2000 Dodge Grand Caravan -Engine Light on and Radiator fans spinining

Old October 5th 04, 03:08 AM
JohnB

Default 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan -Engine Light on and Radiator fans spinining

My wife went to work today and the engine light came on our Dodge 2000 Grand
Caravan. When I arrived to check it out, it would not start and the 2
radiator fans were spinning. It appears that the battery was drained, none
of the electrical components work windows, locks etc.

Has anyone had a similar experience, any ideas what might be going on with
the van?

I took it to a shop that indicated that they needed to charge the battery up
before they could troubleshoot the van.

--

JohnB

Old October 5th 04, 02:01 PM
Geary Morton

Sounds like the infamous fan relay, a small, $75 solid state device
located on the frame, just underneath the air filter. You can install
it in 15-20 minutes with an 8mm nut driver, or pay the dealer $60 labor.

Old October 5th 04, 02:01 PM
Geary Morton

Old October 6th 04, 05:10 PM
JohnB

I took it to the shop and they could find nothing wrong with it. They
indicated that the relays can stick due to low voltage, and 3 of them were
stuck. They charged the battery and reseated the relays. We will see...

Old October 6th 04, 05:10 PM
JohnB

Old October 6th 04, 06:42 PM
Geary Morton

The fan relay can be deceptive when it begins to fail. Keep your eye on
the temp guage at long idles. If it runs hot, either quickly get moving
or turn it off - easy to blow a head gasket on this engine.

Old October 6th 04, 06:42 PM
Geary Morton