.

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

Old January 11th 05, 04:19 AM
Jim Warman

If it was my car, there'd be a new rad in there, now. I can't speak for
anyone else but my life is a little too important to me to trust my
timetable to jerry rigged repairs.

Cooling systems deteriorate from the inside out..... (except, of course for
punctures)...... If it's getting bad in one spot, it'll be getting bad in
others.

Old January 11th 05, 03:00 PM
Deputy Dog

Thanks Jim,
Not what I wanted to hear, but probly what I needed to hear. A new radiator
being researched as I type.

Dave

Old January 11th 05, 05:17 PM
Lucas4927

Don't use any of the stop leak products.

Remove and repair.

The stop leak products will get trapped in all kids of places you don't want
it.

Old January 11th 05, 07:05 PM
Garth Almgren

Around 1/11/2005 6:00 AM, Deputy Dog wrote:

> Thanks Jim,
> Not what I wanted to hear, but probly what I needed to hear. A new radiator
> being researched as I type.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tegory=33 602

Great prices on OEM radiators. I bought a 3 row and I was impressed with
how quickly it arrived.

--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |