VIN?

Old March 2nd 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default VIN?

I know the VIN is on a shiny strip under the driver's window. Is there
anywhere else it is stamped in?
Old March 2nd 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

it is on each door each fender.. the hood trunk all over

Old March 2nd 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"J. Sprauer" > wrote in message
. com...
> it is on each door each fender.. the hood trunk all over
>

> "elaich" > wrote in message ...
>> I know the VIN is on a shiny strip under the driver's window. Is there
>> anywhere else it is stamped in?

It depends on the year of the car as to where the VIN can be found.
--
Scott W.
'68 Ranchero 500 302

Old March 3rd 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"J. Sprauer" > wrote in news:r9ENf.55686$dW3.51784
@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

> it is on each door each fender.. the hood trunk all over

What would be the point of stamping the VIN on removable parts like those,
that may possibly end up transplanted onto another vehicle at some point?

I have heard that the VIN is stamped into the frame or undercarriage.
However, if there is no standard place for it to be stamped, that wouldn't
do much good, would it?
Old March 3rd 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

in case they are stolen i guess... i dont build them so i dont know but my
jeeps and mustangs have the vin on every panel

Old March 3rd 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"elaich" > wrote in message ...
:I know the VIN is on a shiny strip under the driver's window. Is there
: anywhere else it is stamped in?

Why, you planning to steal one and swap out the numbers ???/ LOL

j/k

Kate

Old March 4th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"elaich" > wrote in message ...
> "J. Sprauer" > wrote in news:r9ENf.55686$dW3.51784
> @newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:
>
>> it is on each door each fender.. the hood trunk all over

> What would be the point of stamping the VIN on removable parts like those,
> that may possibly end up transplanted onto another vehicle at some point?
>
> I have heard that the VIN is stamped into the frame or undercarriage.
> However, if there is no standard place for it to be stamped, that wouldn't
> do much good, would it?

Jesus Christ people. It goes back to WHAT YEAR THE CAR WAS MADE!!! It's not
ALL OVER THE CAR!! There are very specific places that the VIN is stamped.
It depends on when and where the car was built as to where the stamps are
located.

Old March 4th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

There are places that are obvious and there are places that we don't
suspect.... vehicle theft delivers a pretty big hit to the GNP and other
numbers.... The manufacturers hace placed VIN indcators in many places....
in my day job, I run across the odd one... but I sure haven't seen every
one....

Old March 4th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
: There are places that are obvious and there are places that we don't
: suspect.... vehicle theft delivers a pretty big hit to the GNP and other
: numbers.... The manufacturers hace placed VIN indcators in many places....
: in my day job, I run across the odd one... but I sure haven't seen every
: one....
:

I think he's up to no good.

yep, I do.

KJK

Old March 4th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"KJ.Kate" > wrote in news:8V%Nf.5134$f6.3869
@bignews1.bellsouth.net:

> Why, you planning to steal one and swap out the numbers ???/ LOL

Nah. A buddy has a decrepit old Pinto that he loves, but wants to find a
nicer one. However, his is smog exempt (1975 model) and the one he found is
a '77 that would never pass smog. He was toying with the idea of swapping
the VIN plates that are located under the windshield. I urged him not to do
it, because I was sure that the VIN is also stamped into the body in other
places.