Advice on a decent shop press?

Old September 12th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Max Moor

Default Advice on a decent shop press?

Hi All,
I have a friend with an auto shop, but he doesn't have his own press.
He's helped me out a lot over the years, and I thought getting him a decent
press would be a good way to say thank you. I don't know much about them,
though.

He can fix just about anything, but has a fairly small shop, so works
mostly on family cars and trucks. Fords are his specialty. Commercial
vehicals are rare. I only have about $500 to spend, so I know I can't get
one of the monster presses. I'm hoping to find something useful that isn't
just cheapo crap for those dollars, though. Some of the things I'd like to
know...

What capacity would best suit him? Is 20 tons enough?

Hydraulic? Air? "Jack" type?

Is a benchtop press worth considering?

I've seen some less expensive presses from the likes of Ranger Products
and AFF? Anyone have experience with these?

My appologies for this being a bit off topic for this group, but I
figured other techs that use these things all the time would be the best
folks to ask.

Thanks for the help,
Max
Old September 12th 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article > ,
Max Moor > wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have a friend with an auto shop, but he doesn't have his own press.
> He's helped me out a lot over the years, and I thought getting him a decent
> press would be a good way to say thank you. I don't know much about them,
> though.
>
> He can fix just about anything, but has a fairly small shop, so works
> mostly on family cars and trucks. Fords are his specialty. Commercial
> vehicals are rare. I only have about $500 to spend, so I know I can't get
> one of the monster presses. I'm hoping to find something useful that isn't
> just cheapo crap for those dollars, though. Some of the things I'd like to
> know...
>
> What capacity would best suit him? Is 20 tons enough?

20 tons will handle most automotive jobs.

> Hydraulic? Air? "Jack" type?

"H" frame with a bottle jack works fine. I don't like the air
powered ones, the air control gives less feel and control of the
ram.

> Is a benchtop press worth considering?

Not really. You need a full sized press (full height) when doing
some axle bearings such as might be found on a Ford 9" rear axle.

> I've seen some less expensive presses from the likes of Ranger Products
> and AFF? Anyone have experience with these?

Something like this would serve him well I think.
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/mtn5720.html
Just be certain that he has the floor space in his shop, wouldn't
want this thing out in the rain getting rusty.

> My appologies for this being a bit off topic for this group, but I
> figured other techs that use these things all the time would be the best
> folks to ask.

Not off topic at all, glad to give my 2 cents.