how to get rid of rust

Old November 25th 04, 04:43 AM
george taylor

Default how to get rid of rust

I am starting restoring my 70 bug. The question is there is some rust ,
mostly surface, on the rain gutter. the body shop that painted it the first
time did not pain the car correctly so the rust has blistered the pain and
was wondering how I should go at the rust? I do know that there is some
under the pinch weld (between the side panel and the roof pane) but how
should I get rid of it? I really do not want to have to cut off the rain
gutter and weld in a new one if I can avoid it.
George

Old November 25th 04, 05:09 AM
vwhunter

Hi George:
The best way for you to get the rust out of any beatle is to
burn the ****er to the ground, and i mean to the ground use a mix of about
80 to 1 ( 80 being petrol and 1 being a match) or if you have any further
enquires pls take you vehicle to a reputal mechanic glad i could help.

Old November 25th 04, 03:32 PM
Bill Spiliotopoulos

There is no weld, (maybe just spot welds) , but the side pannel and the roof
pannel are folded together and pressed, to form the rain gutter lip. This
is a difficult area to rust proof, because rust is hidden inside the seam.
The best you can do is to completelly remove all layers of paint to bare
metal with a wire wheel. Remove all the rust that you can with the wire
wheel. Then paint with a rust converter and then epoxy primer. This way you
seal the rust fairlly good, but it is not 100% guaranteed that rust won't
show up again in the rain gutter seam.

Bill,
'67 Bug.

Old November 25th 04, 07:00 PM
Wolfgang

I would sand blast the area real well. then use metal conditioner
(phosphoric acid), prime, and fill and spaces with seam sealer, reprime and
then final coat.